I need a new skimmer pump.

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a new skimmer pump- the current one isn't exactly giving me the results I'd like... Anybody have a recommendation for a cheap pump I could connect to 3/4" or 1/2" flexible tubing for a skimmer? All the needle wheel pumps are super expensive...

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The needle wheel is what makes for fine bubbles, not sure how to get around that
I'm totally fine getting a needle wheel impeller, as long as it's a reasonable price- the ones I found are like $120+. Just looking for the cheapest option that's not total garbage.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce PSK. Tunze Hydrofoamer. Both are good skimmer pump. Really focus and get one to match the GPH and all of that or even the best skimmer pump will not perform well.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce PSK. Tunze Hydrofoamer. Both are good skimmer pump. Really focus and get one to match the GPH and all of that or even the best skimmer pump will not perform well.
Also, those are both a bit out of my price range. At that point, I could just buy a new skimmer (which I am willing to do so long as it is in the range of $100-150, though I'm not sure I'll find a worthy skimmer in that price range. My system is about 70 gallons total (only 40 gallon display) if that helps with a determination

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda like pick your favorite color, So what skimmer do you have exactly?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda like pick your favorite color, So what skimmer do you have exactly?
It's a discontinued skimmer from current (can you believe it?) from around 2007- it's probably justifiable to upgrade... I was a toddler when it came out and I inherited it from a retiring hobbyist and thought it would be worth something. the shape and design isn't bad, but the pump is absolutely horrible.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old does not mean dead. New does not mean best. My skimmer is from the late 90’s and I wouldn’t trade it for anything on the market today, except an MRC skimmer. So just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it isn’t worth saving. You’d probably be better off investing the money in a quality pump for your old skimmer than buying a whole new skimmer with another mediocre pump.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old does not mean dead. New does not mean best. My skimmer is from the late 90’s and I wouldn’t trade it for anything on the market today, except an MRC skimmer. So just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it isn’t worth saving. You’d probably be better off investing the money in a quality pump for your old skimmer than buying a whole new skimmer with another mediocre pump.
Very true- for me, if I'm going to spend $120 on a quality pump though, but could get a whole new protein skimmer with a fairly good pump for $160, I think it's a reasonable jump. I was trying to find a cheaper pump that would make it worth it to keep my current skimmer, but I'm not having too much luck

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're happy with your current skimmer replace it with a similar pump. If you are not happy then upgrade. I almost went through the exact same situation today.

The pump in my reef octopus diablo died. For the price of a new pump I could almost get a new skimmer, but then I thought about it. The skimmer is working great for the tank size it's running on it just needs a new pump. Well it turned out I had some old psk 600 pumps and managed to find one that's working, but even if I didn't I would have just bought a new pump. The actual acrylic skimmer body should last almost forever. I had changed the impeller on the old pump at least twice maybe 3 times in it's life. The electronics in the pump have finally gone though.

A quality pump in an older skimmer will generally last longer then a new skimmer with an average pump.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're happy with your current skimmer replace it with a similar pump. If you are not happy then upgrade. I almost went through the exact same situation today.

The pump in my reef octopus diablo died. For the price of a new pump I could almost get a new skimmer, but then I thought about it. The skimmer is working great for the tank size it's running on it just needs a new pump. Well it turned out I had some old psk 600 pumps and managed to find one that's working, but even if I didn't I would have just bought a new pump. The actual acrylic skimmer body should last almost forever. I had changed the impeller on the old pump at least twice maybe 3 times in it's life. The electronics in the pump have finally gone though.

A quality pump in an older skimmer will generally last longer then a new skimmer with an average pump.
I think I'm skewed towards getting a new skimmer- I don't love this one's design, it's pretty clunky, and there are some leaks I had to silicone seal- it's a bit of an eyesore. For me, I would happily replace the pump if it was somewhere in the ballpark of $50, like a cheap powerhead or something. In this case though, I don't think it's worth it for me. I guess the only way I could realize that is for somebody like you to ask! Thanks a bunch!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? If so how much room do you have? I would just get a new skimmer or a new used skimmer.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? If so how much room do you have? I would just get a new skimmer or a new used skimmer.
I started this thread- yes I have a sump- I probably have 2' for free height for a skimmer along with maybe a 9"x9" footprint available

Back