I’ve lost my first fish

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my first fish .

I got 4 Bimac Anthias at the beginning of this month, all different sizes (all female) so that they would establish dominance early. The biggest already shows colors that start to flash as if it’s about to transition to male.

At noon I found this one (2nd smallest) hiding under a rock with the sand dug out (by one of my wrasses i think from a while ago) to make a small cave - I believe it was hiding from getting bullied by one of the bigger anthias.

The 2 smallest don’t eat pellets or flakes, and I don’t feed frozen yesterday so I made it leave its hiding spot to eat. I watched it eating just fine around 3pm when I fed brine shrimp. I went to the gym and came back and it was sunk at the bottom dead suddenly. Not completely sure that’s the cause of death but I don’t see anything else that could cause it. The biggest Anthias does chase the others around here and there.

Now I can’t help but wonder if it would have made it if I left it hiding instead.

I’m now down to 10 fish in my 5 foot tank .

3 Bimac Anthias
3 Yellow Tangs
Purple Tang
Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse

IMG_4190.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I lost my first fish .

I got 4 Bimac Anthias at the beginning of this month, all different sizes (all female) so that they would establish dominance early. The biggest already shows colors that start to flash as if it’s about to transition to male.

At noon I found this one (2nd smallest) hiding under a rock with the sand dug out (by one of my wrasses i think from a while ago) to make a small cave - I believe it was hiding from getting bullied by one of the bigger anthias.

The 2 smallest don’t eat pellets or flakes, and I don’t feed frozen yesterday so I made it leave its hiding spot to eat. I watched it eating just fine around 3pm when I fed brine shrimp. I went to the gym and came back and it was sunk at the bottom dead suddenly. Not completely sure that’s the cause of death but I don’t see anything else that could cause it. The biggest Anthias does chase the others around here and there.

Now I can’t help but wonder if it would have made it if I left it hiding instead.

3 Bimac Anthias
3 Yellow Tangs
Purple Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse

IMG_4190.jpeg
From the looks of its tail, there are signs of aggression from one or more tank mates and with mouth wide open, it struggled with low oxygen or from the aggression

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of its tail, there are signs of aggression from one or more tank mates and with mouth wide open, it struggled with low oxygen or from the aggression
I believe this is the case. I wasn’t able to witness it, but it was definitely being bullied here and there, although not nearly as bad as I’ve seen my Tang on Tang bullying that is all peaceful now - which is why I let it go on without much worry.

Do you think it was inevitable? I question my choice to force it to come out of its secured hiding spot that was too small for the big one to get to. It was hiding in the mid high parts of the rocks after eating.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe this is the case. I wasn’t able to witness it, but it was definitely being bullied here and there, although not nearly as bad as I’ve seen my Tang on Tang bullying that is all peaceful now - which is why I let it go on without much worry.

Do you think it was inevitable? I question my choice to force it to come out of its secured hiding spot that was too small for the big one to get to. It was hiding in the mid high parts of the rocks after eating.
Inevitable- could have been
What other fish are in your tank?
Hawkfish hate anthias as does some wrasses

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inevitable- could have been
What other fish are in your tank?
Hawkfish hate anthias as does some wrasses
I posted in the OP. I don't really see any of my wrasses picking on anyone, and the Mel wrasse every couple of days will pump fake a chase at the Blue Throat wrasse, but it's a half second and never more than that.

3 Bimac Anthias
3 Yellow Tangs
Purple Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse

Side question - any advice on helping wean the last Anthias that doesn't eat dry? The 2 smallest would only eat frozen foods and spit out the pellets or flakes I'd try to trick it with. Since the bigger of the small ones died, the remaining 3 Anthias, the smallest still is picky with only eating frozen.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I posted in the OP. I don't really see any of my wrasses picking on anyone, and the Mel wrasse every couple of days will pump fake a chase at the Blue Throat wrasse, but it's a half second and never more than that.

3 Bimac Anthias
3 Yellow Tangs
Purple Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse

Side question - any advice on helping wean the last Anthias that doesn't eat dry? The 2 smallest would only eat frozen foods and spit out the pellets or flakes I'd try to trick it with. Since the bigger of the small ones died, the remaining 3 Anthias, the smallest still is picky with only eating frozen.
Mine eat pellets but start with enticing foods like brine shrimp and mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy covers a lot of dietary needs for them
I recommend a 60 minute ruby rally pro bath prior to introduction
It’s for protection of skin issues.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat pellets but start with enticing foods like brine shrimp and mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy covers a lot of dietary needs for them
I recommend a 60 minute ruby rally pro bath prior to introduction
It’s for protection of skin issues.
That's currently what I have them on, LRS Fish Frenzy and Brine Shrimp. How do I get them more interested in pellets? Is it just an "in time" issue (hence why the bigger ones eat pellets)?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's currently what I have them on, LRS Fish Frenzy and Brine Shrimp. How do I get them more interested in pellets? Is it just an "in time" issue (hence why the bigger ones eat pellets)?
I use TDO and soak them in tank water so they sink slowly and are more digestible

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 of the 5 tangs in your tank are know to be aggressive which is likely your issue especially with being able to feed anthias as much and often as they need.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 of the 5 tangs in your tank are know to be aggressive which is likely your issue especially with being able to feed anthias as much and often as they need.
all of my tangs don’t care for the other non tang fish. My purple will sometime pick on the yellows, but since the yellows got bigger, they’ve been fighting back, so the aggression between them is scarce now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have it on the auto feeder, but I’ll try soaking first and maybe in garlic. They are the small sized. They do the same with flake though.
Mine turn their nose at flake food. Plankton is another of their favorites.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back