I keep dosing phosphates but they keep disappearing!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miami Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Wow. I AM surprised. What do you think about the clam theory?

All calcifying organisms and abiotic precipitation take up phosphate into the calcium carbonate. Does the aragonite in a clam shell take up more than a similar amount in a coral? I do not have reason to think so, but I do not know for sure.
 
All calcifying organisms and abiotic precipitation take up phosphate into the calcium carbonate. Does the aragonite in a clam shell take up more than a similar amount in a coral? I do not have reason to think so, but I do not know for sure.
I’m not seeing much new shell growth on the maxima clam though.

And I would suspect nitrates and phosphates to be taken in equal ratios.
 
Today’s testing:

Nitrates 5.5ppm
Phosphates: 0.08ppm-0.12ppm (this was after dosing 15mL)

It seems like nitrates are just staying the same while phosphates are dropping quickly.

I am dosing 5mL of soda ash and calcium chloride daily to maintain 8dkh, and I’m getting good coralline growth, so there has to be consumption, but maybe the rocks are just absorbing a lot of the phosphates?
 
I’m not seeing much new shell growth on the maxima clam though.

And I would suspect nitrates and phosphates to be taken in equal ratios.

Except in the shell.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new