I confess...I like to rub my butt!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know you came here obviously to talk about Pork........ Another hobby I have besides reefing is smoking BBQ. Now that the weather is warming up I am smoking every weekend. Anyways, I was marinating and prepping a pork butt tonight for tomorrow's cook. During my marinade prep I always spend a lot of time caressing the herbs and spices into the butt. Talking 20 minutes or so. My wife made a couple comments and said "how long are you going to rub that thing for".

So this leads me to my question. If you BBQ.....How long do you rub your butt for? Honestly, I don't really want to know about you rubbing your butt if you don't BBQ. That would belong on another forum. :D

20200404_223607.jpg

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will rub my but for a good 10 minutes or so. Just to massage the rub into the meat.

Totally not the thread I was expecting! Then again, with a title like that, I wasn't sure what to expect. lol

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually marinade for about an hour, then do a quick rub down with whatever dry spices I used in the marinade, mixed with yellow mustard and apple juice. Probably 5 minutes or so. Gives a nice color, crust, and smoke layer.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its overnight marinade in apple cider then I rub till it feels and looks right :)

Pretty much my approach. Just when I think I am done rubbing i find another spot to keep rubbing.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any injections?

I used to inject a mixture of apple juice and rub throughout the butt. It did make it very tender but it seemed to not allow a lot of smoke penetration. It would taste more sweet than smoky. I stopped injecting a couple butts back and I won't do it again. I think it just tastes better without. Plus once the butt reaches 205 then it just falls apart anyways... mmmm

Yesterday was good!
20200405_171052.jpg

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That butt looks delicious ;Drool. LOL. I did my first test run on bacon last week. Turned out great but pretty basic honey cure. I've been brewing up ideas for more savory cures since. It just takes a while to eat 9 pounds of pork belly.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That butt looks delicious ;Drool. LOL. I did my first test run on bacon last week. Turned out great but pretty basic honey cure. I've been brewing up ideas for more savory cures since. It just takes a while to eat 9 pounds of pork belly.
Pork belly sandwiches on the menu?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet that was good!!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inject with a mix of apple cider and apple cider vinegar as i don't think marinading is effective with a 9lb hunk of meat.

I use a shaker to apply the rub and water sticks to it is what it is.

I let it rest about 40 minutes when I get the smoker running and settled in.

I also love doing pernil, injecting with mojo criollo and rubbing with adobo. Pernil is fanastic in the smoker and you can cook it fast and hot taking it when it's 165° as pernil is cut with a knife and not pulled.

I prefer a hybrid method, 275° smoker temp and take it to 185°. It still slices but I find that extra tenderness better.

Don't trim that fat cap. score it and let that adobo get in between those cuts and you'll have tasty chicharron

And use an aluminum pan, you will want all the pernil juices.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inject with a mix of apple cider and apple cider vinegar as i don't think marinading is effective with a 9lb hunk of meat.

I use a shaker to apply the rub and water sticks to it is what it is.

I let it rest about 40 minutes when I get the smoker running and settled in.

I also love doing pernil, injecting with mojo criollo and rubbing with adobo. Pernil is fanastic in the smoker and you can cook it fast and hot taking it when it's 165° as pernil is cut with a knife and not pulled.

I prefer a hybrid method, 275° smoker temp and take it to 185°. It still slices but I find that extra tenderness better.

Don't trim that fat cap. score it and let that adobo get in between those cuts and you'll have tasty chicharron

And use an aluminum pan, you will want all the pernil juices.
I will have to try this one out. My family loves Mexican flavors (at least twice a week).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back