I am about to quit

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn down the whites in you lights and turn up the blues. You could try some rowaphos as this will absorb some of the silicates as well as the phosphates. We all go through this. Just relax and it will pass. Tanks take time to mature and go through some ugly phases.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stupid algae keeps coming back into my tank I am doing everything correct. I tested my nitrates 2 days ago and they were like 15 ppm, and 0.03 phosphates and this stupid algae keeps reappearing. It goes away for like two weeks and then comes back again. Yes I am using Rodi water as well. Can someone help me identify this stuff I have had it forever. maybe the algae is coming from to large of a bio load and not enough space for bacteria reproduction. The reason I think this is because I am using a fake rock from pet I as my main rock and maybe it’s leaching out silicates because it’s maid out of plastic. I am doing weekly water changes as well. Someone please help me I am at my wits end and I am about to quit this hobby. Help is very much appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Where's the algae?

If anything, it looks like you have the beginnings of dinos, in which case more nutrients instead of fewer will be your solution.

At the end of the day, low nutrients and starving algae just doesn't really seem to work for algae control. You'll end up starving your corals, having a sterile tank, getting dinos, or all of the above. Try feeding more, and you get more algae, get things to eat it.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics will help.

What size tank?
What livestock do you have in it?
What food do you feed?
How much food do you feed?
How often do you feed?
What lights do you run?
How long do you keep the lights on?
Does sunlight hit the tank?
What filtration do you use?
Do you use any additives?
Do you use gfo?
Do you use carbon?
Do you carbon dose?
Do you have a sump?
Do you have a refugium?
How long has the tank been up and running?

These are just some question to answer that can get us pointed in the right direction of what you might have going on.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the algae?

If anything, it looks like you have the beginnings of dinos, in which case more nutrients instead of fewer will be your solution.

At the end of the day, low nutrients and starving algae just doesn't really seem to work for algae control. You'll end up starving your corals, having a sterile tank, getting dinos, or all of the above. Try feeding more, and you get more algae, get things to eat it.

Why would you say he has the beginnings of dinos with no pics? No info at all?

Please try to find out info before declaring a potential disaster.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but it's really bad to lead someone down that path with zero info on their set up.

Let's get some answers to the above questions and actually try to help identify what is actually going on.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jack, do you have any fish or only the 2 corals? The algae doesn't look that bad. Maybe some algae eating fish or CUC should help

How long has the tank been up for?
10 months and I have 1 yellow tang 3 oceeleris clowns 1 watchman go by and pistol shrimp

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey wow okay calm down let’s figure this out okay? What kind of algae is it and what does it look like? Do you have any real rock in there at all? How long has the tank been up? It’s probably an easy fix just breathe and we can fix this.
No I don’t have any real rock the tank has been up for 10 months

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how many gallons are we talking here/can't wait to see pics.

to check trending, we can check in the pico reef section of nano-reef.com, or here, not too many tanks have enduring dinos or algae problems

thats for large tankers...difference between direct and indirect access.

cleaning out reefs makes them live longer and it works for all situations, based on gallonage and willingness, solely.

the cause of your algae isnt N or P.

our method saves you from hesitating, the cause of any sub 50 gallon algae issue is leaving it in place/waiting for indirect methods to work. assertively taking command of the reef will benefit, not harm for sure.
29 gallon tank

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an emergency but rather a concern to be analyzed. Several have requested pics in order to see what type of algae it is, and how to best combat it.
In the mean time, Is your tank at or near a window?
Yes a window is near my tank

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude shouldn’t be keeping a yellow tang in a 29g tall. I’m not the tang police but I’m also reasonable.

Anyhow, does anyone want to comment on my actual issue? See below!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to quit due that small amount of algae in such a young tank with plastic rock then go ahead and quit cause quite honestly you are wasting your time and money in a hobby that's not for you. Just download a reef tank computer background or something.

Please be helpful or bow out the thread.
We are a community that helps each other in a positive way.

No need to be mean.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back