I have a question about velvet

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends I need an advice. I’m new in all of this reefing stuff so:
On Friday, I added a new coral to the tank. On Sunday, I noticed the first signs of velvet on clown fish and I didn’t lnow what it was. by Tuesday morning clown was already dead. Subsequently, I found velvet on other fish, and it turned into a disaster. Is it possible that I brought this with the coral? Could a parasite reproduce within a day and a half to become visible on the fish?
Also, there were elevated levels of PO4 and NO3. Is it more likely that the disease broke out due to poor water conditions? Or could it be because of the coral? Or combination?
How can velvet come in my tank?

Thank you all

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last fish introduced and were they quarantined? Do you have any pics/videos of the fish? How were they acting? Typically with velvet you don’t ever see the white dusting, but behavioral signs like fast breathing (the most common symptom) and swimming into the flow.
Coral can certainly bring it in while it’s in its benthic stage, though you’re more likely to see it come in from a fish.
Often you can see infection set in when a fish is stressed, as the immune system becomes compromised, but velvet doesn’t really care. It’s deadly and will infect even healthy fish.

OP
OP
B

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last fish was added last Tuesday, 14.11, and was not in quarantine.

After the death of the clown fish, I noticed rapid breathing in some other fish, and they also tried to scratch against rocks and wanted the shrimp to clean them. Then I noticed white flakes like sugar on some of them and 2 days after they are dead.

The fish I brought in on Tuesday looks absolutely healthy and chilling while some other fish are already dead.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello friends I need an advice. I’m new in all of this reefing stuff so:
On Friday, I added a new coral to the tank. On Sunday, I noticed the first signs of velvet on clown fish and I didn’t lnow what it was. by Tuesday morning clown was already dead. Subsequently, I found velvet on other fish, and it turned into a disaster. Is it possible that I brought this with the coral? Could a parasite reproduce within a day and a half to become visible on the fish?
Also, there were elevated levels of PO4 and NO3. Is it more likely that the disease broke out due to poor water conditions? Or could it be because of the coral? Or combination?
How can velvet come in my tank?

Thank you all
Clowns rarely if eve get velvet due to their heavy slime coating and could be either beginning of brooklynella disease or secondary bacterial issue but will be hard to assess without pics and even video under white light intensity.

OP
OP
B

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns rarely if eve get velvet due to their heavy slime coating and could be either beginning of brooklynella disease or secondary bacterial issue but will be hard to assess without pics and even video under white light intensity.
Ok so if it was brook is the source of the problem the fish I added on Tuesday or can it be a coral? The fish I added was sixline wrasse

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so if it was brook is the source of the problem the fish I added on Tuesday or can it be a coral? The fish I added was sixline wrasse
No coral but either another fish or infection from this disease which is progressive

OP
OP
B

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No coral but either another fish or infection from this disease which is progressive
Ok so could you please tell me the timeline approximately? I put a host fish in a tank I see no symptoms on this fish. How long could it possibly take to infect other fish to the point I can see the symptoms?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so could you please tell me the timeline approximately? I put a host fish in a tank I see no symptoms on this fish. How long could it possibly take to infect other fish to the point I can see the symptoms?
If nothing in 4-6 weeks, likely your risk is minimal/minimized

OP
OP
B

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing in 4-6 weeks, likely your risk is minimal/minimized
No no you don’t understand what I’m asking. I need to know the development of this disease. How long does it take for the disease to develop when I put an infected fish in the tank. I need some timeframe, how many days it takes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no you don’t understand what I’m asking. I need to know the development of this disease. How long does it take for the disease to develop when I put an infected fish in the tank. I need some timeframe, how many days it takes.

The full life cycle for Amyloodinium (velvet) can be as short as 3 days, but is usually a bit longer, say 5 or 6 days.

It's complicated by having the organism being at different life stages at the same time.

Are you certain the fish have/had velvet? We see a lot of misidentification of this disease.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full life cycle for Amyloodinium (velvet) can be as short as 3 days, but is usually a bit longer, say 5 or 6 days.

It's complicated by having the organism being at different life stages at the same time.

Are you certain the fish have/had velvet? We see a lot of misidentification of this disease.

Jay
I think it’s brook cause it killed my clowns first. So how long does it take to develop disease when I put infected fish in?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s brook cause it killed my clowns first. So how long does it take to develop disease when I put infected fish in?

Brooklynella has a direct life cycle, it has no "resting stage" like velvet and ich does. However, the speed at which it develops is governed by other factors, none of which can be factored in: water temperature, tank crowding, fish's immunity, etc. Generally, I see Brooklynella killing fish in 3 to 5 days from the onset of symptoms if not treated.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BAMBIBAMBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella has a direct life cycle, it has no "resting stage" like velvet and ich does. However, the speed at which it develops is governed by other factors, none of which can be factored in: water temperature, tank crowding, fish's immunity, etc. Generally, I see Brooklynella killing fish in 3 to 5 days from the onset of symptoms if not treated.

Jay
Thank you for info and the source of brooklynella can only be infected fish added in a tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for info and the source of brooklynella can only be infected fish added in a tank?

Well, that is the most common way it get into a tank. However, anything "wet" can transfer some disease propagules, so it is possible to introduce Brooklynella from tank to tank by moving tank tools, wet hands, some water, etc.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back