I keep dosing phosphates but they keep disappearing!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miami Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Wow. I AM surprised. What do you think about the clam theory?

All calcifying organisms and abiotic precipitation take up phosphate into the calcium carbonate. Does the aragonite in a clam shell take up more than a similar amount in a coral? I do not have reason to think so, but I do not know for sure.
 
All calcifying organisms and abiotic precipitation take up phosphate into the calcium carbonate. Does the aragonite in a clam shell take up more than a similar amount in a coral? I do not have reason to think so, but I do not know for sure.
I’m not seeing much new shell growth on the maxima clam though.

And I would suspect nitrates and phosphates to be taken in equal ratios.
 
Today’s testing:

Nitrates 5.5ppm
Phosphates: 0.08ppm-0.12ppm (this was after dosing 15mL)

It seems like nitrates are just staying the same while phosphates are dropping quickly.

I am dosing 5mL of soda ash and calcium chloride daily to maintain 8dkh, and I’m getting good coralline growth, so there has to be consumption, but maybe the rocks are just absorbing a lot of the phosphates?
 
I’m not seeing much new shell growth on the maxima clam though.

And I would suspect nitrates and phosphates to be taken in equal ratios.

Except in the shell.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new