I’ve been dumb with GFO.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Yesterday while doing maintenance I remembered my GFO has been in there a while so I swapped it out for a new batch which now seems like a bad idea because today I’ve been hit with the beginning of a dino bloom.

I didn’t have any dino’s before, just some algae on the rocks. Would I be able to try and counteract this by removing the GFO or is it too late?

I used nyos phosi-ex

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Yesterday while doing maintenance I remembered my GFO has been in there a while so I swapped it out for a new batch which now seems like a bad idea because today I’ve been hit with the beginning of a dino bloom.

I didn’t have any dino’s before, just some algae on the rocks. Would I be able to try and counteract this by removing the GFO or is it too late?

I used nyos phosi-ex
Yes remove the GFO if your phosphates are now undetectable.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I used nyos phosi-ex
Are you testing po4?
Remove the gfo and the rock and substrate will release bound po4 if its been recently detectable.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing po4?
Remove the gfo and the rock and substrate will release bound po4 if its been recently detectable.
No I’ve been going by eye for the better part of a year now and just think I disturbed the balance by changing GFO too soon or overdosing potentially

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’ve been going by eye for the better part of a year now and just think I disturbed the balance by changing GFO too soon or overdosing potentially
Just to be clear....you are incorperating GFO into your tank while not even knowing your actual phosphate level?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I used nyos phosi-ex
You would not be hit with a Dino bloom in one day.

What was your Phosphate reading before you changed the GFO?

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear....you are incorperating GFO into your tank while not even knowing your actual phosphate level?
Yes correct hence why I said I was being dumb, I saw an increase in nuisance algae such as turf algae and so started using some GFO I had laying around to combat without putting much thought into it, which appears to be have caused some form of bloom and now I’m asking for guidance on how to balance again.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes correct hence why I said I was being dumb, I saw an increase in nuisance algae such as turf algae and so started using some GFO I had laying around to combat without putting much thought into it, which appears to be have caused some form of bloom and now I’m asking for guidance on how to balance again.
If you have been running GFO for some time already I would be cautious about removing it entirely too. Last thing you’d want is for your tank to be bouncing from one extreme to another. Maybe reduce the amount of GFO you are running. And keep your feeding regimen the same for now. As others have stated it would be wise to get a reading on your PO4 asap.
Did you do any manual removal of the nuisance algae before swapping out the GFO? Could be that with a decent amount of nuisance algae in your tank + new GFO you stripped your system bare of nutrients. However, one night does seem like a pretty rapid progression for that from my experience.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back