I can’t believe it’s come to this

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m staring at my tank and admiring the sudden boom in the population of copepods I had a sudden realization. If I were to tell my friends that the thing I was most excited about in my tank was not how well the fish were doing but about these tiny, tiny “bugs” that would basically be invisible to anyone else they would start calling me a nerd before I even finish my sentence. I never would have thought that it would get to this point either :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As I’m staring at my tank and admiring the sudden boom in the population of copepods I had a sudden realization. If I were to tell my friends that the thing I was most excited about in my tank was not how well the fish were doing but about these tiny, tiny “bugs” that would basically be invisible to anyone else they would start calling me a nerd before I even finish my sentence. I never would have thought that it would get to this point either :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
They hide in crevices and multiply. Consider small wrasses such as yellow coris and other fish like springieri damsels that eat pods

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t just talk about it. Show them. My friends and family think the entire tank is amazing. Maybe they will want help starting their own tank after seeing yours.

Sometimes there is something in my tank I think nothing of. And that’s the thing someone sees and is like woah look at that! Like a baby starfish or a weird snail lol

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my grandkids were young, we would lay on our stomachs with flashlight and magnifying glass and peer into refugium. Now at 25 years mature, I host sponges (ornamental & cryptic), flame scallops and feathers of many other filter feeders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide in crevices and multiply. Consider small wrasses such as yellow coris and other fish like springieri damsels that eat pods
Yeah I’m building up a population right now for an eventual mandarin. I was surprised at how suddenly they started showing themselves in the last couple of days though, they’re pretty much all over the glass now

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t just talk about it. Show them. My friends and family think the entire tank is amazing. Maybe they will want help starting their own tank after seeing yours.

Sometimes there is something in my tank I think nothing of. And that’s the thing someone sees and is like woah look at that! Like a baby starfish or a weird snail lol

Oh yeah this was in no way meant to be a negative post, they’re all fascinated by the tank. I just found it funny that I caught myself nerding out

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah this was in no way meant to be a negative post, they’re all fascinated by the tank. I just found it funny that I caught myself nerding out

When my daughters teenage friends would visit, I heard her tell one friend, ”Don’t ask Dad about the janitors in the tank, he will never stop talking”. My version of “nerd out”.

If your addicted; embrace it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I’m building up a population right now for an eventual mandarin. I was surprised at how suddenly they started showing themselves in the last couple of days though, they’re pretty much all over the glass now
After lights go out, shine a flashlight at rocks and you’ll really see the population

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NERD!!!!!!!! Ha , just kidding. Back in the 90’s after purchasing a new coral on a small piece of live rock, I could sit for an hour with a flashlight after lights out and watch all the new critters that came in with it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the scene in Men in Black, a mailbox opens up and a view of another world comes into view. I call these workers in my display the “little people”

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NERD!!!!!!!! Ha , just kidding. Back in the 90’s after purchasing a new coral on a small piece of live rock, I could sit for an hour with a flashlight after lights out and watch all the new critters that came in with it.
The first time I ordered detrivore diversity from IndoPacificSeaFarm in Hawaii, while I was observing new arrivals, it was necessary from me to view critters in the dark. When wife walked into dark closet, she witnessed me peering into bags of water. Praise God for agape love: in spite of my behavior, she loves me.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lights go out, shine a flashlight at rocks and you’ll really see the population

I've been doing that the past couple days haha. I need to stop though since it seems to wake up my threadfin and make it go a little crazy. They're pretty much all over the glasswork even during the daytime though so I can only imagine how many will show up at night in a few days.

Get a pod condo and hide behind your rocks or in your sump
Tough to beat a container full of rock rubble IME.

I'm thinking of putting in a hob fuge, but I'm probably going to get another box of frag rocks and make a couple of rock piles for them to shelter in

The first time I ordered detrivore diversity from IndoPacificSeaFarm in Hawaii, while I was observing new arrivals, it was necessary from me to view critters in the dark. When wife walked into dark closet, she witnessed me peering into bags of water. Praise God for agape love: in spite of my behavior, she loves me.

At any one moment someone would walk downstairs and find me staring at different parts of the tank LOL.
"I'm checking on each fish to make sure everyone is healthy I swear!"

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wasn't looking for a way to get rid of them, lol!!

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a couple wrasse on the way so I'm bracing myself for a bit of a population dip lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back