I feel lost. ..

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the excess nutrients have dropped a standard levels the green hair algae will start to fade away it helps to pull out as much as you can by hand

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely a combination of the over feeding and water. do you have a fish store near that sells either RO/DI or mixed saltwater?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing gha has to happen from the source. High phosphates are what cause it, and high nitrates fuel it even more. Yes over time it will go away on its own, but will take a while. You can beef up your clean up crew with red leg hermits, blue leg hermits, emerald crabs, trochus snails and turbo snails. A foxface will also plow through every type of algae they can get into their mouth usually. This will help rid the tank of it but you still need to stop it at the source.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you know there are a couple of portable Rodi units that you can hook up and take down without having to go into the Plumbing of the apartment

OP
OP
marine_science_addict

marine_science_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all your wonderful advice. I'm going to do my best to fix this issue! If anyone else has anything to add or experience to share please still comment!

OP
OP
marine_science_addict

marine_science_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't. What is the name of them? I would love to look into them! I know we plan to move out in a few months to a house and want to set up a system in our garage.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the name but it hooks up to the faucet of a sink and when your done you can put it away my friend had one in his apartment he kept in the spare bathroom it was great if you look it up you should be able to find it

Dylan R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I was over feeding and this happened, used phos guard and cut down feeding time and cut my light time down a little bit and I am good to go

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some places don't use Rodi water and the total dissolved solids in the water is very high things like phosphate and silica are in our water and they cause green hair algae to grow like crazy. TDS meter is a pretty cheap buy one of those and test your water and see what comes up to the lower the number the better

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Now one question I have is how is that water (by RODI) different from the water store

If you buy it from a local fish store it more than likely is rodi

How many water changes are you doing?

Fwiw I use phosphate sponge every time I can tell I have phosphate in my tank. Corals can be sensitive to it so you will want to be careful if you have any. If its fish only you can be more aggressive with it. I use it when I start to see any hair algae at all. Within 2 weeks after using it all the hair algae is gone. But I also have a large cleanup crew that helps.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Vegas I know it may be different in other places but there is on fish store out here the say it sell rodi water but it uses tap water. And a couple of the other store don't change the rodi filters as much as they should and the TDS is high because of it.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Vegas I know it may be different in other places but there is on fish store out here the say it sell rodi water but it uses tap water. And a couple of the other store don't change the rodi filters as much as they should and the TDS is high because of it.

This is why I would recommend they show the tds of the output water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back