I need a fish identified

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try adjusting the brightness on the image you originally posted. If I was at home, I'd do it for you, but unfortunately I am not. That may make it easier to identify.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go

20170622_144504.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some quick searching, and I think it may be Paraclinus nigripinnis. I wasn't sure at first, but after seeing the lightened image, I can see what appears to be the circle marking on the back dorsal fin. I think due to its age, it hasn't achieved the full adult colors yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=par...h=964#imgrc=9KkIZ5hSkrb3KM:&spf=1498162016318

I don't think you can conclude that it is P. nigripinnis without being able to see the rest of the posterior end including the tail because some species have more than one ocellus which could be hidden in that pic. Also, there is no basis for which to draw upon in terms of determining the age of the specimen. Fishes in the Paraclinus genus have quite variable coloration.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can conclude that it is P. nigripinnis without being able to see the rest of the posterior end including the tail because some species have more than one ocellus which could be hidden in that pic. Also, there is no basis for which to draw upon in terms of determining the age of the specimen. Fishes in the Paraclinus genus have quite variable coloration.

How many other species of Paraclinus have ocellus and are as widespread thru the area the OP collected this specimen?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other species of Paraclinus have ocellus and are as widespread thru the area the OP collected this specimen?

IDK why I thought there were more but yes there seems to be only one that could be in that range with more than one ocellus, P. barbatus, but I agree with you now that P. nigripinnis is closest.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Paraclinus sp. for sure. But, not sure the species. Could be P. nigripinnis. But also could be P. marmoratus. Need a better pic to see if there are more ocelli or not. In this pic, the tail is curved behind. If it's P. marmoratus, the other two ocelli could be out of view. The dorsal fin could be an identifier too, it is hard to see in the OP's pic. Both fish have overlapping ranges.

Great website: http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en/gallery/genus/1804

If your fish is indeed either fish, very cool fish indeed. Should be a lot of fun for ya.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came out today but he was under a rock so i couldn't get a photo. he kind of changes colors he is usually black but turns like a green tint sometimes, it may be do to light though.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came out today but he was under a rock so i couldn't get a photo. he kind of changes colors he is usually black but turns like a green tint sometimes, it may be do to light though.
They are very color variable depending on their surroungings.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my posting pic. THAT is a Starry Blenny. Looks just like ur pic, so I stand by my ID.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my posting pic. THAT is a Starry Blenny. Looks just like ur pic, so I stand by my ID.

@Oldsalt01 That is simply incorrect. Here's the original image with the body of the fish outlined in red along with the eye and pectoral fin. The dorsal spike and pointed head automatically rule out the entire genus which contains the Starry Blenny.

(Looks like I was off a little on the pectoral fin but it doesn't really matter for this sake)

20170620_235051_zpsxpgbtkkp.jpg

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I already looked at pics of a star blenny and it doesnt look like a star blenny.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man I know how you feel but the fish that i have has a pointy head and that one doesnt but I appreciate you trying to help.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Oldsalt01The dorsal spike and pointed head automatically rule out the entire genus which contains the Starry Blenny.

Not to mention the range of the starry blenny doesn't match the OPs collection site. Salarias ramosus, is from the Western Central Pacific, from the Philippines to northwestern Australia, according to FishBase. It is not found in South Florida. I guess it is possible that someone released one or more from an aquarium, but so far, I can't find any evidence that they have been found in the Caribbean or around Florida on the web. I'm not saying that it's impossible to find starry blennies in the Atlantic or Caribbean, but just that it's unlikely.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back