I’m not getting the Satin Finish I want.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquarium Cabinet is finished with the White Topside Paint. It was allowed to dry for 72+ hours. I masked off the interior, sanded the exterior with 320 Sandpaper and started spraying with Krylon Satin Black. It’s coming out Splotchy, not at all even. The Topside paint is not lifting or Bleeding through. It’s the Krylon. I did another stand the exact same way several years ago. it was perfect. I thought maybe the cooler temperatures were causing the problem. I heated the cans to 110 F, and it was 82 F yesterday. and I still had a problem. Is there an oil based satin paint, brush on that would be better? I don‘t want brush marks either, but I may be able to buff them out.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquarium Cabinet is finished with the White Topside Paint. It was allowed to dry for 72+ hours. I masked off the interior, sanded the exterior with 320 Sandpaper and started spraying with Krylon Satin Black. It’s coming out Splotchy, not at all even. The Topside paint is not lifting or Bleeding through. It’s the Krylon. I did another stand the exact same way several years ago. it was perfect. I thought maybe the cooler temperatures were causing the problem. I heated the cans to 110 F, and it was 82 F yesterday. and I still had a problem. Is there an oil based satin paint, brush on that would be better? I don‘t want brush marks either, but I may be able to buff them out.
I have had issues recently with the krylon, if it is the 2-1 primer and paint stuff. I swapped over to using rustoleum paint and no issues with the splotchyness now.

For example, I am redoing a 1969 Sears & Roebuck Silvertone radio cabinet for my wife. It is just in the priming stages now, but as it is laminate/vinyl covered particle board, I am using spray paint to prime it all up.

I tired some of the krylon I picked up recently for anohter project, thinking maybe it was the batch I got before that had issues. Even with the sanding of the surface, it just kept getting blotchy. I was using the satin black for the inside of the cabinet, as it used to work fine for things like this.

In the pic below, ignore the runs below the top. That was intentional to fill some scratches in. Those will be sanded out at some point after work today lol.

You can see, if you zoom in, where it is getting blotchy on the wood where the equipment goes. Look left side of pic. The right side where the equipment goes and the front top trim is with the rustoleum stuff. No blotchyness and is smooth. I still have to go back and sand the whole thing, to get rid of the blotchyness on the left side, but will respray with the rustoluem stuff after that.

Side note: I am using semi-gloss for the first coat, as it allows me to see any scratches or imperfections I may need to work out. The final coat will be satin, but being as even semi gloss lays out this nicely, it shows how well this paint sprays.

IMG_7548.JPG

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to someone at my Body Shop, he said to try and paint it with a dark colored Krylon Paint first, and second warming the cans up. I have Krylon Gloss Black, my wife bought by mistake.

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re simply just spraying too close to the surface. Hold the can 10” away and do a bunch of light mist coats and you’ll get the satin look. Honestly I would have rolled it on. With my experience with spray paint, especially black…over time with all the saltwater your going to see salt build up everywhere and that paint is going to lift off that wood.

also, any sort of laminate that’s getting painted should be sprayed with a light coat of adhesion promotor first.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine steel wool will give you a satin look. Paint the stand, let it dry, and then scuff it carefully with the steel wool. It will blend out surface sheen irregularities. Try it out first on a sample piece.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back