i have a spiny box puffer in qt looks infested and copper in not working on him

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All copper is toxic to pufferfish. You are killing him. Let me go see what they usually do for them. All he needs to be in a tank by himself and you need to try to feed him clam on half shell , shrimp. This has to be ich not velvet as they all would be dead by the end of the day. Our puffer got one case of ich. I bottle a bottle of garlic and soaked her food in it for a week. Never has gotten ich again. You have to boost their foods with selcon and vitamins.

Where did you read that copper is toxic to them. I have never seen any issue with copper and puffers, particularly in retail copper systems.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you read that copper is toxic to them. I have never seen any issue with copper and puffers, particularly in retail copper systems.
Copper kills puffers. People can get lucky and say its not true but working in the public Aquarium industry with very qualified vets, leading consensus is that it will eventually do more damage than good over the course of an effective treatment.Sep 21, 2018 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/puffer-and-ich.461334/

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in raising fish for over 30 years and this was common knowledge. The Cupramine they say is safer as it is a different form of copper. Still a risk. You roll dice on any of the smooth-skinned fish .

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefcoloorado

Reefcoloorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody ? know i dosed a little bud more copper safe just don't want to over dose with these trash test kits should i take all the copper out and start over with copper power

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to steer people away from using copper with puffers and other scaleless fish because they are *so* touchy with copper. While it is *possible* to treat puffers with copper, it is also *difficult* to maintain the copper at a level which is sufficient to kill the parasites without endangering the puffer. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pufferdisfaqs.htm

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody ? know i dosed a little bud more copper safe just don't want to over dose with these trash test kits should i take all the copper out and start over with copper power
Read what I wrote on hyposalinity. In this hobby nothing is easy and usually a fix in the bottle is not going to always work or be the answer you need. Puffers are a special fish because they are without scales. Doing hypo can be as simple as a five-gallon bucket.

OP
OP
Reefcoloorado

Reefcoloorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm using copper safe witch is safe with most scaleless fish mostly for my lion fish and puffer i have cuparmine but was told not to use that but maby it is doing something bad to him he's been doing good for 2 months in copper and just yesterday he's likes this if i stop using copper won't the clown fish and lion fish just get infested again i guess i can set up a new qt system for the puffer with out copper but i don't know if it's gana do any help the copper has been working 100 since he's been perfectly healthy for 2 months and when i got him in the mail he already had ich if you see my other forum i posted about this guys on feb 7

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good i'm taking the coppper out maby that's the problem thanks
You still need to get the ich off this fish otherwise it will die. That is too many ichs. Hypo would do it quickly. All these fish should go to hypo and stay there for four weeks. Then raised back to marine very slowly. YOu work on feeding nutrition and care. You do not need a five gallon bucket convert this whole quarantine tank to hypo. I just thought if you wanted to separate the puffer from the other fish. Internet shows how to do hyposalinity.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm using copper safe witch is safe with most scaleless fish mostly for my lion fish and puffer i have cuparmine but was told not to use that but maby it is doing something bad to him he's been doing good for 2 months in copper and just yesterday he's likes this if i stop using copper won't the clown fish and lion fish just get infested again i guess i can set up a new qt system for the puffer with out copper but i don't know if it's gana do any help the copper has been working 100 since he's been perfectly healthy for 2 months and when i got him in the mail he already had ich if you see my other forum i posted about this guys on feb 7
Two months in copper. Copper no matter what form weakens fish immunity systems. No matter how much you quarantine ichs going to show up in DT. I have tangs too. I just work on good food, and give garlic. The fish can build up immunity to ich. I did add a in-tank UV and I run it if I see something for a few weeks between the hours of 2am and 9am. I was reading a science paper on ich and how it enters the water chain at night. I turn the UV off in the day. You might want to add a in-tank UV just to help out a little. Set it on low flow so they pass through slow enough to kill them. I bought this one off Amazon. Not expensive. We have immunity systems whether human or fish designed to take things like ich out. Let my fished immune systems work without all the hype in the bottles. Back in the day, I use to panic about everything on my fish. I tried this bottle, that bottle, and usually ended up the fish died. Here the UV that can be a great tool. I am fighting dinos right now and it is helping with those.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months in copper. Copper no matter what form weakens fish immunity systems. No matter how much you quarantine ichs going to show up in DT. I have tangs too. I just work on good food, and give garlic. The fish can build up immunity to ich. I did add a in-tank UV and I run it if I see something for a few weeks between the hours of 2am and 9am. I was reading a science paper on ich and how it enters the water chain at night. I turn the UV off in the day. You might want to add a in-tank UV just to help out a little. Set it on low flow so they pass through slow enough to kill them. I bought this one off Amazon. Not expensive. We have immunity systems whether human or fish designed to take things like ich out. Let my fished immune systems work without all the hype in the bottles. Back in the day, I use to panic about everything on my fish. I tried this bottle, that bottle, and usually ended up the fish died. Here the UV that can be a great tool. I am fighting dinos right now and it is helping with those.

Odyssea Clear 9 Submersible UV Filter Fish Tank 210 GPH Pump No Green Water 75G​

OP
OP
Reefcoloorado

Reefcoloorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a uv let me find it i'm going to do hypo and uv see if something gets better i'll keep you guys updated. i can take the e puffer out of this qt to a different tanks see if that helps but i doubt ut since he's so infected

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a uv let me find it i'm going to do hypo and uv see if something gets better i'll keep you guys updated. i can take the e puffer out of this qt to a different tanks see if that helps but i doubt ut since he's so infected
He is really bad. This one needs hypo so they will pop and die. What a relief for this little guy. Think all your fleas fall dead.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All copper is toxic to pufferfish. You are killing him. Let me go see what they usually do for them. All he needs to be in a tank by himself and you need to try to feed him clam on half shell , shrimp. This has to be ich not velvet as they all would be dead by the end of the day. Our puffer got one case of ich. I bottle a bottle of garlic and soaked her food in it for a week. Never has gotten ich again. You have to boost their foods with selcon and vitamins.
Just to chime in - coppersafe is fine with this group of fish if done properly.

Jay

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is really bad. This one needs hypo so they will pop and die. What a relief for this little guy. Think all your fleas fall dead.
Go easy. Hypo is the easy part putting them back to marine they say go slow and gentle. Getting them back to marine they need time to slowly come up. Just like what divers have to do.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to chime in - coppersafe is fine with this group of fish if done properly.

Jay
still, if you research no matter it is still a roll of the dice. Also this fish needs to get these things dead pretty quick. It has been in this copper for two months. It looks like it is going down fast.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of posts here - but the spiny boxfish clearly has ich. Coppersafe will work, so will hyposalinity. You need to get the coppersafe up to 2.5 ppm. If your test kit won't read that high, that is an issue. You can try taking a cup of tank water and add a cup of non-copper treated saltwater to it. Then, test that and multiply by 2 to get the actual copper level.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back