Hydros Control 2 , Control 4 and accessories question and answer thread.

Bob Tiffany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good info here, but I can't find the answer to my specific question. I've read online that any wifi controllable power strips or outlets will work with the Hydros system, and that you don't have to use their specific power strip. Is there any power strip that anyone here has used that you would recommend over the Hydros strip, or is theirs just as good as any of the aftermarket options available? I'm looking at the Hydros Control 4 for my new Waterbox tank, I'm really liking the looks of this system. Thanks!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros comes with a mounting bracket and they are only 39.99. I don't see any reason to go with another unless it is an emergency type of thing where you need one in a hurry. I have not tried any of the others. Home Depot had one on their website that looks like the Hydros but it was more than 39.99 and didn't have the mounting bracket.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of good info here, but I can't find the answer to my specific question. I've read online that any wifi controllable power strips or outlets will work with the Hydros system, and that you don't have to use their specific power strip. Is there any power strip that anyone here has used that you would recommend over the Hydros strip, or is theirs just as good as any of the aftermarket options available? I'm looking at the Hydros Control 4 for my new Waterbox tank, I'm really liking the looks of this system. Thanks!
Not any WIFI powerstrip will work, its a couple by Usee link but I wasn't willing to pay $25 to $30 for a power strip to see if it works when the Hydros one is $10 more and comes with the mounting bracket.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question, I'm not sure if this was asked but do the maxspect gyres plug directly i into the unit or would i need an extra cable?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I'm not sure if this was asked but do the maxspect gyres plug directly i into the unit or would i need an extra cable?
The Wave Engine is compatible. It does require a adapter cable. The cable is model specific so lookup the model you have to get the right cable for the Wave Engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I have not been notifications when there are post in this thread.

I actually use the Baylite temp controller with updated probe linked below as main and use the Hydros as a safety.
I have also heard the samething that was said in previous post that plug strip receptacles are not rated to cycle on and off that much and can lead to premature failure. I am not sure what Coralvue stance is on those plug strips but I have always done this. I have with my DA, Apex and my Hydros.

The Baylite controller are so cheap in price and they have worked very well for me.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cwentz758 @rockdiver How did you like the new feeder? thinking of getting one. Do you know if you can program the an outlet (like pump) to turn off when the feeder operate? Otherwise i'm afraid most of the food will just get to the overflow. Right now i turn on the Feed mode manually and then feed. If i can automated this with the feeder, that would be awesome!

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt get the hydros feeder I have a different one but really it's the exact same thing imo.
It's internet controlled and plugs in with a usb can set it to feed as many times as you want and I bought a separate "cup" it dumps into and I have the cup next to a powerhead and it pushes the food into the MIDDLE (height wise) of the tank and thruout the whole tank So no need to turn off the pumps, nothing goes into the overflow and the fish have fun chasing the food around.
Best thing I every bought for the tank and was less the 50 bucks lol

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cwentz758 @rockdiver How did you like the new feeder? thinking of getting one. Do you know if you can program the an outlet (like pump) to turn off when the feeder operate? Otherwise i'm afraid most of the food will just get to the overflow. Right now i turn on the Feed mode manually and then feed. If i can automated this with the feeder, that would be awesome!
I haven’t hooked mine up yet but I believe you can set your pumps feed time to align with your feeder

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone knows if the hydros ato pump will work with standard 1/4 ro tubing? If not, what tubing size will fit? I already have the water sensor and I want to get just the pump and tubing.

My control 2 don’t have extra sense port for an additional water sensor. I am using the temp and water level sensor right now.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone knows if the hydros ato pump will work with standard 1/4 ro tubing? If not, what tubing size will fit? I already have the water sensor and I want to get just the pump and tubing.

My control 2 don’t have extra sense port for an additional water sensor. I am using the temp and water level sensor right now.
  • Tubing (8.5mm OD - 6.5mm ID)

that's directly off coralvue under the ATO kit description

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Looks like a odd size tube. Any idea where I can get them?

With tubing you can always go slightly smaller it is flexible. Need to be close to the inside diameter.

6.5mm= 0.255906 inches so 1/4" tubing is perfect.

You can even go slightly bigger and use clamps or a zip tie sometimes but smaller is better and you should still use some sort of clamp either way.

I would bet most tubing is metric just converted to the nearest inches. Same for sheets of plexi and acrylic.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In a variation to what is described in this video, I'm hoping to add (2) dual TDS meters soon and place them between the different filters/membranes in the RODI system and connect them to the Hydros that runs my mixing station. I'm also planning to duplicate the booster pump with high pressure solenoid as well as the water feed solenoid controlled by the high and low water level sensors. I'm curious if anyone else has done this (or something comparable) and if you have any helpful insights?

Back