i let something slip, sadly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal how long would elevated breathing from high temps take to return to normal after the temp goes down to mid 70s, once temp reaches 77 or so if fish is still breathing heavy can I rule out that being the cause?
Temperature has essentially a linear effect on respiration. I don’t have my charts handy, but I would not expect more than a 20% drop in the rate from 87 to 80. That change should be rapid, n a few hours.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve already done three weeks of prazipro dosing every day on Sunday after a water change just finished it four days ago
You dosed daily or once a week ?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosed daily or once a week ?
I dosed it every Sunday for three weeks, read online it takes 24 hours for the prazi to kill the flukes and a week for the eggs to hatch, just did water changes in between each dose and then dosed again after running skimmer for 6ish hours.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dosed it every Sunday for three weeks, read online it takes 24 hours for the prazi to kill the flukes and a week for the eggs to hatch, just did water changes in between each dose and then dosed again after running skimmer for 6ish hours.
So you added prazi each day?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature has essentially a linear effect on respiration. I don’t have my charts handy, but I would not expect more than a 20% drop in the rate from 87 to 80. That change should be rapid, n a few hours.
Jay
Okay so once the temp drops down to around 75 if it’s still rapid breathing I can rule out the temp being the cause? they are not showing any visible signs of white spot or velvet today either, just the rapid breathing is the only sign I am seeing, I’m gonna run some carbon for a few days and if I lose a fish (have not yet) I have 7 qt totes ready and have ordered copper safe for the puffer and butterfly (don’t have $200 to throw at CP and read copper safe is best for puffers) with a Hanna checker and will just fresh water dip all fish before entering qt and slam copper to therapudic over 2 days. Could fresh water dipping the sailfin and seeing if it provides relief lead me to a answer possibly?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you added prazi each day?
Also do you have experience with dogface puffers and butterfly fish and copper? Kinda curious how I should approach them with copper….wondering if daily freshwater dips and ramping it slowly over a week to therapudic would be better for them as a alternative to slamming copper super quick to provide relief and give them a better chance at surviving it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also do you have experience with dogface puffers and butterfly fish and copper? Kinda curious how I should approach them with copper….wondering if daily freshwater dips and ramping it slowly over a week to therapudic would be better for them as a alternative to slamming copper super quick to provide relief and give them a better chance at surviving it
Still curious if you were adding prazi Pro daily??
regarding puffers/butterflies and copper, Im more comfortable with copper power or coppersafe but also suggest going with treatment level 2.00 versus 2.5 and monitoring water quality with reliable test kits and adding aeration during treatment. YOU DONT WANT TO RAMP COPPER BUT GET TO TREATMENT LEVEL IN 24-36 hrs.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding puffers/butterflies and copper, Im more comfortable with copper power or coppersafe but also suggest going with treatment level 2.00 versus 2.5 and monitoring water quality with reliable test kits and adding aeration during treatment. YOU DONT WANT TO RAMP COPPER BUT GET TO TREATMENT LEVEL IN 24-36 hrs.
Okay and no I did not dose prazipro every day for three weeks I dosed prazi pro three times total only on the three sundays within those three weeks, so Monday-Saturday no prazipro was added at all and on Sunday I dosed 24 ml for 90 gallons of water then repeated that two more times for a total of three doses over three weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so once the temp drops down to around 75 if it’s still rapid breathing I can rule out the temp being the cause? they are not showing any visible signs of white spot or velvet today either, just the rapid breathing is the only sign I am seeing, I’m gonna run some carbon for a few days and if I lose a fish (have not yet) I have 7 qt totes ready and have ordered copper safe for the puffer and butterfly (don’t have $200 to throw at CP and read copper safe is best for puffers) with a Hanna checker and will just fresh water dip all fish before entering qt and slam copper to therapudic over 2 days. Could fresh water dipping the sailfin and seeing if it provides relief lead me to a answer possibly?
I don’t see a FW dip as being much help after running prazi.
I would get them into coppersafe at 2.5 ppm and see how they fare.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so could rinsing the ceramic bio beads in my sump and adding them to qt be a okay thing to do for the puffer and butterfly to have no ammonia or anything in the tank throughout treatment? I also have cycled sponge filters I use but I know they are messy so I can add cycled biomedia aswell if you think it would help.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a FW dip as being much help after running prazi.
I would get them into coppersafe at 2.5 ppm and see how they fare.
Jay
Will do. just gonna move everyone out to qt tanks with cycled sponge filters and get them to 2.4 within 2 days…. And leave them for 30 days in that and fallow the display for 6 weeks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
okay so could rinsing the ceramic bio beads in my sump and adding them to qt be a okay thing to do for the puffer and butterfly to have no ammonia or anything in the tank throughout treatment? I also have cycled sponge filters I use but I know they are messy so I can add cycled biomedia aswell if you think it would help.
sponges best especially if seeded

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I’m gonna be using cupramine on most of my fish and picked up coppersafe for the puffer and butterfly, after reviewing the charts I also see eels arnt to good in copper but mine has been through cupramine twice now so ima use cupramine on him since I know he can handle it decently well.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to clarify you are saying I should not ramp up over a few days for the puffer and butterfly but rather get it to 2.0 in 36 hours right? I’m gonna blindly trust you on this since you have not lead me in the wrong way before but it’s going against everything I’ve read even on here

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also just to clarify you are saying I should not ramp up over a few days for the puffer and butterfly but rather get it to 2.0 in 36 hours right? I’m gonna blindly trust you on this since you have not lead me in the wrong way before but it’s going against everything I’ve read even on here
Yes- Do not ramp. If you want a safety measure. you can do copper right away and Acclimate the fish in a clean container with the QT copper water for up to 30 min to build up the copper exposure prior to releasing them into quarantine

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- Do not ramp. If you want a safety measure. you can do copper right away and Acclimate the fish in a clean container with the QT copper water for up to 30 min to build up the copper exposure prior to releasing them into quarantine
All fish are out of main tank except a malanarus wrasse who went to bed early tonight in the sand bed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 19

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All fish are out of main tank except a malanarus wrasse who went to bed early tonight in the sand bed
They look comfy. Keep an eye on water quality

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back