Hydros wave engine causing Icecap Gyres to not work as well? Anyone else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter F i s h y
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
10,904
Reaction score
53,973
Location
Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I switched my Icecap gyres to the Hydros wave engine V2, its like they don't push as much water as when I used them on the Icecap wifi controllers. I have cleaned them, and messed with every setting I can to get them push more water, but they just don't seem to be working like they used to. Has anyone else had this issue? This isn't a new problem, I switched a while ago, but just getting back to being more active on the forums again. @tbrown do you use these? @Connor At CoralVue any suggestions? I can attach screen shots of my settings if need be.
 
While I have icecap gyres, I am still running them off the icecap wifi control. I've been considering automating, with Hydros being the likely candidate. So I'm following along.

Sorry I can't help or have any experience with the wave engine.
 
I'm running 1 IceCap Jump 2K and 1 Maxspect 330.

Are you running them on a program? For instance, random 75% runs them up to 75% of the max setting you have your pump set to. Mine are set to 45% on the gyres and 65% on the program so the fastest it'll run is only 540 gpm.
 
Looks like my remembering was off a little bit:

1000007152.png
1000007153.png

60% and 60%. Max speed for my 330 is 850ish gpm.
 
Looks like my remembering was off a little bit:

1000007152.png
1000007153.png

60% and 60%. Max speed for my 330 is 850ish gpm.
The first one sets the max speed of the pump, meaning it can't go over 60%. Then the schedule sets the max speed under that. So for example if you had the pump at 50% and the schedule at 100%, the pump will run at 50% overall max. If you had the pump at 50%, schedule at 50%, then the pump will never run over 25%. Etc
 
The first one sets the max speed of the pump, meaning it can't go over 60%. Then the schedule sets the max speed under that. So for example if you had the pump at 50% and the schedule at 100%, the pump will run at 50% overall max. If you had the pump at 50%, schedule at 50%, then the pump will never run over 25%. Etc
Yep.
 
Iirc, the maxspect gyres will only be driven up to 80% of its potential on wave engine. Maybe similar circumstance?
 
Iirc, the maxspect gyres will only be driven up to 80% of its potential on wave engine. Maybe similar circumstance?
this seems likely as i have both the program and the gyres set to max out at their top. seems silly to only be able to get 80% usage out of a gyre just by switching the controller. I may experiment this weekend and put 2 of my 4 back on the wifi controller and see if there is a significant difference. if there is, i think Hydros may have some explaining to do... because i want the flow not just the convenience, and i can easily switch back to the wifi controllers and forget about it...
 
this seems likely as i have both the program and the gyres set to max out at their top. seems silly to only be able to get 80% usage out of a gyre just by switching the controller. I may experiment this weekend and put 2 of my 4 back on the wifi controller and see if there is a significant difference. if there is, i think Hydros may have some explaining to do... because i want the flow not just the convenience, and i can easily switch back to the wifi controllers and forget about it...
I assume it's because you could have many pumps on one power supply, so they restrict to manage power? Was the reason I didn't try one, last I looked into it...
 
I assume it's because you could have many pumps on one power supply, so they restrict to manage power? Was the reason I didn't try one, last I looked into it...
interesting, it does power 4 of the gyres with one plug instead of 2 per wifi. i would love to hear from coralvue on this to see if that is in fact the case.

does anyone know if the same thing happens with other platforms like apex?
 
Since I switched my Icecap gyres to the Hydros wave engine V2, its like they don't push as much water as when I used them on the Icecap wifi controllers. I have cleaned them, and messed with every setting I can to get them push more water, but they just don't seem to be working like they used to. Has anyone else had this issue? This isn't a new problem, I switched a while ago, but just getting back to being more active on the forums again. @tbrown do you use these? @Connor At CoralVue any suggestions? I can attach screen shots of my settings if need be.
I had to switch the rotation direction on mine to make them flow as expected. I found a thread here that mentioned this issue, that sometimes the wiring is reversed in the connectors. (or something like that) After switching directions I got tons of flow out of them. I bought the wave engine and two individual pumps without their controllers.

I don't have them running at the moment since they generated to much flow, once I reversed direction. I'm looking to upgrade tank size then I'll put them back to work.
 
I had to switch the rotation direction on mine to make them flow as expected. I found a thread here that mentioned this issue, that sometimes the wiring is reversed in the connectors. (or something like that) After switching directions I got tons of flow out of them. I bought the wave engine and two individual pumps without their controllers.

I don't have them running at the moment since they generated to much flow, once I reversed direction. I'm looking to upgrade tank size then I'll put them back to work.
@Dread Pirate Dave this was exactly what I needed. Thank you. Changed the rotation and my pumps are churning the ocean once again.
 
@Dread Pirate Dave this was exactly what I needed. Thank you. Changed the rotation and my pumps are churning the ocean once again.

No disrespect to CoralVue but I found the UI around the Wave Engine to be not user friendly. On the other hand I will give them credit for replying to emails timely and helping me sort it out :).

I was using a Maxspect XF280 and a Icecap 4k and ran into similar issues to you. One was reverse and the other limiting the Maxspect Gyre to 80%. There are a few other limitations such as the motor block reaction time (limited to 2 seconds vs .5 with the Maxspect controller) but looking at how the Wave Engine does things it is minor.

Glad you got it sorted out. CV had to design some of this to support various pumps so looking at the bigger picture it makes sense.

Hope your day is well.
 
@Dread Pirate Dave this was exactly what I needed. Thank you. Changed the rotation and my pumps are churning the ocean once again.
I didn't even think about that... I had to change it on both of my pumps because they were noisy. When I reversed the flow I had to significantly turn down the flow rate.
 
Interesting.
 
@Dread Pirate Dave this was exactly what I needed. Thank you. Changed the rotation and my pumps are churning the ocean once again.
Ah yes, i totally forgot about the direction option. Yeah some pumps need this toggle and some dont, there's no precise reason why that I know of. It just changes the firing pattern from clockwise to counterclock, so if 2 wires are swapped on the motor core connector, this direction change fixes that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new