I need a fish identified

DiverDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gunna call BS on finding it in the Keys.... looks like a Starry Blenny. If you collected it in the Keys you collected it illegally.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% sure but it looks as if the rhino blenny is part of the
Paraclinus species.

I remember I saw a rhino blenny at @Joe Knows Reefs a couple months back and from what I can make out of your fish his head shape doesn't look the same to me. Rhinos have a more elongated pointy head, yours looks like the standard blenny shape. But again I can't really tell cause he's in the shadow. We will need some more pics for a perfect ID (says this in an attempted professional manner when I really just want to see more of the cute fish :p).

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a little ashamed of some of the responses you have gotten on this. R2R should be a friendly place to ask any question. I can't ID your fish, but I'm glad you shared a pic!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gunna call BS on finding it in the Keys.... looks like a Starry Blenny. If you collected it in the Keys you collected it illegally.
Where did you get this info?
I remember I saw a rhino blenny at @Joe Knows Reefs a couple months back and from what I can make out of your fish his head shape doesn't look the same to me. Rhinos have a more elongated pointy head, yours looks like the standard blenny shape. But again I can't really tell cause he's in the shadow. We will need some more pics for a perfect ID (says this in an attempted professional manner when I really just want to see more of the cute fish :p).
Paraclinus species do have a "pointy-ish" head, but the pic looks like it could have a pointy head. Wehen moving around the first couple of dorsal spines are taller than the rest of the dorsal.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a Blenny. Lawnmower or Starry. If you look closely you can just see his Left eye and the little cirri on his head. Had one in my 14g Biocube. Totally cleaned up my GHA. Unfortunately, I had to trade him to my LFS as he doubled in size in 8 months, and started beating up on my Peppermints, which he ultimately ate when they molted. Great personalities though, fun to watch. I've had a Blenny of one sort or another since my my early days, just for their personalities. My little Tail-spot is a kick to watch, especially when my female Ocellaris tries to mess with him. He'll give it right back to her. They don't take #### from anybody!

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure how people are thinking starry blenny or lawnmower blenny as the pointed head and dorsal spike rule those genera out automatically.

It's definitely a Paraclinus species but without better pics including the tail, it's difficult to pin down the exact species. It's not a rhino blenny, however, because the dorsal spike is more fan shaped as opposed to coming to a sharp point.

And to @DiverDavid, IDK why you call bs or think that it's illegal to collect fish in the keys. This is a fish that occurs in that area.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a better pic of its face, Aidan? I'm still not seeing any pointedness.. does it have a yellow tint on the edges of it's pectoral fins and caudal fin at all?

I did a little sifting through the paraclinus genus and didn't see anything that looked similar.. I'm very interested as to what it is if it's not a starry.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No completely black like I said he hides most of the time so if he is still alive which he probably is,I will try and get a better photo last time he was out he was in a bad spot so I couldnt get a good photo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back