OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so quick update again before bed... the clowns came out of their hideyhole and started exploring. is this good? or just still hoping for the best in the morning

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d
Don’t sweat it your fish store should have known better but anyways Welcome to reef2reef your in good hands this hobby is a continuous learning experience and tons of research don’t be afraid to ask for help or opinions Out of curiosity what kind of water did you mix your salt with?
directions said tap... I’m guessing that’s incorrect:(

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Slow down. You've got some good advice here and we are here to help. I'm seriously hoping they gave you real live rock but I would return that anemone and fish. Seeing how this was sold to you I'd wager their definition of live rock is a bit different. Bottled bacteria can aid in a cycle but in no way should you EVER put fish and an anemone in a tank in 2 days after setting it up. I would return your livestock, do research and ask questions and go slow. Rushing in this hobby will get you nowhere very fast.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d

Tap is okay at this point, but RO/DI is really needed. Tap has a great deal of unknowns in it. Heavy metals, chlorine or chlorimines, nitrates, phosphates.... it’s best to use RO/DI water.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d

What directions? From the salt mix? Just curious. Generally speaking you want RO water at the very least and RODI is highly preferred. RO can be OK for fish but RODI is needed for any other life that lives in a reef tank besides fish. I'm no expert so someone else may know exactly why, I just know that RODI is very very very very highly recommended. There are options to buy premixed saltwater or RO/distilled water and what not but it's almost always more ideal to just make your own RODI.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Slow down. You've got some good advice here and we are here to help. I'm seriously hoping they gave you real live rock but I would return that anemone and fish. Seeing how this was sold to you I'd wager their definition of live rock is a bit different. Bottled bacteria can aid in a cycle but in no way should you EVER put fish and an anemone in a tank in 2 days after setting it up. I would return your livestock, do research and ask questions and go slow. Rushing in this hobby will get you nowhere very fast.

Agreed, any amount of ammonia is damaging or life threatening. Can damage gils and internal organs. Bottled bacteria is useless without a test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Returning them to petco is the best thing you can do. Unfortunately the anemone will not survive in even a newly cycled tank. Returning it is the only option or it will die. Sorry.

Slow down and read the links @Crabs Mcjones provided on starting a new salt tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll be fine for awhile.

Get yourself this. I bought this 1 gal bottle for my 30g and 27g hexagon now 60g hex.. and poured the entire bottle in.... tank was cycled in 2 days i had 4 fish an anemone and 6 corals.. lost none of them... ammonia wasnt even present and i had nitrates in days.. feed the anemone

https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquati...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DD2WZHVEB32SRVG2H2SW
This may not work in every instance, please take caution with this approach as it is not recommended. There is no miracle "instant start" for aquariums.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not work in every instance, please take caution with this approach as it is not recommended. There is no miracle "instant start" for aquariums.

Agreed, it’s not recommended and is hit or miss. You must have all your required test kits to even attempt this.

@bbones, some excellent advise from some highly experienced, long term reefers has been given to aid you. You got off in the wrong foot, but it’s not the end of the world and it’s okay. We want you to be successful in your new found hobby!

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the live rock is truly live rock, the fish will be just fine. The anemone however, will likely struggle and I'd return it (regardless of whether they give you credit or not).
100% it’s live. dad has went to the fam owned fish store a ince I was kid. even had to wash hands and get in to scoop it out myself. thanks for the positive vibes about the fish! they are blowing sand everywhere

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% it’s live. dad has went to the fam owned fish store a ince I was kid. even had to wash hands and get in to scoop it out myself. thanks for the positive vibes about the fish! they are blowing sand everywhere

Can you get bacteria in a bottle (like Dr. Tim's one and only or any one that says you can add fish instantly), an API freshwater master test kit, and an ammonia alert at the very least? And some Sechem prime to neutralize ammonia once it shows up.

I would still recommend taking the fish back as I've not heard of anyone being successful before without first cycling the tank first. I'm not saying it's not possible, and I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't personally seen someone who hasn't cycled get through it without losing fish.

If you need more info on those products let me know and I can give links and examples. Just trying to help.

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you everyone for the advice and wisdom! will definitely be more careful with this in the future. didn’t go in wanting to be harmful. I’ll be weeping and browsing these threads the next few weeks.

9866D088-2854-4FD8-BAFF-0FCDD4D7A5A1.jpeg

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was me setting up a tank, I'd say stick with it and keep the fish BUT that it must be done with actual live rock that was pulled from an existing tank, Bio Spira and live sand. I've set a few tanks up like this and have never waited for more than a few minutes before adding fish but I was better prepared than you are right now. BIO SPIRA FOR THE WIN!

Send the anemone back to the store, it will die!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R where there are lots of lovely people and extremely good information and help. I can’t really add much, except chime in, and return the live stock. It would also help if I knew the address to this shop, I’m kinda eager to stand in line to well explain what they did was wrong.

You didn’t mention tank size or what you were trying to achieve. It will be easier to remove the rock when you go to catch your fish. (Well if it’s a small tank, if it’s a large tank it’s easier said then done to catch fish). Taking all the rock out also in larger tanks is kinda painful lol.

We would definitely love to see pictures, and follow your success in this fantastic addicting hobby. As others said, this is a very very slow hobby. If you try and go fast, you may not like the outcome of it. To be brutally honest, watching things grow and fill in is half the fun (well to me). Good luck and always feel free to ask for help.

Sincerely
Sarah

OP
OP
B

bbones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was me setting up a tank, I'd say stick with it and keep the fish BUT that it must be done with actual live rock that was pulled from an existing tank, Bio Spira and live sand. I've set a few tanks up like this and have never waited for more than a few minutes before adding fish but I was better prepared than you are right now. BIO SPIRA FOR THE WIN!

Send the anemone back to the store, it will die!
I do have live rock and live sand! except, no bio spira on hand rn

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so um.

today I decided was the day to start my saltwater tank... got everything, INCLUDING THE FISH! mixed IO by hand(used hydrometer) put my 6lb live purple rock in the (20 gal) tank, put in the water+conditioner, waited maybe 4 hours, then put the babes’ bag on top of the water before doing a drip acclimation.

THEN**** I read that a tank has to cycle. Honestly how screwed am I? I have two clownfish and an anemone. I have the bags open clipped to the inside of the tank. would they be alright in those bags overnight? Or? I don’t have any kind of water tester tonight aside from the hydrometer
This is wrong on so many levels, where to begin?;Wideyed

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back