I am so upset with myself...

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was my, "scrub down the inside glass" day. I went about my business. About 20 minutes after I was done, I walked by my tank and the fish were all on the bottom of the tank in clear distress. Upon further investigation my CB angel and one of my clowns was dead. I went into panic mode. And then I realized I had drenched my hands in hand sanitizer about five minutes before I stuck them in the tank. I totally forgot to wash them off.

Well I immediately dosed prime and then emptied 50% of the tank. Increase the airflow into the tank. THANKFULLY within ten minutes of changing the water, everybody seemed back to themselves.

Three hours later and it's like nothing happened. I loved my CB - he was my first "real" fish after my two clowns. #crushed #learnedmylesson

So, remember to always rinse your hands and arms before sticking them in the tank!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to pick up a pair of these...
41t2kkNw42L.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A9KI7W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had mine for 2.5 years. I still occasionally ut my hands in the tank, but 90% of the time I'm wearing the gloves. They work great.

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was my, "scrub down the inside glass" day. I went about my business. About 20 minutes after I was done, I walked by my tank and the fish were all on the bottom of the tank in clear distress. Upon further investigation my CB angel and one of my clowns was dead. I went into panic mode. And then I realized I had drenched my hands in hand sanitizer about five minutes before I stuck them in the tank. I totally forgot to wash them off.

Well I immediately dosed prime and then emptied 50% of the tank. Increase the airflow into the tank. THANKFULLY within ten minutes of changing the water, everybody seemed back to themselves.

Three hours later and it's like nothing happened. I loved my CB - he was my first "real" fish after my two clowns. #crushed #learnedmylesson

So, remember to always rinse your hands and arms before sticking them in the tank!
Very sorry. Could have happend to anyone. Nice save. Way to have SW at the ready!

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to pick up a pair of these...
41t2kkNw42L.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A9KI7W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had mine for 2.5 years. I still occasionally ut my hands in the tank, but 90% of the time I'm wearing the gloves. They work great.

Everyone should wear full sleeve gloves all the time when you put your hands in the tank. Aside from avoiding incidents like these, you will save your hands a lot of stress and potentially keep you from getting poisoned.

It took my 10 years to realize the zoas in my tank made me break out in a rash after deep tank cleaning or moving rock. I try to keep even fingertips out of the water now.

Condolences to the OP. You really took care of business though to save what you could.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always laugh when people put gloves on to go into their tanks, or tell people they should have them on.

I suppose we should wear full body suits to go swimming in the ocean too? Just rinse off your hands under the tap, and your good to go.

OP, sorry for your loss. Just remember that unless you don't learn from your mistake, it was a mistake well made.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly sorry this happened to you and some critters.

I hope this thread is a good reminder for all of us, new and young in the hobby. We all make mistakes. Your thread is a good reminder and might just save some critters in the future.

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always laugh when people put gloves on to go into their tanks, or tell people they should have them on.

I suppose we should wear full body suits to go swimming in the ocean too? Just rinse off your hands under the tap, and your good to go.

OP, sorry for your loss. Just remember that unless you don't learn from your mistake, it was a mistake well made.

My tap water is ~400 TDS.

OP lost fish because they weren’t wearing gloves - how funny! Ha ha what a riot!

Comparing swimming in the ocean versus a contained water system is ridiculous. You do not wallow in a reef like an anemone fish but in the tank you are in close contact with toxic creatures who use chemical warfare as a biological response - in a closed system.

So funny! HAHAHAHA YAY!

Back