I am shocked at how quickly XF350 gyre drops off between cleanings!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two gyre XF350 angled slightly towards the surface to ensure I have surface agitation along the length of my 96 inch long tank. I can generally tell how strong they are by the wave length they push out in random burst mode (each side is set to random burst 100%) I wish I could set a minimum burst as I don't ever want them to go below 50% which they seem to favor 10% but regardless I find that if I don't clean them every two weeks they fall off hard!

I'd say they lose 75-85% power after two weeks and once I clean them go back to being full blast. I wouldn't complain if they were not a pain to remove and clean but I was really hoping for better performance between cleanings. I feel my vortechs could go 6 months without being cleaned and not skip a beat. I am really glad I never designed my tank's flow around these being anything other than supplemental surface agitators.

Does anyone else have these issues?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, same here and they are such a pain to clean!!

I actually added connector around 14” away from the motor so I can easily disconnect the whole thing and through it in a bucket of citric acid.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I went with 4 MP40s instead of gyres. Too many stories just like this of the maintenance required to keep them optimal

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two gyre XF350 angled slightly towards the surface to ensure I have surface agitation along the length of my 96 inch long tank. I can generally tell how strong they are by the wave length they push out in random burst mode (each side is set to random burst 100%) I wish I could set a minimum burst as I don't ever want them to go below 50% which they seem to favor 10% but regardless I find that if I don't clean them every two weeks they fall off hard!

I'd say they lose 75-85% power after two weeks and once I clean them go back to being full blast. I wouldn't complain if they were not a pain to remove and clean but I was really hoping for better performance between cleanings. I feel my vortechs could go 6 months without being cleaned and not skip a beat. I am really glad I never designed my tank's flow around these being anything other than supplemental surface agitators.

Does anyone else have these issues?

Yes!

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a routine I've had to put in place to offset their inevitable decline. For my lps/softie tank I have two 330s set to antisync. After a fresh cleaning they run at 30% for two weeks, then 40% for a week, 50% for a week, then they get a thorough cleaning. Works fine, but a bit labor intensive. I dread monthly maintenance in large part because of my gyres. But I do love the flow they create...and with this schedule I can keep it pretty close to consistent all the time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back