I need help with multiple things.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I walked into my fish room today and noticed my fish tank is doing OK. Although I have a few problems I need help with mostly all algae issues. Tank is a 65g marineland but the issue about it is that my rocks are somewhat dirty. There is cyano, two of my rocks have a white film over them, aiptasia :( and worst of all hair algae. Ive got multiple snails in there but they dont eat it thats for sure. There are 15 larger sized rocks not sure if it's too much or not. On top of this my hammer has been closed for a month now and I thought it was just branching but now its beginning to lose its color cant get pictures as I'm not home but I can tell it does not have long. Does anybody know what that could be? I have a high tank depth with Kessil a180s but the hammer is at the top of the tank can anybody help me out with these problems? Some of my snails and shrimp are always eaten by the wrasse although my snails have persevered there's about 15 of them. Ill put a picture of the tank in the thread so people can see certain placements.
@Reefer Matt @randomfishdude @vetteguy53081 #reefsquad
1716413702093.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will need a full rundown of your water chemistry to help out. Excess algae growth is more often than not due to an excess of nutrients in the water.

Temperature
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrate
Phosphate

What do you have for flow in the tank? Hard to tell from the pic. What livestock do you have? It looks quite empty, but overstocking can also cause buildup of nutrients.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will need a full rundown of your water chemistry to help out. Excess algae growth is more often than not due to an excess of nutrients in the water.

Temperature
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrate
Phosphate

What do you have for flow in the tank? Hard to tell from the pic. What livestock do you have? It looks quite empty, but overstocking can also cause buildup of nutrients.
I can get that eventually might take me a day but yes I can get that. I have two clowns a marble wrasse royal Gramma coral beauty and starry blenny. I plan on adding a bristletooth to get some movement in there and possibly one more if I can find something nice as well as many other corals. I should be able to get parameters hopefully by tomorrow.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get that eventually might take me a day but yes I can get that. I have two clowns a marble wrasse royal Gramma coral beauty and starry blenny. I plan on adding a bristletooth to get some movement in there and possibly one more if I can find something nice as well as many other corals. I should be able to get parameters hopefully by tomorrow.
ok let us know on water chemistry.

When I say flow, I mean what sort of powerheads do you have?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two fluval powerheads on each side of the tank facing each other upwards.
ok - I ask this because insufficient flow can also cause detritus to settle on rockwork which will decay into dissolved nutrients and exacerbate algae growth. You may want to double check the power and positioning of the pumps keeps the rockwork free of detritus as well.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok - I ask this because insufficient flow can also cause detritus to settle on rockwork which will decay into dissolved nutrients and exacerbate algae growth. You may want to double check the power and positioning of the pumps keeps the rockwork free of detritus as well.
Alright.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for filtration? Protein skimmer, filter cups, fleece roller, algae turf skimmer, refugium? What is your method of nutrient export? How much do you feed every day? Are you dosing anything?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for filtration? Protein skimmer, filter cups, fleece roller, algae turf skimmer, refugium? What is your method of nutrient export? How much do you feed every day? Are you dosing anything?
sadly I am only 14 years old.. cant control much considering money. My only nutrient export would be chemiblue and filter floss. I would like a fleece roller or algae turn skimmer recommendations?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's your baseline problem. You don't have a great way to get nutrients out of your tank, so they build up and become fuel for algae. Do you have a sump, or are you limited to a HOB filter?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's your baseline problem. You don't have a great way to get nutrients out of your tank, so they build up and become fuel for algae. Do you have a sump, or are you limited to a HOB filter?
Limited to HOB filter parents didnt like the idea of having a tank of dirty water below the stand. I want to do a sump though I think I would benifit from it much better but HOB is so easy. Ive never heard about a algae scrubber or filter roller etc. If you guys know a better way to do nutrition export please educate me. Im kind of a begginer/intermediate reefer even though I have been doing this for years now. Can I still add a skimmer or are rollers and scrubbers sump exclusive? What could I add to help with nutrient exports? I saw carbon dosing but I know I might need a skimmer to do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing might not be a bad idea here...

Though vinegar might be an easier sell. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
How should I go about that? The tanks water isnt all that dirty its just constant regrowth of literaly everything. managed but hard to do as football+school get in my way

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back