Neo Baldovino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I’ve decided to hop on here and start a thread based on my on going experience with hypo salinity in an establish aquarium. I have a Red Sea 900 with a decent amount of livestock in it. Currently in it is an XL clown Tang, XL Powder Blue, L Gold Rim Tang, M desjardini, M Hippo, and a M melanarus. The newest additions were the powder blue and the gold rim bringing along the dilemma I’m in. The tank has been with the same 4 fish for around a year after a tough quarantine and no signs of illness. After adding the 2 newer tangs, they brought along ich and some type of Hook worm. As of now, we’re on day 4 of removing water and topping off with fresh at 1.014 SG. We added a UV when we first saw signs or illness and it reduced the severity of ich almost to nothing. 3 days later, every fish was showing signs. We assume the reduction in ich was the ich breeding since it affected everything shortly after. Everyone lost their appetite, but now they’re were lowering the salinity, everyone seems to be eating close to what they used to before. Ive read alot that healthy fish that have a good diet won’t catch ich as easily, that is not the case for me. The healthiest fish ended up catching ich, just took a little longer to show signs. We’re at 1.014 on 01/10/21 and plan to be at 1.009 by 1/13. Will post pictures, videos, and updates. I can answer questions to the best of my knowledge as this is a first time actually trying it.

***if anyone knows the other type of dots on the Gold Rim, please let me know. They reduced with prazi so I assume is a type of fluke**

Attachments

• IMG_5576.MP4
    7 MB
OP
OP
Neo Baldovino

Neo Baldovino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I’ve decided to hop on here and start a thread based on my on going experience with hypo salinity in an establish aquarium. I have a Red Sea 900 with a decent amount of livestock in it. Currently in it is an XL clown Tang, XL Powder Blue, L Gold Rim Tang, M desjardini, M Hippo, and a M melanarus. The newest additions were the powder blue and the gold rim bringing along the dilemma I’m in. The tank has been with the same 4 fish for around a year after a tough quarantine and no signs of illness. After adding the 2 newer tangs, they brought along ich and some type of Hook worm. As of now, we’re on day 4 of removing water and topping off with fresh at 1.014 SG. We added a UV when we first saw signs or illness and it reduced the severity of ich almost to nothing. 3 days later, every fish was showing signs. We assume the reduction in ich was the ich breeding since it affected everything shortly after. Everyone lost their appetite, but now they’re were lowering the salinity, everyone seems to be eating close to what they used to before. Ive read alot that healthy fish that have a good diet won’t catch ich as easily, that is not the case for me. The healthiest fish ended up catching ich, just took a little longer to show signs. We’re at 1.014 on 01/10/21 and plan to be at 1.009 by 1/13. Will post pictures, videos, and updates. I can answer questions to the best of my knowledge as this is a first time actually trying it.

***if anyone knows the other type of dots on the Gold Rim, please let me know. They reduced with prazi so I assume is a type of fluke**
I’m looking for info on how long the hypo-salinity period should last for to ERADICATE from the display. I have heard 15 days and also 30 days. TIA

OP
OP
Neo Baldovino

Neo Baldovino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a little update of the gold rim tonight. Personally, he looks a lot better. Salinity is at 1.013 as of now and everyone is looking better!

Attachments

• IMG_5643.MOV
    46.1 MB

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple people on here going through the same thing right now and per Jay Jemdal 30 days after no signs of ICK and I think this is also after reaching 1.009 but I’m not the expert. 15 days is fore sure not enough

OP
OP
Neo Baldovino

Neo Baldovino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple people on here going through the same thing right now and per Jay Jemdal 30 days after no signs of ICK and I think this is also after reaching 1.009 but I’m not the expert. 15 days is fore sure not enough
Great I’ll make sure to exceed 30 days

OP
OP
Neo Baldovino

Neo Baldovino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Day 5 of treating our display tank with hypo, and day 3 of Treating at 1.009 SG. It seems all of the fish have recovered well, the gold rim has times where it comes and goes but I’m not sure if that’s part of ich dying off. Everyone appetite is back completely, scratches from scratching and aggression have healed, and everything is looking good so far. I would 100% recommend hypo IF you have the time to catch it. Typically, I’ve seen it call for lowering salinity in 48 hours, I went for 4 days. the fish were looked like they were covered in velvet since they had so much ich. It is worth the time and struggle, I lowered .004 SG daily! I hope this helps

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently on day 20 something, by January 26 I’ll be at day 30 since reaching 1.009 SG.

check out my thread there is a lot of information in there for the exact same method (hypo in display tank).

I had a bacterial bloom that I was able to resolve with microbacter 7. That’s my only update.

I’ve lost two fish, one just disappeared and the other dove head first into a octo 4 pump… I think he freaked out about something by in the middle of the night.

however all my fish have shown zero white dots since I hit 1.009. I did see the blue hippo tang scratch one time four days ago, but that was it. 30 days is the recommended right after hitting 1.009.

I also raised my temp from 78.4 to 79.1.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no inverts/corals then consider taking the temperature to 84 slowly. Assuming no I’ll signs. Could go higher. This will help rid the ich by advancing their life cycle. I’d add a diatom filter to assist in removing the free swimming stage. Unlike UV, it actually removes vs just affecting their DNA. Feed more often. Allow the fish to build their immune system. Problem with Ich is re-infestation.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30-45 days. I’ve always gone around 30 with great success. Hypo is actually very easy on fish stock as it lightens the pressure on their bodies. People have said 60+ days can cause problems though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

You may have seen this, but I started a sticky thread about hyposalinity here:

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back