Hydros owners- what was your previously used controller?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We are seeing so much innovation, add-ons and use of Hydros controller units.
I have seen them at two major reef events and been in the curiosity stage.

For those who own a Hydros-

- How easy was it to set the unit up?
- What controller if any did you own and how does it compare to hydros?
- Have you had problems connecting any components such as lights, pumps , etc to it?

What is the best thing you can say about using a Hydros unit? What cons of having unit if any?

I was a long time ReefKeeper owner and had the fear of going to Neptune which seemed complicated.
I am now a Long time Neptune owner/user and am now eyeing the hydros with the same fear I had with Apex unit.

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Hydros X3 and a Wi-Fi power strip. I am using it alongside my Reefkeeper elite which no longer connects to the internet. It was pretty easy to setup and was originally using it to just monitor temp and pH. I have since started controlling my refugium lighting, skimmer, and kalk reactor. I eventually want it to be a replacement for the Reefkeeper which I am still using for T5 dimming control.
Overall I like the hydros but find I would need to put more money into it to get the increased functionality.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three hydros controllers. They are simple to use ONCE you get them working. The connection part is not always as simple as its made out to be.
Example: I just wanted to shut down the pumps for a feeding at 11:15 AM every day. Well, apparently it can’t be done unless I have an actual auto feeder attached or I buy a wave engine to do this.
I run a Neptune on my display tank and the programming is much simpler in my opinion than trying to figure out what the hydros can or can’t do without placing an order for add on.
On another note, my wife loves the simplicity of the display to turn things on and off in the phone app vs the Neptune which she finds has too much information.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have three hydros controllers. They are simple to use ONCE you get them working. The connection part is not always as simple as its made out to be.
Example: I just wanted to shut down the pumps for a feeding at 11:15 AM every day. Well, apparently it can’t be done unless I have an actual auto feeder attached or I buy a wave engine to do this.
I run a Neptune on my display tank and the programming is much simpler in my opinion than trying to figure out what the hydros can or can’t do without placing an order for add on.
On another note, my wife loves the simplicity of the display to turn things on and off in the phone app vs the Neptune which she finds has too much information.
That was my concern versus Neptune

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure you can do this. I would add a generic output and configure the parameters accordingly. You just want the pump outlets off right?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are seeing so much innovation, add-ons and use of Hydros controller units.
I have seen them at two major reef events and been in the curiosity stage.

For those who own a Hydros-

- How easy was it to set the unit up?
- What controller if any did you own and how does it compare to hydros?
- Have you had problems connecting any components such as lights, pumps , etc to it?

What is the best thing you can say about using a Hydros unit? What cons of having unit if any?

I was a long time ReefKeeper owner and had the fear of going to Neptune which seemed complicated.
I am now a Long time Neptune owner/user and am now eyeing the hydros with the same fear I had with Apex unit.
How much for your Apex? LOL. I'm still all manual and broke a sweat adding a doser for my alk! Some day I will get brave and add a controller

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure you can do this. I would add a generic output and configure the parameters accordingly. You just want the pump outlets off right?
Yes,All I want is to have preset time off every day for manual feeding.
I looked for info and help and didn’t find anything
Please explain the process.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,All I want is to have preset time off every day for manual feeding.
I looked for info and help and didn’t find anything
Please explain the process.
Just tried the generic again and not seeing the options you are referring to. IMG_4046.png

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily shut the pump off every day for however long with Hydros.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought into the Hydros Ecosystem.

Disclaimer, I am in IT so all of the tech is pretty simple to me, might not be the same for others. Frankly compared to some hospital software systems I work with the Hydros app is pretty refreshing in its simplicity.

I have the following components:
Control X4 - This is the typical 'Controller' as most people think of them. Input and Output ports for programming or connecting to other modules.
XP8 - An 8 outlet Power Bar that also has a controller embedded in it, though no sensor input options.
WaveEngine LE - This is used to control my Reef Octopus OctoPulse 2
Control XD - Also a standalone controller but it is connected to my other modules via a Data-only cable run into my basement. This will be responsible for monitoring and controlling my RODI and saltwater mixing stations.
Power 4 Wifi Bar - This is a 4 outlet Wifi power strip. It does not have a controller brain in it and is simply for controlling power. Honestly seems really finicky especially with mesh wifi systems.

Mine was simple to setup, the only hiccup is making sure that all of the controller are connected to each other via cable and that you form a collective with the different devices. From there programming your inputs, outputs, and schedules is pretty simple and intuitive.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guide me to achieve this?
Couple of ways but imo the easiest is to create a false output. Call it something like pump switch. I'd use a light one like led light because the lights have a time built in time setting. You can change the icon if you want. Set on for your 1115. Off say 1145 Don't assign an outlet.
In your pump output for depends put your new switch. Make it off if on.
When the fake light comes on the pump goes off .
Someone smarter than me probably has a better way I've missed but that's how I do it for stuff. I have a fan that comes on when my algae scrubber lights come on.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of ways but imo the easiest is to create a false output. Call it something like pump switch. I'd use a light one like led light because the lights have a time built in time setting. You can change the icon if you want. Set on for your 1115. Off say 1145 Don't assign an outlet.
In your pump output for depends put your new switch. Make it off if on.
When the fake light comes on the pump goes off .
Someone smarter than me probably has a better way I've missed but that's how I do it for stuff. I have a fan that comes on when my algae scrubber lights come on.
Thanks for the instructions, it seems to be working.
If only info like this could be had online or in a guide.
Then again this is a workaround that you presented me with
Thanks again

RoninNV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new using controllers. Have the X4 and XP8, super easy to set up. I had an issue when I first got them, Carlos from Coralvue replied within minutes and I was up and running after that. Due to the ease of use and the amazing customer service, I'm planning on getting other ones in the near future.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the instructions, it seems to be working.
If only info like this could be had online or in a guide.
Then again this is a workaround that you presented me with
Thanks again
You may want to join the Hydros forum. Great advice and tips there.

CoralVue HYDROS Forum https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heyo, we greatly appreciate you giving HYDROS the opportunity! I'd love the chance as well to show you how this would be easily possible! Creating a generic output is the answer when none of our output presets fit exactly what you require. A generic output is ultra custom!

Please reach out to HYDROS support for an answer ASAP, or feel free to message me on here.

As a reminder, there are full online instructions for this linked in the app, on our website, and our Facebook page...from what I read above though...looks like ya got it sorted out. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back