I need a job

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people do in areas with no work?! I've made a living off the tanks and stuff for a while now and its not getting me any more rich than if i flipped burgers, Mainly because of our areas lack of interest. When the coral rush is in season I make big $$$ but that's only in between summer and Christmas then from mid January to spring. Not exactly ideal considering I'm about to eat my own arm haha. I was doing well until my woman decided to go to dental school, so supporting that has really eaten my bank account.

I've tried supplementing income with eBay but that's more hassle than anything, especially when they charge you the percentages you should be profiting from, not to mention the ridiculousness of the whole eBay scenario.

So...I am trying to figure out an alternative method for income before I do eat my arm?

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People go get these things called jobs.

Pretty interesting concept, they work for other people so they can make a living.

Hahaha just messing around.

But seriously go fill out some applications...... maybe? Lol

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if ur into photography it's a good option.

Wedding u can make some great money, I've shoot a few wedding...and if u get good you can travel.
I've gone to Az la, sf, Santa Barbara the Dominican Republic...

Craigslist always has side jobs quick cash for easy stuff...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our town won't hire people with educations. Managers always say I'm over qualified, which to me seems like a good investment as an employer.
I can see it now, "small business owner takes over Long John Silvers and turns it into a reef store."
There is a local factory but you have to be related to someone and my family is everywhere but indiana haha. Chrysler will hire me but the application process is so hard to get through. They open the online app for 30 minutes and the first x people get on while everyone else is sol. I have a dad an a step dad who's union chiefs are both awaiting my luck of the draw to change, which my next chance is in October or September at the soonest.

If I had a camera that was better than a Sony cyber shot I would totally do photography, but that's not exactly a professional camera. Plus my girlfriend is 50x more photographically inclined than I am. I can draw like a photo printer though...if we had more of a tourist town that would be a good skill but people here are all bored and don't appreciate art so much as they appreciate their lawns....which there are more lawn services than gas stations.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and Craig'slist is not as prestigious as most places. Keep in mind I am nowhere near a PF changs and Starbucks is 40 minutes at least.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the over educated thing too many times.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you can't find a job because of education you either aren't looking hard enough or you're not looking in the right places.

I have moved many times, and most of the time I didn't have a job lined up before I moved. Within 2 weeks I always had a job in the new area I had moved to.

Now I do know that a lot of places won't hire extremely over qualified people but there are still plenty of places that will.

I have always left things off my resume depending on the job I was going for. Maybe try dumbing Down your resume if you're applying at a job where you will be flipping burgers.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they tell you that you are over-educated then prove them right and get rid of the education part of your resume. It's not lying if you remove something extra only if you add something false.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and Craig'slist is not as prestigious as most places. Keep in mind I am nowhere near a PF changs and Starbucks is 40 minutes at least.

Lol I've done some random jobs on there, but that's the nice thing with a military town retired vets always looking for young vets to help them...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm omitting skills? They never taught me that in business class. Lol.

Let me give you a rundown of the businesses we have:
Fast food: ljs, subway, McDonald's, BK, Hardee's- hires mostly highschool and old people
Stores: krogers grocery and a tiny Kmart shanty-rarely hiring
Gas stations: bp, citgo, mcclures- only hires females?!
Other- police station, bar (which is a drug only environment I am not going near), funeral home (family only), and pawn shops.

Now this town is so small that everyone is related that is from here...which I'm also not. So relatives get first pick, then friends, then criminals get favored over regular people because The probation department pretty much lines them up a job.

There are also the small business people like contractors and what not but they too hire the same way. Basically my Dad picked the worst place on earth to succeed in.

Oh yeah and there is a Pizza Hut, which I am banned from. I delivered pizza for over a year with a perfect record, fastest delivery in the town, fastest cook, dishwasher, boxer, whatever...it was pizza. Well the store managers kept getting fired over scandals (some good background checks right). On the 3rd manager we had an epic situation.

He was a retired (later found out to be fired) cop. He had kids and a wife. Well one day he threw a store party like most good managers do and it went out of control on his end. In fact i was there for 4 minutes before I decided this was ridiculous. He was trying to get everyone on drugs and do dirty things.. Even got people intoxicated and let them drive. Well I didn't agree with it and went home. The next day I was fired for not going to a mandatory meeting (the party). He fired me because he felt threatened that I would snitch on him. I left that up to the actual victims...he put my name on the unhireable list and before I had a chance to make it right with HIS boss (the DM) he had a stroke...very sad, as he was a great guy, but it really screwed up that job ever happening again.
I made over $500 a week delivering pizza...4 years ago. To this day I am still unhireable.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decide not to work for someone else and take the leap in starting something on your own. Seems like your area could use a few things.?. Take advantage of situations-you say starbucks is 40min away...everyone loves coffee.lol run with it and open a mobile coffee stand hut that sells corals on the side.lol

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to North Dakota. We have so many jobs up here people are coming from all over to get them. The oil boom has made ND one of the lowers unemployment rates of the country. You either need to be a slacker, drug addict, murderer, or very shady person to not get a job here. In Minot, ND I heard even MCD workers are getting paid $18.00 per hour to start as a line cook flipping burgers...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'm great at:
Saltwater
Writing
Problem solving
Music
Art
Sales
Building things
Following agendas
Locating things (people places lost contact lenses, whatever) it sounds weird but i have eagle vision. Not sure i could run a search business though...lol hey found your keys, $10 please.
Educating or instructing
Cooking (my food makes everyone drool, even when just talking about it)

Businesses I would enjoy running or have considered as long term goals:
Public aquarium-but not here
Restaurant or food cart (cart wouldn't be good for winter).
Full blown Pet store- closest one is 15 miles
Education center for marine aquariums/propagation farm
Audio studio- recording musicians, cartoon overdubbing, narrations, whatever.
Public music Venue- serves music, food, coffee, liquor, musical equipment, books, etc.

Food or the music venue would be the most logical, everyone eats and there are a lot of underground musicians. The animal involved ones would never make it here, no matter how awesome it was.

Or there's the online services which are a dime a dozen. . .

Why indiana why?!??

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to North Dakota. We have so many jobs up here people are coming from all over to get them. The oil boom has made ND one of the lowers unemployment rates of the country. You either need to be a slacker, drug addict, murderer, or very shady person to not get a job here. In Minot, ND I heard even MCD workers are getting paid $18.00 per hour to start as a line cook flipping burgers...

North Dakota is still a state?! Lol.
$18/hr?! Whaaaaaaaaaat?! What's the cost f living up there?! And does Canada leak?
I'm from Idaho...if I move its going to be to Boise...I have family there and I love it.

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On my way. Lol

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i am going to set my recording studio up and give that a whirl. I already have all the gear to start a pink Floyd cover band. I'll keep you posted if I chew into my fingers

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gotta get creative when there are few options, if any lol. This is something I can start up for basically free, and I'm actually almost done hooking up stuff. Its worth a shot I guess?!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back