I am currently a senior in high school, I plan on going to college in the fall.

Will7642

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it would be worth it to set up a 75 gallon reef tank at my current house, my parents said they would take care of it while I’m gone, or would it be smarter just to wait until I’m graduated and have my own place?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!That is a hard call. Mostly up to how devoted your parents are to maintaining. Also are you talking fish only or putting corals in as well? If fish only it is much easier. If corals there will be a lot more water testing and things to look out for. I would say if they are looking forward to it for themselves than ok but just really want to help you I would say hold off there is a degree of dedication, observing, and research. Really hard to do afar. But if mom or dad is looking to learn then maybe ok. If you do go fish only. I am working from home and still seem not to have enough time for it. Lol

Upvote 0

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had multiple tanks when I was younger living at home. When I left for college I had to re-home all my pets.

You really need to decide if your parents are up to the task and if they really want to take care of your fish tank. We’re talking 4 years I assume? That is not an insignificant amount of time.

I’d recommend waiting for now. After your first year in the dorms, you can meet some friends and move out to a house or apartment off campus and that could be your opportunity to set up a tank (I did). Even then you’ll need to consider holidays when you may head home, will you stay at school over the summer, etc.?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it would be worth it to set up a 75 gallon reef tank at my current house, my parents said they would take care of it while I’m gone, or would it be smarter just to wait until I’m graduated and have my own place?
With setup and ugly phase you won't even be able to enjoy it before college.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a reef tank a 'major commitment' type of hobby, anyone that keeps corals needs to test water, dose, change water, etc.... Its a big responsability to lay on your folks that may or may not know what they are getting into.

As mentioned above, a fish only tank would be easier, or a freshwater tank is even easier

Upvote 0

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on financial situation and also what type of tank you are planning on setting up.

Seems like a waste of money to me if you are not going to enjoy it for 4 years.

If the money doesn't matter and if it's just a softy tank where you can get away with no dosing and letting it go a few months without a water change then go for it.

I would not want to ask anyone to do anything for my tank besides toss in some daily food and pull the magnet across the front glass a couple times a week. Anything other than a softy tank will require at least some dosing or a water change once a month.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Will7642

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go nano and may be take it with you? I kept a freshwater tank for 3/4 years at college then all through Med school. Kind of depends what the room or dorm setup is
Thanks for the reply I’ve been thinking about do this as well but I was worried about water changes. How did you go about changing the water in the tank while in college?

Upvote 0

jpark457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are one of the things that is way easier on a smaller tank. Changing 5 gallons on a 20 gallon tank is a 25% change. That can be done w a single bucket if needed. Whatever building it is is built for you to live there. There’s def a bathroom and probably a kitchen w water and drains just don’t make a mess to be considerate to everybody else. Eventually I mostly stopped as I was running a heavily planted tank w endlers livebearers which is basically it’s own refugium w chaeto.

If a nano reef it’s probably one of the few circumstances using store bought seawater makes more sense than mixing. And I’d stick to tough stuff like soft corals and clowns because you will prob have to move it a good few times assuming you are driving distance from home. I was 5-6 hours away by car so for the summer I would drive everything home but prob falls apart if you are farther or have to fly.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back