Hydros sensor/probe quality

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the hydros at some point, but I’m really curious about the sensor/probe quality. Are they accurate? Do they last? I understand with salinity they don’t really have an accurate way of doing it until their conductivity and iv setup are released, but that is definitely something I’d be interested in long term.

but temp sensors, optical/float, how accurate and reliable are they? ATO kit, same thing

any info would be great.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been running 5 months.

Optical Water level sensor is working great even with percipitation on it.

Ato pump is working great still, even though its caked with kalk, about to clean it in a month.

Temp sensors are spot on, haven't had to adjust for any drift yet when checking calibration, running 2 of the mini probes.

PH seems accurate based on calibration fluid measurement, and the home environments affect on PH of tank seems to match up (closed windows lots of visitors ph drops, add scruber or dose soda or kalk increases). But it might read low, I have a feeling it is acurate, but kits put me at 8.3 all the time, but my ph is 8.2 at highest and 7.9 at lowest on the probe.

The ph probe is a pinpoint that was included.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention 2 temp sensors, is that just to make sure they’re calibrated? I would imagine if one reads slightly different from the other it would imply one of them is off?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention 2 temp sensors, is that just to make sure they’re calibrated? I would imagine if one reads slightly different from the other it would imply one of them is off?
I have 2 seperate controllers that came with them. I use one in my overflow with the backup heater, and one in the sump with the main heater. I hear this is more standard practice to cover just incase one fails. I am using a hydros xp8 to control my heaters via the hydros probes, but plan to add an inkbird inbetween so I am not cycling an outlet on the XP8 so frequently. I'd rather wear out an outlet on a cheaper contriller thab my main xp8.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back