Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
short and sweet heres a video must have let something slip into display and i got the nastys, just need help with which one since i caught it early fish arnt showing much signs yet. https://youtube.com/shorts/kvzaC0RiuD8?feature=share https://youtube.com/shorts/jqtVLHPpoKk?feature=share also anyone know whats the best copper to treat dogface puffers with? gonna strip this tank down in a bit and get that superrrrrrrrr fun 6 weeks going today.
looks like loose nori floating around. As for puffer, safest would be chloroquine phosphate but you can also use can safely use copper power or Coppesafe at therapeutic level 2.0 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless if other fish show signs (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like loose nori floating around. As for puffer, safest would be chloroquine phosphate but you can also use can safely use copper power or Coppesafe at therapeutic level 2.0 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless if other fish show signs (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
My sailfin decided to destroy nori as I started video, I’m gonna reply with a better video he def has white spots on his fin of some kind and some on hippos body and sailfin body aswell

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clearer video will help a bunch. I don't see anything on these fish other than they are a bit fat.

jay

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they look fine to me. Just feed a little heavy keep em happy and they should be fine

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clearer video will help a bunch. I don't see anything on these fish other than they are a bit fat.

jay
https://youtube.com/shorts/-L60cO7yED4?feature=share
2AE636CA-DF72-47B4-90F1-D877FE96C5C8.jpeg

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see in the video my water has a good bit of diatoms in it, but the sailfin is breathing extremely labored so is my melanarus and damsels

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fat in a bad way?
They are pretty hefty (grin). With younger fish it isn’t much of an issue, but as the fish mature they will develop fatty liver disease.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see in the video my water has a good bit of diatoms in it, but the sailfin is breathing extremely labored so is my melanarus and damsels
Yes - the rapid breathing is an issue. First thing to do is ensure there is really good aeration in the tank. Then, is the rapid breathing a recent symptom? Did it build gradually or all of a sudden? What are your water quality measurements?
If this is the gill disease velvet, you’ll need to get the fish started on a copper treatment right away.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the rapid breathing is an issue. First thing to do is ensure there is really good aeration in the tank. Then, is the rapid breathing a recent symptom? Did it build gradually or all of a sudden? What are your water quality measurements?
If this is the gill disease velvet, you’ll need to get the fish started on a copper treatment right away.
Jay
Fast breathing has been a thing for 2 weeks+ Ammonia is zero ph 8.1 nitrate 35

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast breathing has been a thing for 2 weeks+ Ammonia is zero ph 8.1 nitrate 35
That rules out velvet, the fish would have been be dead in a few days. If aeration is good, then the next go to diagnosis would be gill flukes. That can be treated with prazipro.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rules out velvet, the fish would have been be dead in a few days. If aeration is good, then the next go to diagnosis would be gill flukes. That can be treated with prazipro.
Jay
I’ve already done three weeks of prazipro dosing every day on Sunday after a water change just finished it four days ago

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already done three weeks of prazipro dosing every day on Sunday after a water change just finished it four days ago
Ok, I thought I recognized your screen name - I’m juggling dozens of cases, I can’t go back and find that though.
There really aren’t a lot of other causes of rapid breathing….bacterial gill disease is one possibility.
Just to confirm - tank temperature is less than 80 degrees and there is good aeration?
Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I thought I recognized your screen name - I’m juggling dozens of cases, I can’t go back and find that though.
There really aren’t a lot of other causes of rapid breathing….bacterial gill disease is one possibility.
Just to confirm - tank temperature is less than 80 degrees and there is good aeration?
Jay
oh my goodness my tank is at 87 F. wow if thats what is causing this super fast breathing then my fish must be troopers to be surviving this. possibly could be a heater malfunction, ive noticed it doesnt turn off anymore. gonna trash it tomorrow if the breathing stops.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my goodness my tank is at 87 F. wow if thats what is causing this super fast breathing then my fish must be troopers to be surviving this. possibly could be a heater malfunction, ive noticed it doesnt turn off anymore. gonna trash it tomorrow if the breathing stops.
@Jay Hemdal how long would elevated breathing from high temps take to return to normal after the temp goes down to mid 70s, once temp reaches 77 or so if fish is still breathing heavy can I rule out that being the cause?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trash that heater and buy 2 new heaters and a temperature controller. Inkbird makes a pretty reasonably price temp controller and will save you from this happening again. If temperature swings out of the normal range you will hear a pretty loud alarm go off

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trash that heater and buy 2 new heaters and a temperature controller. Inkbird makes a pretty reasonably price temp controller and will save you from this happening again. If temperature swings out of the normal range you will hear a pretty loud alarm go off
Actually spoke to my fiancé about it and we are just gonna heat the house to 76. Feel like that would be a bit safer.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually spoke to my fiancé about it and we are just gonna heat the house to 76. Feel like that would be a bit safer.
Also wanna add since I started my skimmer up again no spots on fish anymore, just labored breathing from damsels and sailfin….makes me wonder if I really even have a parasite or if it’s temp related Bc I have a the diva of the sea (hippo tang) who’s breathing is normal and no spots at all not even ich….which I find hard to believe if it was a parasite I feel as if she would have it worse before anyone else

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back