Hyposalinity and Moray Eels

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a series of irritating and unfortunate events have led to my display tank having ich. Which sucks because things were just starting to look up after a total flustercluck of a startup. Anyways. Ich.

Are eels sensitive to hyposalinity? By which I mean does it harm/kill/reduce lifespan?

I know they are super resistant to this kind of thing and can and will fight it off if kept away from less resistant fish, and I will move it to a fresh system if I have to, but if it can handle hypo, my plan is I am going to remove my comparatively handful of coral and inverts and hypo my display, solve this thing in 30 days rather than 80 (except for the corals of course). Just want to make sure my eel can handle it, as I'd rather keep everything in one system and make absolutely sure all traces of ich are destroyed. This guy is an absolute tank that took a partial crash from velvet like a champ.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have direct experience with this but have known people that did and eels can handle hypo as well as any other. One thing I remember is to monitor ph. As far as specifics I can't help. Keep us updated. It's a bummer after all he's been through.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I have heard/read too. Just wanted to confirm.

I know, it sucks for the eel, for me, for everything really. But especially the eel. All because a single droplet of water made it from one tank into another.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've had bad experience with the TTM. But....would you be willing to try the velvet TTM protocol on the fish in your tank? Once you get back from vacation that is...I'd hate for you to lose the fish without trying the (arguably) least stressful option first.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've had bad experience with the TTM. But....would you be willing to try the velvet TTM protocol on the fish in your tank? Once you get back from vacation that is...I'd hate for you to lose the fish without trying the (arguably) least stressful option first.

If I had somewhere to keep the fish while my display waited out the fallow period, that could handle the bioload,I would. Unfortunately I don't have anything over 20 gallons, and don't have the budget for more, plus all the necessary equipment, and time, especially pulling off the velvet protocol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back