I 3D printed a protein skimmer!

GruberP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very much a version 1, but it worked well to prove the concept. I don't have a spare skimmer pump, so once I go out and grab one I'll be able to test this for real. What do you think?

3D Printed Protein Skimmer - Imgur

uKidP4m.jpg

Nr0nCLJ_zps17015529.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

drewsteriam5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Nice job. What kind of printer did you use? As far as I know extruded 3d prints aren't water tight, but in the context of something sitting inside a sump it shouldn't matter. Awesome idea. Let us know how it works. I may have to print one out on my machine.

drewsteriam5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two affordable options in 3D printing right now in terms of plastics are ABS and PLA. Both of these are considered aquarium safe. That said, over time PLA will degrade, but it is biodegradable and safe either way. I believe it is made from corn where as ABS is made from petroleum.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! And hey, if you're ever cleaning it, drop it, and something breaks, just print a new piece.

OP
OP
G

GruberP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to answer some of the questions: I printed this in PLA but will be moving to ABS for version 2. The prints are water-tight, so there's no problems there, and everything was just done on a standard MakerBot Replicator 2. I also use a Mendelmax 2 and a Prusa i3.

drewsteriam5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the prints are water tight? It was my understanding that with extruded printing the prints may be able to hold water, they aren't truly water tight. Given the prints I see from my Prusa i3xl I don't believe they could ever be entirely water tight without some finishing work done.

drewsteriam5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Printing the plumbing for the tank would be impractical.

First, I maintain that extruded 3d prints are not entirely water tight. They're close, but guaranteeing a water tight part with every print just isn't possible.

Second, it would not be cost effective. Buying and cutting PVC would be much faster and cheaper.

Third, while strong, I don't know that 3d printed plumbing would be strong enough to last very long if put under any significant outward pressure.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back