I’m super confused

Hannahmunt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2022
Messages
287
Reaction score
67
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my weekly tests…my ammonia is 0 yet nitrite is showing as 4! And nitrate is at 8.6.

I tested the salt water and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

I also tested my ro water
and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

about a week ago I added some fish and my ammonia went up to 0.10 but have now come down to 0.

is my rank going through another cycle maybe?

not sure if I should leave the tank alone if it is cycling again or to do my normal water change.

tank is 4 months old with cuc, soft corals, clowns and hawkfish.
 
Very interesting, is this API test? Possibly a mini cycle with the addition of fish. Just keep an eye on it, but if your ammonia is already down to 0 then your nitrite should be right behind it. Test it again to make sure you did it right. I will say when my tank cycled my nitrite never hit 4, that seems pretty high. Did you add all fish at the same time
 
It could be the nitrite processing is not cycled yet, but I’d just ignore it as it is not toxic in a marine system.
 
Very interesting, is this API test? Possibly a mini cycle with the addition of fish. Just keep an eye on it, but if your ammonia is already down to 0 then your nitrite should be right behind it. Test it again to make sure you did it right. I will say when my tank cycled my nitrite never hit 4, that seems pretty high. Did you add all fish at the same time

I use a mix between hanna and salifert

last week I did have high ammonia and this week it’s gone down to 0. So to me it’s like a mini cycle is happening.

nitrate yesterday was 6.9 and today was 8.5
 
I use a mix between hanna and salifert

last week I did have high ammonia and this week it’s gone down to 0. So to me it’s like a mini cycle is happening.

nitrate yesterday was 6.9 and today was 8.5
how big is tank?
 
Just did my weekly tests…my ammonia is 0 yet nitrite is showing as 4! And nitrate is at 8.6.

I tested the salt water and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

I also tested my ro water
and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

about a week ago I added some fish and my ammonia went up to 0.10 but have now come down to 0.

is my rank going through another cycle maybe?

not sure if I should leave the tank alone if it is cycling again or to do my normal water change.

tank is 4 months old with cuc, soft corals, clowns and hawkfish.
With a new tank, add fish one at a time if possible, as the nitrite eating bacteria are slow growers and the nitrite will spike for a week with each new addition. Some call it a “mini-cycle”. And remember, if you are reading nitrite on your kit, then you will not get an accurate nitrate test, it will read a lot higher. While nitrite is not too terrible for the salt system, it’s presence is detrimental as it hinders proper nitrate readings.
 
With a new tank, add fish one at a time if possible, as the nitrite eating bacteria are slow growers and the nitrite will spike for a week with each new addition. Some call it a “mini-cycle”. And remember, if you are reading nitrite on your kit, then you will not get an accurate nitrate test, it will read a lot higher. While nitrite is not too terrible for the salt system, it’s presence is detrimental as it hinders proper nitrate readings.
I use salifert for nitrite and hanna for nitrate.

I dose with nopox as well
 
If your livestock is acting fine then just continue to proceed with caution. Don't add anything new until you get ammonia/nitrite down to 0. Time is your friend. Removing the sponge shouldn't have been an issue unless it is a large portion of your mechanical filtration, and if that is the case you would notice a foul smell or cloudy water coming from tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new