Hydros Control 2 , Control 4 and accessories question and answer thread.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The power strips are shutting off completely. If I understand it properly, Carlos says losing WiFi connection will not cause this.

I have tried two different power strips that are known to work on all plugs and the problem continues.

I now have each Hydros power bar in a different room and on different circuits to see what happens. Nothing is plugged into either Hydros power strip.

Yea that is weird. do they both shut off the exact same time? or is in like on shuts off and then a little latter the next.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea that is weird. do they both shut off the exact same time? or is in like on shuts off and then a little latter the next.
Not at the same time.

Well, it's been over 12 hours and no disconnects since moving them to a different room. Granted nothing is plugged into them but outlets are on.

I guess this narrows down what is going on? The way I see it is, it's one of three or four things. Losing WiFi and tripping everything up, I have something setup incorrectly, a piece of equipment is messing with them, and/or both non-Hydros power strips I used are bad. The last option is 99.9% unlikely since every plug has been checked and confirmed working. One is currently running the entire tank.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the same time.

Well, it's been over 12 hours and no disconnects since moving them to a different room. Granted nothing is plugged into them but outlets are on.

I guess this narrows down what is going on? The way I see it is, it's one of three or four things. Losing WiFi and tripping everything up, I have something setup incorrectly, a piece of equipment is messing with them, and/or both non-Hydros power strips I used are bad. The last option is 99.9% unlikely since every plug has been checked and confirmed working. One is currently running the entire tank.
The power strips you are plugging them into are not wifi strips are they?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The power strips you are plugging them into are not wifi strips are they?
One was and the other isn't.

Spoke with Michael from CV tonight for about 30 minutes. The issue is a power issue and not WiFi. Either a bad wall outlet (very unlikely) or a piece of equipment is faulty and grounding out (much more likely.)

I am testing each item one by one until I can get a multi meter to test what is leaking voltage.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One was and the other isn't.

Spoke with Michael from CV tonight for about 30 minutes. The issue is a power issue and not WiFi. Either a bad wall outlet (very unlikely) or a piece of equipment is faulty and grounding out (much more likely.)

I am testing each item one by one until I can get a multi meter to test what is leaking voltage.

I am sure they appreciate you doing this for them.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure they appreciate you doing this for them.

Micaheal says this is the first time they have heard of anything like this happening. Which is good becasue it adds to the knowledge base tp help others.

Of course, it would be me that has this happen.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for an update with this whole saga.

After my call on Thursday night, I added Power Bar 2 back in and slowly added equipment back on it. Heater, Mitras light, ATS lights, and then return pump. This was done over 2 days as time allowed. I had to give enough time in between each addition to see if I eventually got a notification. Happy to report not a single problem.

In the meantime, I had Power Bar 1 plugged in in a separate room but nothing plugged into it. I added PB1 to the power strip that PB2 is plugged into. Got a notification for both Power Bars that they weren't responding. 30 minutes later both sent a notification saying everything was fine. It was a quick glitch and nothing shut off in the process. 6 hours later and no other notifications or issues.

I will now start adding the three remaining pieces to PB1. They are a Tunze 6045, ATS Sicce pump, and Reefbreeders ATO. We'll see if anything interrupts the system and causes problems again. I'm also getting a multimeter to check for stray voltage.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update with this whole saga.

After my call on Thursday night, I added Power Bar 2 back in and slowly added equipment back on it. Heater, Mitras light, ATS lights, and then return pump. This was done over 2 days as time allowed. I had to give enough time in between each addition to see if I eventually got a notification. Happy to report not a single problem.

In the meantime, I had Power Bar 1 plugged in in a separate room but nothing plugged into it. I added PB1 to the power strip that PB2 is plugged into. Got a notification for both Power Bars that they weren't responding. 30 minutes later both sent a notification saying everything was fine. It was a quick glitch and nothing shut off in the process. 6 hours later and no other notifications or issues.

I will now start adding the three remaining pieces to PB1. They are a Tunze 6045, ATS Sicce pump, and Reefbreeders ATO. We'll see if anything interrupts the system and causes problems again. I'm also getting a multimeter to check for stray voltage.
To me it sounds more like the strips were loosing power intermittently. That would be whatever they are plugged into or the outlets causing it. Since when they were plugged in elsewhere there was no issues with them.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reefbrite metal halide is coming soon. Will Hydros Control 4 connect to the Reefbrite electronic dimmable ballast and controll it through the 0-10v or it doesnt support that yet?
Thanks

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me it sounds more like the strips were loosing power intermittently. That would be whatever they are plugged into or the outlets causing it. Since when they were plugged in elsewhere there was no issues with them.

That was the thought as well except it did it with 2 different power strips and it's not the wall outlet.

We'll see what the multi meter says when I get it

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my reefbrite metal halide is coming soon. Will Hydros Control 4 connect to the Reefbrite electronic dimmable ballast and controll it through the 0-10v or it doesnt support that yet?
Thanks

The Control 4 does 0-10v.

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me understand what pumps the drive port on the control 4 can work with?

Specifically I'm looking to drive my return pump an Octo VarioS 2 with one of these ports directly.

It looks like I can easily do this with the Wave engine module and an adaptor cable, but I was hoping to do this directly with the Control 4.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone help me understand what pumps the drive port on the control 4 can work with?

Specifically I'm looking to drive my return pump an Octo VarioS 2 with one of these ports directly.

It looks like I can easily do this with the Wave engine module and an adaptor cable, but I was hoping to do this directly with the Control 4.
You would need a WaveEngine for the Varios pump directly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You could do 0-10v but you would need the controller and power supply still.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of making an equipment cabinet, and am thinking of using the Hydros in the future.

Could someone please tell me how much room is needed from the back of the controller to the front with things connected?

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of making an equipment cabinet, and am thinking of using the Hydros in the future.

Could someone please tell me how much room is needed from the back of the controller to the front with things connected?
Four to five inches to account for the cables

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has there been any talk about adding parameter tracking?

For example, I send off an ATI ICP test every 6-8 weeks. I use Fusion right now to track everything so I can see a chart and try to calculate consumption. When I fully leave the Apex arena, I will have to find some other way to do this if Hydros doesn't. It can't be that complicated to build in a graphing feature. I'd think man hours would be the biggest hurdle

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to account for some future products go with at least 5 3/4". I just measured the thickest of one now that I am home. The Control 2 and Control XS can be installed sideways and take up less space like I did here.

15A2D28E-6605-4C5E-ACFF-D83B561CAC62.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back