I did the bad...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read through this thread you would have known the anemone died. And secondly live rock doesn't have to have coraline algae on it to be live. The bacteria on the rocks is what makes it beneficial.
There were too many posts. I was just adding my part. My point about the rock is that it doesn’t look alive

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the newer live rock had hard little white tubes all over it and was almost iffy about putting it in. the purple live rock was covered in junk too but yeah, the clowns covered it in sand
It’s all good buddy. Wish you the best. Keep growing the tank and move on. This hobby isn’t as hard as one would think as long as you have patience.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the future, look up videos on how to acclimate. Drip method isn’t the way to go. Acclimate in bag to temp and pour fish into net and discard water and drop only fish, not old water, into your tank

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns are really sticking this process out... still gonna be worried until the tank levels out. been getting distilled gallons of water and changing 1-2 gal out per day(till I grab a power head- been mixing manually...forever.) their favorite place has been under the big purple rock. they’ve cleaned the sand out of the area and look at themselves on the bottom. here’s a vid of them eating just now... I meant to pause the tv but forgot, sorry!

Last edited:

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns are really sticking this process out... still gonna be worried until the tank levels out. been getting distilled gallons of water and changing 1-2 gal out per day(till I grab a motorhead- been mixing manually...forever.) their favorite place has been under the big purple rock. they’ve cleaned the sand out of the area and look at themselves on the bottom. here’s a vid of them eating just now... I meant to pause the tv but forgot, sorry!

Sweet, I think it's better with the sound! They look good to me! Just remember ammonia is toxic, so as long as you can manage the ammonia then you will be good.

I think you will be good since clownfish are hardy! Will be following along and rooting for you.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns are good. The Ls and lr is a fine job. Just like everybody said watch ammonia and you'll be good. I almost did what you did.
I set up the tank wanted three days. 40lbs Ls 35lbs lr I added live bacteria and put the clowns in the tank. Freaked out like you and it turned out alright. Keep going you'll make mistakes but you'll learn. Keep it up .

Cessna89811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return the anemone. The clown fish are hardy. You can do a quick cycle with Instant Ocean BIO-Spira
Get the Seachem Ammonia Alert. Do not add anymore fish...

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not mean to be argumentative but is this joke. You know this site to ask a question and you create this unbelievable situation. Did you never read one posting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recommend to return them to store and have them placed on hold for 2-3 weeks. When you visit Any store in the future, be sure to tell them the size and age of tank. If they cannot work with you on these basis- I would consider a different LFS. Yes, tank needs to be cycled. I recommend Dr. Tim's the ONE AND ONLY or Fritz Turbo Zyme 900. These will accelerate the bacteria/cycle process but Nor necessarily open the door to immediate stocking.
This is a game of patience and NEVER --------Never let impulse get the best of you. It is Worth the Wait. I recommend the best multi test kit you can afford and have the LFS test water samples for you for comparisons until you have the test/test kit figured out

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's okay, its a learning experience that we have all been through. When I first started in 93, I lost +300 in fish due to ich out break. Made me almost give up. I learned, yes the hard way and moved on. Back when I started there wasn't any internet, just advice from the LFS and books. I became a reading junkie, learning everything I could because I wanted a tank like they had at the LFS before I tried again. Research and reading everything you can will give you insight on how to proceed. It reduces failures, save you money (BIG ONE, because this isn't a cheap hobby) and more importantly helps us keep these amazing creatures in our home.

Patience and learning will serve you well. Trust me, I know, as others before you know as well.

Hang in there!

Now the clowns. .25 ammonia is most likely background noise with the test kit, because the tank is so new. One of two things will happen, the added bacteria will consume the available ammonia the clowns produce and will start to show nitrite. Nitrite is less toxic than ammonia, but it's toxic. The nitrite will then be consumed and those levels will start to drop. That's when you will see nitrate start to rise. Nitrate is way less toxic to fish, corals and inverts. Once this shows and the ammonia and nitrite reach zero and all you see is nitrate, your most likely cycled.

The other thing that can happen is the bottle bacteria consumes the ammonia the fish are producing, but there isn't enough ammonia to keep the bacteria alive and then the cycle stalls. At this point you may have to add more bacteria to keep the cycle going.

Test for all three at least once a day for the next week. If the cycle stalls and ammonia climbs with little nitrite showing, add more bacteria. You can, if this happens, do a water change to remove some of the ammonia and keep the levels down.

Hang in there, we are pulling for you!
Just wanted to say your comment really helped. ammonia/nitrite has been at 0 since last sunday and nitrate has been below 8ish. today it’s around a 4/5.0 (don’t want to open a new post but)I’m no longer concerned if they’ll be alright:) fish are fat & happy -they eat so much I might have nightmares of them being a foot long staring at me when I wake up

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say your comment really helped. ammonia/nitrite has been at 0 since last sunday and nitrate has been below 8ish. today it’s around a 4/5.0 (don’t want to open a new post but)I’m no longer concerned if they’ll be alright:) fish are fat & happy -they eat so much I might have nightmares of them being a foot long staring at me when I wake up. they’ve also been doing weird vibrating mating stuff, been researchin’!

Glad to hear! :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say your comment really helped. ammonia/nitrite has been at 0 since last sunday and nitrate has been below 8ish. today it’s around a 4/5.0 (don’t want to open a new post but)I’m no longer concerned if they’ll be alright:) fish are fat & happy -they eat so much I might have nightmares of them being a foot long staring at me when I wake up

Great to hear!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back