I did the bad...

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so um.

today I decided was the day to start my saltwater tank... got everything, INCLUDING THE FISH! mixed IO by hand(used hydrometer) put my 6lb live purple rock in the (20 gal) tank, put in the water+conditioner, waited maybe 4 hours, then put the babes’ bag on top of the water before doing a drip acclimation.

THEN**** I read that a tank has to cycle. Honestly how screwed am I? I have two clownfish and an anemone. I have the bags open clipped to the inside of the tank. would they be alright in those bags overnight? Or? I don’t have any kind of water tester tonight aside from the hydrometer

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so um.

today I decided was the day to start my saltwater tank... got everything, INCLUDING THE FISH! mixed IO by hand(used hydrometer) put my 6lb live purple rock in the (20 gal) tank, put in the water+conditioner, waited maybe 4 hours, then put the babes’ bag on top of the water before doing a drip acclimation.

THEN**** I read that a tank has to cycle. Honestly how screwed am I? I have two clownfish and an anemone. I have the bags open clipped to the inside of the tank. would they be alright in those bags overnight? Or? I don’t have any kind of water tester tonight aside from the hydrometer

No since the bags are open, as long as the SG is correct and temperature is 77-78, get them into the tank. First thing tomorrow, return them to the LFS you bought them from. Then let the tank cycle.

Do you have test kits?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need new oxygen and will be dead overnight! You be better off to remove them from their bag and just dump in for the night honestly than leave in bag Plus side is the fish will create ammonia to start your cycle.....But until the cycle they are exposed to high levels of ammonia and won’t survive if left in during cycle and I wouldn’t add a anemone till 6months - year

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have bottled bacterial cylcle aids you can cycle it with the fish in the tank.
The potential for the fish to die is still high and the anemone is NEVER going to make it. OP is better off returning the poor live animals and doing this properly.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the responses- I did end up putting them in. heart hurts knowing they probably hurt.

just hoping the live rock and live sand I put in there at least helped.

will report tomorrow
Don’t sweat it your fish store should have known better but anyways Welcome to reef2reef your in good hands this hobby is a continuous learning experience and tons of research don’t be afraid to ask for help or opinions Out of curiosity what kind of water did you mix your salt with?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the live rock is truly live rock, the fish will be just fine. The anemone however, will likely struggle and I'd return it (regardless of whether they give you credit or not).

This. exactly.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back