Hydros owners - If someone was considering one- What would you tell them?

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go for the pro pack that comes with an X8 for your outlets. I think it's worth the upgrade.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be awesome if it'd the case.

I do think it's a cool idea for the hobyist that doesn't have pumps yet and is intimidated by setting them up, but its clearly a bad idea depending on how pump failhres would be handled. I assume they weren't going to make it super user friendly to swap them out, beyong that I wouldn't be able to use it due to the space I have to work with in my contriller area.
The pumps are super easy to maintain I’ve been told from talking to Carlos at RAP. the heads twist off easy with 1 screw. As for the stepper motors, they are easily replaceable and connect to the circuit board with a easy push connector.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a modest collective (Hydros-speak for collection of related Hydros components) consisting of an XP8 and X4 (purchased together as a pro pack). I have been running it since May (my first and only controller on my first reef tank). Overall I am happy I with my choice to go with Hydros (but may have been just as happy with another brand of controller).

Pros:
1. Seems to be slightly more cost-effective than some other choices out there (but not a huge difference).
2. I have found the set-up to be fairly straightforward.
3. 0-10V input and output (on some devices) offers some nice flexibility, especially in terms of DIY add-ons.
4. A decent amount of Hydros-dedicated components (sensors, valves, probes, etc.) and they continually add stuff.
5. A supportive user community with a few "heavy hitters" who regularly provide reliable advice and suggestions.
6. Overall good, responsive tech support and warranty support (in my limited experience).
7. Fairly good online manual and documentation.
8. App UI is readily configurable and easy to understand at-a-glance (in my experience).
9. You have quite a bit of flexibility in how you configure inputs/outputs. Actions and dependencies can go from simple to "compound" as needed, without too much difficulty.

Cons:
1. You are limited in the hardware you can control (as with ANY/ALL controller brands), so do a bit of research.
2. Component choice not as "deep" as some other brands, for example:
No salinity probe (yet).
Limited options in terms of an integrated, precision doser.
etc.
3. App UI could be improved in some ways (to be fair, still under active development, I believe), for example:
No easy way to get good historical data (e.g., in an exported CSV format).
Graphing/data visualization is a bit clunky and could be improved.
It would be nice to have a place to record testing parameters.
4. Some users have struggled with the wi-fi power strips, including loss of connectivity at crucial moments.
5. No automated testing unit within the Hydros family (although you can use Alkatronic or Mastertronic stuff).

These are just the ones the come to mind at the moment. I am certain there are some great pros and annoying cons I am forgetting. Like I said above, overall I am happy with it, and would like to my eventually add to my Hydros collective (e.g., wave engine if only it could power wavemakers/umps that I prefer using).

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just added a Hydros X4 Pro to my system a month ago and it’s been great. Switched from a Profilux which never seemed to work or monitor properly for me.

Right now I only have it controlling airflow from my air scrubber to my skimmer via a motorized gate valve connected to a 0-10v and it dialed in my pH within 2 days. Otherwise, the only other real plan is to control RODI with a Hi-Lo sensor (nervewracking).

Otherwise, I haven’t had any real need for the power strip, yet, and sort of wish the Pro module could be sold without the strip as it seems Hydros can work with any compatible smart outlet.

I do have other systems working alongside the Hydros however. Reef Factory (KH Keeper, Doser and incoming Smart Roller), AI for my Nero 7s, Kessil/Orphek for lighting.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually going back to Hydros after switching to Apex a little over a year ago.

Originally I had the X2 and a power strip with some other add ons. Everything worked great no issues and the system would re connect after a power outage no hiccups.

I went the apex route specifically for the trident. However I’ve had nothing with issues with it staying connected after a power outage and end up having to reset the whole system to get it working. Along with some other random issues.

Hydros app was very straight forward and enjoyed using it. Now I’m coming back probably with the X4 and an X8. With all these new gadgets coming out I’m very looking forward to getting back on the wagon.

I feel Neptune has been stagnant with new advances for its system.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my hydros I have the x2 starter pack on my 32g aio with temp probe ato kit and the wifi strip. I like the IP 65 rating. The app seems simple yet powerful I have never had an issue with the wifi connectivity on the strip. If my wifi goes down everything still works. The temp probe always stays with .1 degree of my set temp of 78. The only time my temp goes down is when I water change it drops to 76. The ato can be set to turn off if it so happens to get stuck on with some advanced settings. Which it never has got stuck on. I'm sure apex can make modes but I custom made feed mode and water change mode to auto turn off return ato and wave maker.

I will most likely be getting the kraken and x10 for my waterbox at a later date.

I really wanted to try apex on my new waterbox build but man its sooo much more expensive and from outside looking in at apex. The only thing I feel it has over hydros is the trident and the ato for apex can be standalone without a controller where as hydros currently cannot.

Screenshot_20231020_155616.jpg
Screenshot_20231020_155556.jpg

Last edited:

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually going back to Hydros after switching to Apex a little over a year ago.

Originally I had the X2 and a power strip with some other add ons. Everything worked great no issues and the system would re connect after a power outage no hiccups.

I went the apex route specifically for the trident. However I’ve had nothing with issues with it staying connected after a power outage and end up having to reset the whole system to get it working. Along with some other random issues.

Hydros app was very straight forward and enjoyed using it. Now I’m coming back probably with the X4 and an X8. With all these new gadgets coming out I’m very looking forward to getting back on the wagon.

I feel Neptune has been stagnant with new advances for its system.
I am def getting the controller with the dosing pumps and the Isolated testing station.

The fact that the compenents are so easily replaceable, and it has a ton of preconfigurations for it in the app I am hyped on it.

Can use it for testing AND AWC at the same time. So dang cool. With room for expandability using other dosing pumps if testing automatically becomes more elaborate as it seems it will be here in the near future.

I might even take the dive once I pay my affirm off and get a kracken and convert everything to it.

At first I only got hydros becayse apex looked like a toy design wise, and robotank/reef pi would all have been out of pocket so it wasn't an option at that monent. But I've set up some other tanks with reefpi now, and it's awesome don't get me wrong, but hydros on my main display has been great, the logic you can get the system to do goes so much further than I expected. If I could go back in time now, I would no question pick hydros again.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the X4 and XP8 and will be getting the Kraken when it comes out in the next couple of weeks.

I have to say I am quite impressed with the interface so far. I appreciate the intuitive approach to configuration rather than relying on if/then statements manually written out.

Although I wouldn't say the build quality is earth shattering, it certainly is far ahead of the Neptune lineup. The Bnc cables are a real nice touch and shows good attention to detail. The use of molex and USB around saltwater is a questionable choice. So thumbs up there.

Big thumbs down on the lack of a web interface though. Big miss for me on that.

I might do a review once I get the kraken.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a X4 and XP8 today. It is my first controller so there is that, but man I’m loving this thing already! It’s fairly simple to use and for a few how too’s Coralvue has several videos on YouTube. I’m installing a wave engine next in about a week so I’m excited for that.
I guess the most I can add to this topic is be aware that the controllers and xp8, are lighter weight than I expected, and plan on additional room in front of them for the cables. I built a recessed cabinet in my stand for them to mount to and made it 6” deep. It fills up that area so if your going to mount them like I did but behind door on your stand, you’ll need some depth.
IMG_9284.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back