I’m super confused

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my weekly tests…my ammonia is 0 yet nitrite is showing as 4! And nitrate is at 8.6.

I tested the salt water and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

I also tested my ro water
and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

about a week ago I added some fish and my ammonia went up to 0.10 but have now come down to 0.

is my rank going through another cycle maybe?

not sure if I should leave the tank alone if it is cycling again or to do my normal water change.

tank is 4 months old with cuc, soft corals, clowns and hawkfish.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, is this API test? Possibly a mini cycle with the addition of fish. Just keep an eye on it, but if your ammonia is already down to 0 then your nitrite should be right behind it. Test it again to make sure you did it right. I will say when my tank cycled my nitrite never hit 4, that seems pretty high. Did you add all fish at the same time

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, is this API test? Possibly a mini cycle with the addition of fish. Just keep an eye on it, but if your ammonia is already down to 0 then your nitrite should be right behind it. Test it again to make sure you did it right. I will say when my tank cycled my nitrite never hit 4, that seems pretty high. Did you add all fish at the same time

I use a mix between hanna and salifert

last week I did have high ammonia and this week it’s gone down to 0. So to me it’s like a mini cycle is happening.

nitrate yesterday was 6.9 and today was 8.5

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my weekly tests…my ammonia is 0 yet nitrite is showing as 4! And nitrate is at 8.6.

I tested the salt water and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

I also tested my ro water
and both are 0 for nitrite and nitrates.

about a week ago I added some fish and my ammonia went up to 0.10 but have now come down to 0.

is my rank going through another cycle maybe?

not sure if I should leave the tank alone if it is cycling again or to do my normal water change.

tank is 4 months old with cuc, soft corals, clowns and hawkfish.
With a new tank, add fish one at a time if possible, as the nitrite eating bacteria are slow growers and the nitrite will spike for a week with each new addition. Some call it a “mini-cycle”. And remember, if you are reading nitrite on your kit, then you will not get an accurate nitrate test, it will read a lot higher. While nitrite is not too terrible for the salt system, it’s presence is detrimental as it hinders proper nitrate readings.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a new tank, add fish one at a time if possible, as the nitrite eating bacteria are slow growers and the nitrite will spike for a week with each new addition. Some call it a “mini-cycle”. And remember, if you are reading nitrite on your kit, then you will not get an accurate nitrate test, it will read a lot higher. While nitrite is not too terrible for the salt system, it’s presence is detrimental as it hinders proper nitrate readings.
I use salifert for nitrite and hanna for nitrate.

I dose with nopox as well

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your livestock is acting fine then just continue to proceed with caution. Don't add anything new until you get ammonia/nitrite down to 0. Time is your friend. Removing the sponge shouldn't have been an issue unless it is a large portion of your mechanical filtration, and if that is the case you would notice a foul smell or cloudy water coming from tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back