I feel lost. ..

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or you could use phosguard in a bag and put it in filter sock where it can get maximum water flow on it

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put phosphate sponge inside a media bag and toss it into my hang on back filter

OP
OP
marine_science_addict

marine_science_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were going to do that but that is what we got our phosphate filter for. It hangs on the side of the sump. Water flows in, goes through the phosphate beads, then back into the sump

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what that it. But I bought a phosphate test kit and did it 4 times and it came our 0..... so I'm confused...

This is not surprising. What happens is the gha will absorb the phosphate quicker than it can be removed with media. It gets trapped inside the gha and your test kit will read 0.

OP
OP
marine_science_addict

marine_science_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a headache... or so what I have done is I have defrosted all three type of food I feed my fish (mysis shrimp, mega marine, and mega algae, mixed it all together and redistributed into the treys they came in and re froze it. This way one cube has everything in it. Right now I am not running my protein skimmer and have removed my carbon bags so they will not interfere with the ich treatment I am currently running. I'm not sure if I should cut back my light time or not, it's about 14 hours of blue and white light with moon light for 10 hours. I did not put the phytoplankton in my tank nor the oyster feast. I will try to just spot feed my clam only a tiny bit of each because he needs to get better, I will feed 1/2 a cube of food twice a week, and continue to do water changes every week to bring down my nitrate levels. I hope this works. I really wanna try not to put in any chemical to remove the algae and or phosphates. Anything I am missing or should change?

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a full cube every other day and use a net to put it in that way when you fish are done you can pull out the excess. I would only run your day lights 8 to 10 hours a day 14 Is to much. And if I was you I would use some seachem phosguard it doesn't have any ill effects and will help you get things back to normal so you can enjoy you tank. It's hard to deal with this when you are new to the hobby but it's a lot easier with the right advice and patience nothing in this hobby is fast so just take your time and relax thing will get better. Also keep up with your water changes it helps a ton.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish will go in the net to eat. And moon lights are fine as long as the are not super bright, if they are run them for a couple of hours after your daylights and then turn them off so the tank is black for the night it will also reduce the stress of your fish by allowing the to settle down and sleep.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don't trust a phosphate test kit if you have algae or anything else the is absorbing phosphates in you tank they won't give you a proper read out.

OP
OP
marine_science_addict

marine_science_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in both my tanks that happened. Makes sense though. I have another 60 gal tank that has had no issues. It wasn't until we upgraded that it feels like we entered a whole new world!

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should make a build post showing your system, Filtration, lighting, and everything so people can see what you got

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back