I feel like a newbie!

Stevo1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive started up a new tank. I feel like I'm new to the hobby now. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I've been in the hobby for years! I've only ever done FOWLer tanks. I did well with them but now I want to move into a reef tank. I'm trying a new approach with this one. I'm currently cycling the tank. It's been up for about a month or so. It's a 75 gal. With about 120lbs of live rock. 20 gal. sump. And a 48 inch orbit marine LED lights. This is my first time using a RO/DI system. My parameters are looking pretty good. I currently have one fish (Talbots damsel) and about 10 crabs. I'm not ready to start buying coral yet. What are some good fish that will work with coral? Any advice on the next step? What are some corals that would be a good starter coral? Don't say that green grassy star polyp crap. I dabbled with that once. It went everywhere!

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your levels are stable you can get any coral. I wouldn't go out a spend a bunch of money on a reef raft piece but you can put anything in your tank. Buy packs. Look at pieces full grown too so you get an idea of what they look like. All too often people load their tanks with frags 1 inch apart. As soon as the coral starts growing, they'll touch and possibly die. Good luck.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I happen to love that green grassy star polyp crap, but I understand your reluctancy. I'm not good at killing it yet. Check out some mushrooms. Not the crazy expensive ones. Lots of colors and textures.

OP
OP
Stevo1222

Stevo1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to love that green grassy star polyp crap, but I understand your reluctancy. I'm not good at killing it yet. Check out some mushrooms. Not the crazy expensive ones. Lots of colors and textures.
I like them too. It's they went everywhere and I couldn't control them. Great color and fun to watch.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenia is a fan-favorite because of the movement, and it's near impossible to kill. However, like GSP- if it's happy it can take over. Ricordia mushrooms are really cool and come in all different colors.

Easier/cheaper LPS would be trumpet corals, hammer and frogspawns, etc.

Some starter SPS would be green birdsnest, montipora (caps or digi), and stylophora.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For LPS, Duncans and Micromussa(formally Acan Lord). The Euphyllia: Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn.
If you looking for movement without adding the invasive factor look to photosynthetic Gorgonians.
Of course Zoanthids, consider some Palythoa invasive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back