I don’t even know where to start with this one

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just received a shipment of rock from gulf live rock—let the IDing fun begin!

Can anyone tell me what this could be? It’s large, about 3” long. It has a kind of calcified exterior, but gives a little bit when you poke it. Doesn’t feel like a clam shell. The whole exterior looks like rock, but feels soft inside when you poke it.

I haven’t noticed it moving yet, but you can move it with tongs as you can see in the video.

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can anyone tell me what this could be? It’s large, about 3” long. It has a kind of calcified exterior, but gives a little bit when you poke it. Doesn’t feel like a clam shell. The whole exterior looks like rock, but feels soft inside when you poke it.

I haven’t noticed it moving yet, but you can move it with tongs as you can see in the video.

Have you ever seen it open up at all or anything?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something that looked kind of similar. Came to the conclusion it was a tunicate. The picture is close up so it's hard to see but it appeared the same way yours does when the tunicate would close up. Leave it alone for a while and see if a couple tubes open up.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a clam that is closed. The attachment is it's foot.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gulf live rock? A big red tunicate, like this one, but looks deflated and normally they would react to touch:
I just got the rock from gulf live rock and put it in the water about 30 minutes ago. This could be! Color is wrong, but shape and texture seems right. Although this is calcified on the outside, like coralline has grown on it, but squishes if you poke it.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I've had have some give to them but have a firm structure - sort of like a natural sponge for bathing but without all the holes. It's got a reddish tint, would be stressed, and has a fair bit of dust on it - you may be surprised at the color it ends up!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few " what's this threads " on newly purchased live rock and seen in them posts some share links from the vendor on the common hitch hikers that comes with the rock so maybe look on your sellers website to see if got one or look through " what's this live rock threads " to go to the link that others shared as often seen them.
Good luck and hope you enjoy watching and finding all the wonderful / interesting little critters you will find ha ha

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something that looked kind of similar. Came to the conclusion it was a tunicate. The picture is close up so it's hard to see but it appeared the same way yours does when the tunicate would close up. Leave it alone for a while and see if a couple tubes open up.

Gulf live rock? A big red tunicate, like this one, but looks deflated and normally they would react to touch:
Agreed! Tunicates are an incredibly diverse group of animals.
https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/colored-tunicate-sea-squirt/
1648837575761.jpeg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tunicate or cucumber maybe. maybe a sea hare? kinda looks like Dolabella auricularia. where is the live rock grown?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen a few " what's this threads " on newly purchased live rock and seen in them posts some share links from the vendor on the common hitch hikers that comes with the rock so maybe look on your sellers website to see if got one or look through " what's this live rock threads " to go to the link that others shared as often seen them.
Good luck and hope you enjoy watching and finding all the wonderful / interesting little critters you will find ha ha
Thank you, I did check out their frequent hitchhiker page, but this just doesn’t seem to match any of them.
Found this on Google,not looked at ot so not sure if anything similar to what you got,but may help you with other stuff or help others who ordered same rock ^_^
Thanks
Tunicate or cucumber maybe. maybe a sea hare? kinda looks like Dolabella auricularia. where is the live rock grown?
Honestly it looks most like the sea hare, but seems firmly attached and I think sea hares are pretty mobile. I guess I’ll see if it moves or reinflates in the coming days.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you leave it alone does a mouth or other opening open?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back