I’m about tired of the Tropic Marin Hydrometers

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So don’t get me wrong, both of these times are 100% my fault but these hydrometers break so easily. It’s like dealing with a bubble. I just broke my second one of these. Now that’s $80 down the drain. I love these hydrometers, they just break so easily. First time, I was cleaning it and it snapped. Second time, I dropped it in a protective case. Second time was more my fault than the first though. I have contacted them before about it being so fragile and they said that they can’t make it any more durable because it would mess with the results. I would imagine that they would be able to adjust for this fix though, but I’m unsure. I just need to rant. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, I’m probably gonna get a different hydrometer because I have broken 2 in the last 4 months, which is just setting myself up to lose a ton of money in the future. Any recommendations for any accurate and precise refractometers?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why you have not purchased a refractometer? They are easy to calibrate and very sturdy. ;)
I have always heard such great things about the Tropic Marin one and how it’s the most precise and accurate. I can affirm to that statement out of the several that I have owned. But I have realized that while those claims are true, is it really necessary over just getting a nice refractometer… no. That will be the next purchase though

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard such great things about the Tropic Marin one and how it’s the most precise and accurate. I can affirm to that statement out of the several that I have owned. But I have realized that while those claims are true, is it really necessary over just getting a nice refractometer… no. That will be the next purchase though
I understand, but, I have 2 BRS refractometers, and the 2nd still sits in the original box...LOL!!! I just keep using the first one I bought and calibrate it. I bought the 2nd because it had a LED light built in...LOL!!!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, but, I have 2 BRS refractometers, and the 2nd still sits in the original box...LOL!!! I just keep using the first one I bought and calibrate it. I bought the 2nd because it had a LED light built in...LOL!!!
I’ll be looking into the types of hydrometers tonight and choose but I’ll keep that one in mind.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't see how you keep breaking it? Maybe be easier with it? I have had one for months and never came close to breaking it. I only use when the water is a still with pumps off and in my saltwater changes.

I just rinse when through and gently rub with my hand under the water. Not sure how these break that easy.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair they are glass, dropping a glass tube in a plastic case will break it.

Maybe buy a replacement, just use it for reference and checking a refractometer for checking your salinity.

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few refractometers, but the best of the bunch so far has been the veegee scientific refracto (stx3, I think). In the couple years I've had it, I've only had to calibrate it once, when I got it. It has held its "precision" through minor bumps and travel. It's more expensive but it's worth it for the reliability. I got mine on Amazon warehouse for about $70, but brand new it's around $100.

I also have the Milwaukee digital refracto which comes with calibration solution that I use for both. The veegee and the Milwaukee always read the same or close enough.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know who makes the one I use but it is heavy duty compared to others I've had in the past. And I've verified it is quite accurate. I've had this one for 5-6 years without breaking it (knock on wood). I only use it in a large graduated cylinder though so no risk of it bumping into a rock in my tank.

Recently got a Hanna salinity meter and have to calibrate it every time I use it... not sure if that's normal or maybe I got a bad one.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic, really not sexy at all, but dropped a dozen times in 20+ years. Each time bring on next trip to LFS comparison to their refractometer, and 'yep you good'....
20210811_230627.jpg

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refrac, TM, and a swingarm.
Just made some water with my swingarm today and its spot on.
I use the TM to calibrate it.

Believe it or not I use the swingarm 95% of the time.

Once you know where the swingarm reads 1.0265, or whatever you run your tank at, based off the TM you are good to go.

Just make sure all the bubbles are off the swingarm and rinse it in di.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it broke the shaft, just use a super small dab of silicone to glue it back. It wont effect results that much.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Basic, really not sexy at all, but dropped a dozen times in 20+ years. Each time bring on next trip to LFS comparison to their refractometer, and 'yep you good'....
20210811_230627.jpg

Bought one of these a few months ago, the Coralife and it was WAY off, scared me to death. Went to Petsmart and bought two of the Instant Ocean Hydrometers and they read spot on. I have a BRS refractometer and it's a point of sale. Failed within 2 months and intake excellent care if everything I own. The TM glass cylinder has been fantastic.

The instant ocean Hydrometers are extremely accurate and easy to use.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A refractometer is often more reliable than a swing-arm hydrometer, and definitely much less of a pain to use. Just put a couple drops of water on there, wait a few seconds, and look through. No need to fill the whole thing, make sure there's no air bubbles, make sure it's on a level surface, and wait awhile for the arm to stop moving.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS refractometer or even better, the Milwaukee digital.

I'm not sure what others do but I've calibrated my BRS refractometer one time: the first time I used it. I have checked it numerous times and always spot on since then. Now I use the Milwaukee exclusively and it's great. Drop some water on, push a button, and done. Some claim it isn't accurate enough but it's fine for my use. I know my tank salinity is good so I test it first. Then I test my new water. If close enough, full send.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I personally prefer conductivity meters to either hydrometers or refractometers. They are more versatile, many can read continuously when acclimating by drip, can measure limewater/kalkwasser potency, etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which do you use?

I use an old Orion model 128 conductivity meter with 4 electrode probe. They and similar models can sometimes be obtained on ebay for not much more than new, but cheaper devices.

That said, even less expensive ones will work as well as typical refractometers and hydrometers when properly calibrated, or at least checked. I used a pinpoint as well, and it's only apparent real drawback relative to the Orion was slower temperature acclimation to get to a stable reading when first put in the water. Say, a couple of minutes vs 30 seconds or less.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought one of these a few months ago, the Coralife and it was WAY off, scared me to death. Went to Petsmart and bought two of the Instant Ocean Hydrometers and they read spot on. I have a BRS refractometer and it's a point of sale. Failed within 2 months and intake excellent care if everything I own. The TM glass cylinder has been fantastic.

The instant ocean Hydrometers are extremely accurate and easy to use.
That's unfortunate. Hopefully this one I've got lasts another 20 years, I don't want problems lol...

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how you keep breaking it? Maybe be easier with it? I have had one for months and never came close to breaking it. I only use when the water is a still with pumps off and in my saltwater changes.

I just rinse when through and gently rub with my hand under the water. Not sure how these break that easy.
I’m unsure. I don’t the same thing you do and im super gentle with it.
I've had a few refractometers, but the best of the bunch so far has been the veegee scientific refracto (stx3, I think). In the couple years I've had it, I've only had to calibrate it once, when I got it. It has held its "precision" through minor bumps and travel. It's more expensive but it's worth it for the reliability. I got mine on Amazon warehouse for about $70, but brand new it's around $100.

I also have the Milwaukee digital refracto which comes with calibration solution that I use for both. The veegee and the Milwaukee always read the same or close enough.
I’ll keep it in mind.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back