I love free dollars in this hobby!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used my BRS points to get a free C02 scrubber, media, and Mr. Chili plush! I’m hoping it helps with my pH. Excited for it to come and BRS really has the best rewards system. I don’t want 10 cents off gas I want free reefing gear!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That wasn't free, lol. You spent a LOT of cash for those points. It's all factored in to the price.
I know lol nothing is free in life lol. But I’m not complaining. That’s marketing haha. But it did save me money because I was going to buy it anyway at my lfs.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wasn't free, lol. You spent a LOT of cash for those points. It's all factored in to the price.
I would argue that if the items you bought cost the same as another vendor who doesn’t offer rewards points then it was free.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue that if the items you bought cost the same as another vendor who doesn’t offer rewards points then it was free.
Still isn't free... But to each their own.

If the 'other' vendor offers it at a better price without the 'points', that's just a deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about 'getting a deal', but in the end it usually isn't when you get to the nuts and bolts of business. It's all factored into the cost somewhere. IME, the Costco of reefing (BRS) typically doesn't have the best prices, for a lot of things. Smaller online reef vendors tend to beat it, or the giant pig of a retailer that's Amazon (when common enough to find there).

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my BRS points to get a free C02 scrubber, media, and Mr. Chili plush! I’m hoping it helps with my pH. Excited for it to come and BRS really has the best rewards system. I don’t want 10 cents off gas I want free reefing gear!

Exactly.

I don't buy too much from BRS anymore. Their prices just keep rising higher and higher and the sales are getting harder and harder to find.

Take the Seneye Reef v6 for example.

Current prices including any Labor Day sales.

BRS price $219.99 plus $13.20 tax. free shipping.
total would be $233.19 to your door.
You would earn 219 reward points, good for $2.19 off your next order at BRS.

Aquacave price $186.15 no tax. free shipping.

They offer $5 off for first time orders, or just register for a new account and get the $5 in reward points.
apply it to this order dropping price to $181.15, still no tax and free shipping.
you would also earn 2198 points, good for $2.19 off your next order at Aquacave.

$233.19 - $181.15 = 52.04 difference in price.

BRS is $52.04 more expensive than Aquacave on this one item alone.

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make a budget if you're concerned about controlling spending which is a true solution vs relying on marketing tactics that just make you feel good. And guess why they want you to feel good...to spend even more money! They're the ones benefiting from the program...

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly.

I don't buy too much from BRS anymore. Their prices just keep rising higher and higher and the sales are getting harder and harder to find.

They offer $5 off for first time orders, or just register for a new account and get the $5 in reward points.
apply it to this order dropping price to $181.15, still no tax and free shipping.
you would also earn 2198 points, good for $2.19 off your next order at Aquacave.

Here’s the thing it depends on what it is. I do compare prices and their C02 scrubber is a lot cheaper. I find that for things I want personally it’s the same price everywhere but the BRS brands are cheaper just like a store brand would be.

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly.

Yep, you gotta shop around. I have found many things via Amazon which are significantly cheaper than BRS. Granted, I do shop at BRS (waiting on an order now), but I am also aware of other vendors.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s the thing it depends on what it is. I do compare prices and their C02 scrubber is a lot cheaper. I find that for things I want personally it’s the same price everywhere but the BRS brands are cheaper just like a store brand would be.
Just don't buy their CO2 media...MUCH cheaper on eBay.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still isn't free... But to each their own.

If the 'other' vendor offers it at a better price without the 'points', that's just a deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about 'getting a deal', but in the end it usually isn't when you get to the nuts and bolts of business. It's all factored into the cost somewhere. IME, the Costco of reefing (BRS) typically doesn't have the best prices, for a lot of things. Smaller online reef vendors tend to beat it, or the giant pig of a retailer that's Amazon (when common enough to find there).
I also can’t get a Mr. Chili plush anywhere else…I’m just saying lol! I do shop at other places and I compare prices but I find the things I want are cheaper on BRS or the same price everywhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just make a budget if you're concerned about controlling spending which is a true solution vs relying on marketing tactics that just make you feel good. And guess why they want you to feel good...to spend even more money! They're the ones benefiting from the program...
Yes like every other store with a rewards program and a budget is well non-existent lol. I went into this thinking I would spend x amount of money which went down the drain as soon as I got the stand lol. But I have stopped going to the fish store weekly and am saving money for Disney right now.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't buy their CO2 media...MUCH cheaper on eBay.
This.

The CO2 reactor was a BTDT, media is stupid expensive. I was buying soda lime from JorVet for a bit, I still have some left from the adventure and converted the reactor to using gfo as needed @ the moment.

PXL_20220901_211904560.jpg

Big turn off was how much I burned through media. I just learned to open the windows a bit at night during the summer and during the day in winter. Keeps the PH boosted and no one freezed or fried.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back