i need help with my clownfish like now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so in the past like 2 or so days, ive noticed my clownfish is resting on the bottom alot. but whenever i walk over to the tank he gets back up and starts begging for food. he eats fine btw. and today, i saw something on his fin. it wasnt like ich or anything, it kinda looked like a piece of debris was just stuck on his fin. i added a air pump just in case and i am going to do a 25% water change on the tank incase it is an ammonia issue (the person who came over might have overfed my tank). i dont have a test kit rn but the tank is around 76-78, it is a filtered 10 gallon with another fish in the tank being a small orchid dottyback. the clown and the dottyback are just waiting for their tank upgrade to be done. below should be videos showing the situation. the video with him swimming is to show the white debris piece on his side. the other video with him resting on the ground is to show what he looks like when im not there. he has never had any problems in the past btw and loves eating.
Hi! I read through all of the posts and finally found a video that would run on my phone (grin). The fish is still eating well? If so, I would say that it has lymphocystis and a deflated swim bladder. Bother can be done for either issue, but both can clear up on their own, and neither is usually fatal.
Jay

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just seems like a lazy clown to me. I have one that lays around on the sand and rocks all the time he’s been with me over 8 years now
HAHA THAT RESPONSE JUST LIGHTENED MY MOOD. maybe so he only gets moving when I come around so maybe he thinks I’m going to feed him so he gets up ig? But here’s the thing, sometimes he looks like he is “struggling” to swim up like he looks like he’s pushing upward and he stopped doing his normal up and down movement a lot.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I read through all of the posts and finally found a video that would run on my phone (grin). The fish is still eating well? If so, I would say that it has lymphocystis and a deflated swim bladder. Bother can be done for either issue, but both can clear up on their own, and neither is usually fatal.
Jay
Hello! So I crossed out lympho bc the white/gray thing I saw on him fell off while I wasn’t looking so I think it was just some debris from my HOB’s media. The swim bladder I think is still there tho. Just curious, what do you mean “bother can be done for either issue…”? Sorry I think I just misinterpreted it. Right now for the swim bladder I just raised the temp a little bit as I read that might be helpful, I added an air stone, and I’m planning to do a lot of water changes as of now. What do you think?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Jay means that you can't do much about either problem except wait them out or live with them. I'd hold off on doing extra water changes, just stick with your normal routine, and keep a watchful eye on the clownfish for any new or worsening symptoms. What temp do you usually keep your tank at?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I crossed out lympho bc the white/gray thing I saw on him fell off while I wasn’t looking so I think it was just some debris from my HOB’s media. The swim bladder I think is still there tho. Just curious, what do you mean “bother can be done for either issue…”? Sorry I think I just misinterpreted it. Right now for the swim bladder I just raised the temp a little bit as I read that might be helpful, I added an air stone, and I’m planning to do a lot of water changes as of now. What do you think?
Temperature change has no direct affect on swim bladder issues, and if it is caused by a bacterial infection, could make it worse. Best thing is to give the fish an optimum environment and see if it can either shake it off or live with it.
Jay

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Jay means that you can't do much about either problem except wait them out or live with them. I'd hold off on doing extra water changes, just stick with your normal routine, and keep a watchful eye on the clownfish for any new or worsening symptoms. What temp do you usually keep your tank at?
Ah ok, usually I did water changes every 2 weeks or so bc it is a light bioload but now I’m going to do it every week, if worsening symptoms do occur, what should I do abt it? And usually it’s around 82 (it’s always been like this and fish and corals have been fine) but I turned it up a bit to 84. I’m going to turn it down to abt 78 later on.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature change has no direct affect on swim bladder issues, and if it is caused by a bacterial infection, could make it worse. Best thing is to give the fish an optimum environment and see if it can either shake it off or live with it.
Jay
Oh rlly? I saw someone in nano reef comment that. If the fish lives with it but it gets worse, I read that euthanasia is next best option. Is this true?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh rlly? I saw someone in nano reef comment that. If the fish lives with it but it gets worse, I read that euthanasia is next best option. Is this true?
Yes, euthanasia isn’t always an option for issues that don’t have a good treatment option. As long as the fish is feeding well, I don’t think that you need to go that route though.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back