I built an automatic alkalinity tester

Domi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently built a first pilot version of an automatic alkalinity tester that sends me a mail every day with the current alkalinity and also writes this in a file so I can make graphs.
It is still in the testing phase but so far it is very reproducible and correlates well with the values of my Hannah checker.
I will test now for a while and improve it. If there is interest I can share how to build such an automatic alkalinity tester in more detail. For me the parts were around 100$, so quite cheap compared to products on the market.
For now, I made a video where I show how the tester works:

Cheers,
Dominik

Scubatricky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to build one. Please post Details. I refuse to pay $600 to measure alk, let alone give Neptune any more of my money!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 99% sure this is beyond my DIY abilities because it does not involve a hammer, but would love to get more details from you. Think what you did there is fantastic.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as the rest - great job, I to would like to build one but the programming is outside my league.
Unless we were able to use your code....................................................................LOL
excellent job!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to that pump design? Do you ever get any skipped steps? And how accurate is it, how many planned drops before you get a missing/additional drop?

And is that clear dispensing tip a correctly color coded 27g one, or does it just happen to be clear? The finest ones I could find on aliexpress were the red 25g ones.

Last edited:

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I like the others would very much appreciate it if you would do a more in depth write up.

OP
OP
D

Domi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks for the positive feedback and sorry for the late reply. I am still optimizing the design, last weekend I designed a PCB (first time I did this), I hope it will be shipped next week so I can test it. I also redesigned the pump rotor and head as it was not very durable, after one month a part of the rotor broke. This rotor was designed to flex a little bit, I assume the constant flexing caused it to break after a while. I will test again and once I have everything working like I want it to I will share the blueprints.

Very cool. I love the small form factor of the peristaltic heads. I would love to see a parts list. Especially where to source the very fine dosing tip.

Dennis
Parts list will follow. The dosing tip is a pipet tip, my girfriend works in a lab and I asked her to bring some pipet tips. Alternatively I think also a needle from a syringe would work. I just wanted to have a small opening so it shoots mini droplets.

Same as the rest - great job, I to would like to build one but the programming is outside my league.
Unless we were able to use your code....................................................................LOL
excellent job!
Once I have everything together I can also share the code, that shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have a link to that pump design? Do you ever get any skipped steps? And how accurate is it, how many planned drops before you get a missing/additional drop?

And is that clear dispensing tip a correctly color coded 27g one, or does it just happen to be clear? The finest ones I could find on aliexpress were the red 25g ones.
I am improving the pump a the moment. I did not have skipped steps and the volumes it pumps are very reproducible. I measured several times in a row and got the same result. The reason I redesign it is because a part of the rotor broke after only one month.
The tips are 200ul pipet tips.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back