I did the bad...

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have live rock and live sand! except, no bio spira on hand rn

Can you get some tomorrow? I think this or any other bacteria that claims to allow fish to be added instantly is your best bet if fish aren't returned. Who knows if your live rock have enough benifical bacteria to process the two clowns bio load. Adding more benifical bacteria can only help.

What size is the tank?

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some tomorrow? I think this or any other bacteria that claims to allow fish to be added instantly is your best bet if fish aren't returned. Who knows if your live rock have enough benifical bacteria to process the two clowns bio load. Adding more benifical bacteria can only help.

What size is the tank?
I’ll definitely go scout some out tomorrow. it’s 20gal

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Petco and most fish stores carry Bio Spira. Better to dose more than what is needed, and have more on hand at all times when setting up a new tank. One large bottle typically costs like $15-$20 and does up to 75 gallons. Amazon even offers next or same day delivery for free with Prime, $11.47 for an 8 oz bottle.

I used like 3 bottles when I first setup my 220 display tank. In combination with the "real reef rock" and live sand, Instantly cycled.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that rock was in any sort of cycling system, OP will probably be fine.

Getting a tank cycling is so hard on the fish because it takes a while for the bacteria to show up in the first place. When you add rock or substrate...any rock or substrate...from a mature, cycling system, you get the bacteria needed.

Then it’s just a matter of letting the #s come up to a level sufficient to metabolize the NH3/4. Couple of days at the most, and it’s unlikely that 2 fish and an anemone can create enough NH3/4 in a 20gal tank to overwhelm the existing bacteria until they reproduce sufficiently.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Slow down. You've got some good advice here and we are here to help. I'm seriously hoping they gave you real live rock but I would return that anemone and fish. Seeing how this was sold to you I'd wager their definition of live rock is a bit different. Bottled bacteria can aid in a cycle but in no way should you EVER put fish and an anemone in a tank in 2 days after setting it up. I would return your livestock, do research and ask questions and go slow. Rushing in this hobby will get you nowhere very fast.

I disagree i personly setup two tanks with a gallon of that bb i mentioned.. and lost no fish or coral.. never saw ammonia spikes or ammonia period it went right to nitrate

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that rock was in any sort of cycling system, OP will probably be fine.

Getting a tank cycling is so hard on the fish because it takes a while for the bacteria to show up in the first place. When you add rock or substrate...any rock or substrate...from a mature, cycling system, you get the bacteria needed.

Then it’s just a matter of letting the #s come up to a level sufficient to metabolize the NH3/4. Couple of days at the most, and it’s unlikely that 2 fish and an anemone can create enough NH3/4 in a 20gal tank to overwhelm the existing bacteria until they reproduce sufficiently.
I disagree i personly setup two tanks with a gallon of that bb i mentioned.. and lost no fish or coral.. never saw ammonia spikes or ammonia period it went right to nitrate

Glad to hear. Sounds hopeful that the fish may have a good chance at surviving.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone id return the fish if he gets that bottle of bacteria from fritzyme 9 they will be fine as long as he monitors ammonia..

Anemone looks bleached anyway..

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can disagree all you want. I will disagree with your "setup" as well and that advice is not something I'd spread around. Good luck on your future tank and inhabitants. Just because you do something in haste and didn't have the will to do it correctly doesn't mean your successful or should spread bad info on how someone should start a tank. Many people have more experience doing this than you realize and your practice is not something I would ever recommend, especially someone who already was given poor advice to begin with.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely go scout some out tomorrow. it’s 20gal
Quick tip: if you don’t have access to rodi water, distilled water from grocery store is good as well, in fact it’s what I’m using now as I’m still saving for rodi unit

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that many years in the hobby I'm surprised you don't know your tank is over stocked and am surprised you'd tell someone new all they need is a gallon of bacteria. Many members on this forum try to help people everyday, I'd suggest reading the forum rules before you post what you did. I see you edited your post already. We will be here to help when your current tank has issues as well as I see we've helped a bit since you joined. With 20 years experience you didn't know what a zoa was.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that escalated quickly... I would at the very least get bacteria in a bottle, an ammonia test, and return the anemone tomorrow. And be prepared to do 5-10g water changes if you start reading ammonia or notice the fish acting strange.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that many years in the hobby I'm surprised you don't know your tank is over stocked and am surprised you'd tell someone new all they need is a gallon of bacteria. Many members on this forum try to help people everyday, I'd suggest reading the forum rules before you post what you did. I see you edited your post already. We will be here to help when your current tank has issues as well as I see we've helped a bit since you joined.

As i said in my 2nd edit.. ima go upstairs and enjoy my bubbling cesspool of death while you keep trying to convince me what i did somehow didnt work lol.

As for overstocked... says who you ? Reminds me of freshwater people who dont know what they are talking about. the tank is only overstocked if you cant maintain water quality and aggression... and i have 0 aggressive behavior. and water quality is fantastic.. If the fish get bigger and i need more room ill simply buy a bigger tank or swap them to my 92g corner tank or hell ny 135g which is 3 feet accross the room... end of discussion.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can disagree all you want. I will disagree with your "setup" as well and that advice is not something I'd spread around. Good luck on your future tank and inhabitants. Just because you do something in haste and didn't have the will to do it correctly doesn't mean your successful or should spread bad info on how someone should start a tank. Many people have more experience doing this than you realize and your practice is not something I would ever recommend, especially someone who already was given poor advice to begin with.

There is a difference between giving poor advise and having a simple disagreement.

These poor cats, man, they can be skinned more than just one way. Get it?

Some cycle the tank one way, others like myself do it another. Both ways can bring you to the same goal of success while not harming your livestock. If you cant accept that, you are the one with the problem.

Please understand that you arent in the right here because you are too limited in your thinking nor are you in the wrong with the way that is YOUR PREFERENCE.

Now, this is a forum, and with forums, there will be differing opinions. Please act respectfully to others and their opinions, which are typically built on experiences that were/are different than your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was cycled with three bottles of bio spira nearly two years ago.

I've cycled countless barebones QT setups with bio spira, a Red Sea Reefer 170, Fluval Evo 5 and 13 as well.

For the OP. Water quality is everything right now, and that means monitoring ammonia. If you are going to keep these two clownfish you will not want to feed them at all for the next day or so. Call around to confirm the availability of a bacteria-in-a-bottle product, such as Bio Spira or Fritz. There are quite a few others out there that also work.

Get the bottle (make sure it's in large enough quantity for your water volume) and bring it home, shake it up and add the entire contents to the tank. Your fish should be fine. Get an ammonia alert badge by SeaChem while your at it and install it below the water level and facing out so you can check the indicated color against the examples for various levels of ammonia.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was cycled with three bottles of bio spira nearly two years ago.

I've cycled countless barebones QT setups with bio spira, a Red Sea Reefer 170, Fluval Evo 5 and 13 as well.

For the OP. Water quality is everything right now, and that means monitoring ammonia. If you are going to keep these two clownfish you will not want to feed them at all for the next day or so. Call around to confirm the availability of a bacteria-in-a-bottle product, such as Bio Spira or Fritz. There are quite a few others out there that also work.

Get the bottle (make sure it's in large enough quantity for your water volume) and bring it home, shake it up and add the entire contents to the tank. Your fish should be fine. Get an ammonia alert badge by SeaChem while your at it and install it below the water level and facing out so you can check the indicated color against the examples for various levels of ammonia.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the OP's clownfish couldn't live with some bottled bacteria and ammonia monitoring. The problem is that the OP is very new to this, new enough to not know about the nitrogen cycle. Could we bandaid him along? Sure, but given the level of experience, it would be a much wiser decision to return the livestock and let the tank go through a traditional cycle of a few weeks to give the OP time to research, which would give him/her a much better chance at long term success.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is arguing that the OP's clownfish couldn't live with some bottled bacteria and ammonia monitoring. The problem is that the OP is very new to this, new enough to not know about the nitrogen cycle. Could we bandaid him along? Sure, but given the level of experience, it would be a much wiser decision to return the livestock and let the tank go through a traditional cycle of a few weeks to give the OP time to research, which would give him/her a much better chance at long term success.
There needs to be a big thumbs up emoji somewhere. I mean, the upgraded marketplace is going to be cool but what about more emoji so we can express ourselves better in the 21st century. :D

If I had to guess, OP is reading on nitrogen cycle right now.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then...

@bbones Welcome to R2R and I'm so sorry you are learning the hard way. Many of us have and no-one is shaking fingers at you.

Just research a bit before your endeavors my friend.

Honestly, the clowns are quite beautiful for sure but looking at their fins it is clear they are not comfortable at all and even if it means donating them back for their well being please consider doing so as it is really painful for fishes to be used to cycle a tank. Fishless cycle is painless and effective. ;)

It appears you have a Condy anemone (hard for me to see for certain at the moment) which is not the best to home most clownfishes with maybe the exception of a big old grumpy Maroon. (Yep, done it) lol

I encourage you to replace your hydrometer with a refractometer for more accurate results and if you don't have a test kit please buy something for the top 3 tests to keep track of the nitrogen process.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

~Best Regards~

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is exactly my thinking right here.

I see people rush things and chase their tail trying to solve problems along the way all the time.

For someone new to reefs this can be very frustrating and often enough to lose interest in the hobby.

Often this comes w/ fish deaths as a result.

While I agree there are usually different methods for success, most of us here are encouraging responsible reef keeping and trying to help others be successful, and keep the hobby enjoyable.

Even starting off properly there will be plenty of challenges, personally I would not want to start off chasing my tail and a crash course in chemistry does not sound like an enjoyable introduction to the hobby.

To OP, many people make mistakes or receive bad advice, I would not beat yourself up over it, but I would encourage you to start off on a good foot and many people here would be glad to help you along the way, and this would most likely make a much more enjoyable experience for you, and the animals you keep.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEP GOOD LUCK TO ME... I SURE HOPE NO ONE DIES.. HAR HAR HAR.. iv3 only been keeping aquariums for 20 years.. i sure know notjing about the cycling process.. youre totally right..

20190215_122440.jpg

Sorry dude, but this tank looks like a yard sale.
20 years in the hobby and this is your image of success?

I understand you may think you are trying to help, but based on this you have no grounds for bashing other reefers for suggesting proven methods for success

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back