I Need Help

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I messed up, brought a new fish home and put it in the display, it now aperes to have ich 2 days latter, it had been removed and put in a tub with a heater and power head. Problem now is what do I do? This bucket is not a cycled aquarium and what about my display?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a quarantine tank, if possible.

A heater, a HOB filter, a bottle of bacteria, an ammonia badge . . . and a box to hold water.

If a fish with ich was in your display for two days, then all the fish in your display (are there other fish in your display?) undoubtedly have it as well. If they don't, they soon will. You'll need to remove any fish from the display, and treat all in either TTM (Tank Transfer Method), copper, or CP (Chloroquine Phosphate) for 30 days - but hold them in QT until your display has been free of fish for a total of 76 days. - Or investigate "ich management" (not appropriate for all fish).

~Bruce

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a quarantine tank, if possible.

A heater, a HOB filter, a bottle of bacteria, an ammonia badge . . . and a box to hold water.

If a fish with ich was in your display for two days, then all the fish in your display (are there other fish in your display?) undoubtedly have it as well. If they don't, they soon will. You'll need to remove any fish from the display, and treat all in either TTM (Tank Transfer Method), copper, or CP (Chloroquine Phosphate) for 30 days - but hold them in QT until your display has been free of fish for a total of 76 days. - Or investigate "ich management" (not appropriate for all fish).

~Bruce
Oh boy, So the fish that had ich is in a 5g tub with a heater and power head and a sponge from my sump currently. So I should take the fish all out and put them in that tub (4 total fish) and treat it for ich and leave the tank be? I have several crabs and a cleaner shrimp in the display as well. If I need to put all the fish in quarantine then I think I will need to go pick up a larger tub or something.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a larger tub (two, if you're doing TTM. Two of _everything_...) - or a tank, which would make observation easier - would be a great idea. Sump sponge is a great idea, too!

Crabs and shrimp (along with all other inverts) can stay in the display.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a larger tub (two, if you're doing TTM. Two of _everything_...) - or a tank, which would make observation easier - would be a great idea. Sump sponge is a great idea, too!

Crabs and shrimp (along with all other inverts) can stay in the display.

~Bruce
Ugh what a time for me to be stupid, I move in 4 weeks so this will be a pain in the butt if I have a tub or a tank....Ill see what I can get together but the TTM is out due to my circumstances.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one piece of rock in my display that has no coral on it that i can put in with the quarantine to help the cycle as the sponge that is in there is small and wont handle all my fish. Is this a good idea? Will I be able to put the rock back in the display after rinsing it at the end of treatment?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one piece of rock in my display that has no coral on it that i can put in with the quarantine to help the cycle as the sponge that is in there is small and wont handle all my fish. Is this a good idea? Will I be able to put the rock back in the display after rinsing it at the end of treatment?

If you are going to treat with copper having a rock in the QT is problematic because:
  1. It will absorb some of the copper, making it difficult to maintain a stable Cu level.
  2. Post QT, you would need to soak the rock using muriatic acid to remove any stored copper and make it "reef safe" again.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to treat with copper having a rock in the QT is problematic because:
  1. It will absorb some of the copper, making it difficult to maintain a stable Cu level.
  2. Post QT, you would need to soak the rock using muriatic acid to remove any stored copper and make it "reef safe" again.
Dang yeah im going copper route for this treatment so ill have to get some more sponge and some bacteria and do what i can to seed it.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth waiting to see if somehow the other fish dont get it?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth waiting to see if somehow the other fish dont get it?
It isn't a matter of if the fish get it or not. Ich is a parasite with a known lifecycle. Odds are very high that at least a few of them finished feeding, dropped off the fish, and are attached to your substrate and are reproducing. Even if the fish in the tank don't show symptoms because their immunity keeps the ich parasite in check, all it will take is one stressful event to cause the outbreak to get bad again.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't a matter of if the fish get it or not. Ich is a parasite with a known lifecycle. Odds are very high that at least a few of them finished feeding, dropped off the fish, and are attached to your substrate and are reproducing. Even if the fish in the tank don't show symptoms because their immunity keeps the ich parasite in check, all it will take is one stressful event to cause the outbreak to get bad again.
So then taking the fish out for the 76 days will let them die off?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn this sucks! Sorry to hear that. What kind of fish was it BTW?

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, So the fish that had ich is in a 5g tub with a heater and power head and a sponge from my sump currently. So I should take the fish all out and put them in that tub (4 total fish) and treat it for ich and leave the tank be? I have several crabs and a cleaner shrimp in the display as well. If I need to put all the fish in quarantine then I think I will need to go pick up a larger tub or something.

IMO ....everything has caught ick by now and all will probably soon perish, unless u have a fowlr and can treat the main tank. I have learned with fish, prosctiveness is key!...have a separate system that is totally up and running for qt. your tub w heater will probably cause more stress to the fish. just make this a lesson learned...have a qt properly setup somewhere and qt alll fish no matter the source for usually a month is recomended..

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO ....everything has caught ick by now and all will probably soon perish, unless u have a fowlr and can treat the main tank. I have learned with fish, prosctiveness is key!...have a separate system that is totally up and running for qt. your tub w heater will probably cause more stress to the fish. just make this a lesson learned...have a qt properly setup somewhere and qt alll fish no matter the source for usually a month is recomended..
Dude no offence here but way to be a bit of a buzz kill.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub Angel
That bites :(

If it makes you feel any better, I think my turbo knocked my powerhead out of alignment resulting in water being splashed out of the tank. Came home to a salinity of 1.024 from 1.026, this afternoon. Though, not quite the struggle you're dealing with.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has ich. Has been in there for probably close to a year, if not the year and a half its been up. I've lost one fish to it who was mercilessly bullied by my old sixline which caused the outbreak for that fish. Ich is definitely manageable. @Evan West, keep your water quality up, keep the fish well fed with high quality food, and keep them as happy and stress free as possible and ich will not be a problem. True, all it will take is a stressful event to compromise their immune system and cause an outbreak (ammonia spike, contiously low water quality, poor nutrition), but those are at the very least avoidable. Eradicating it is definitely a better choice, but managing it is a very real possibility.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That bites :(

If it makes you feel any better, I think my turbo knocked my powerhead out of alignment resulting in water being splashed out of the tank. Came home to a salinity of 1.024 from 1.026, this afternoon. Though, not quite the struggle you're dealing with.

The little dude is still going tho and eating in the QT tub so ive got hope. Gonna set up a 20g tonight with PVC for the fish to hide in and a sponge filter, all my fish will be going in there and getting treated with seachem cupramine for 30 days. Then they will have to just hang out in there while the tank sits for the rest of the 76 days.

Lol its all good i feel ya, my blennie likes to let himself get sucked to the overflow and while it doesn't block it enough to create a flood its enough to trigger the ATO in the sump when it doesn't need to be thus lowering my salinity.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crap phone pics but here is the long term hospital tank. All the pipe is siliconed in place and the black base for the sponge filter is also siliconed down. Tired to get sight lines broken up some so my gramma/clown/cherub doint bicker to much. My blennie will just do his own thing tho so not worried about him.
99218817b32758b19ec5bce31ca361a1.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back