I need some computer help!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R, is anyone here pretty knowledgable about computers?
I'm wanting to know if my laptop can run some specific software and hardware, but I don't know what most of the numbers mean haha.

This is the hardware on the laptop I have, which is a Toshiba satellite L750;
3446e04d45029c361e596a3e60cb11bc.png

This is the requirements for the hardware I'm wanting to use which is the HTC vive;
11c04887d182d59af1ca2fdb68476a75.png

I don't know enough about graphics cards or CPU to know what it all means.
I can't find hardware requirements for the software, but the software is purchased from the HTC store, so I assume if I can run the HTC, I can run the games too.

Thanks!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your computer's cpu has only 2 cores where the requirements cpu has 4 cores.... your computer won't be able to handle it...there is a possibility but it would lag because the cp wouldn't be able to handle the processing power the game requires.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R, is anyone here pretty knowledgable about computers?
I'm wanting to know if my laptop can run some specific software and hardware, but I don't know what most of the numbers mean haha.

This is the hardware on the laptop I have, which is a Toshiba satellite L750;
3446e04d45029c361e596a3e60cb11bc.png

This is the requirements for the hardware I'm wanting to use which is the HTC vive;
11c04887d182d59af1ca2fdb68476a75.png

I don't know enough about graphics cards or CPU to know what it all means.
I can't find hardware requirements for the software, but the software is purchased from the HTC store, so I assume if I can run the HTC, I can run the games too.

Thanks!

That description on the required graphic card is pretty intense. Since that card can do 4K and VR and it's a "minimum" requirement..

I wouldn't get whatever this is. It would lag a ton. My guess is you'd need a desktop computer and would probably need to at least upgrade the graphic card. Unless you got one already built for gaming.

P.s.
https://m.newegg.com/ProductList?keyword=Gtx+970

The IT guy at work has a VR gaming machine.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a lot more all around to run VR apps. You also have to keep in mind lots of times the "minimum requirements" are just that, minimums. It will run what you want, but it's not going to be the super awesome experience you were hoping for, there should be a "recommended requirements" which will get you the good experience...but for a price.

That being said, if you have Steam (you can download it for free if you don't), you can download a VR Readiness test (I forget exactly what it's called). It will test your hardware and it will tell you specifically what's lacking.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, that's not a bad computer you have.

It's not a bad computer. But it isn't a high end gaming machine either.

That's why I don't buy high end games on computer anymore. It's cheaper to buy the hardware in a console and just use that instead.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I guess I'd better start saving for a new computer as well as the VR. What computer would you guys recommend?
I'd love to build one, but not sure if I'm up to it :/

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I guess I'd better start saving for a new computer as well as the VR. What computer would you guys recommend?

Building one is not nearly as hard as it sounds. and the benefit is you can customize the parts and when you load windows (if that's what you choose) there is no bloatware. If you go to pcpartpicker.com they have "build guides" where they've put together all the parts and they typically will do a youtube video about it.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, building computers has been 1000x easier than maintaining a reef tank. I guess keep that in mind. Like reefing, it's a bit daunting at first but it's pretty easy once you get going.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, building computers has been 1000x easier than maintaining a reef tank. I guess keep that in mind. Like reefing, it's a bit daunting at first but it's pretty easy once you get going.
Yes, if you can read up and successfully maintain a reef tank, you can build a pc no problem. Almost all of the connections force you to plug the right items into the right receptacle or card slot.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built computers before, but that was at school almost 10 years ago [emoji23]
I'm assuming even though technology has changed a lot, it's still the basic idea? This plugs into that. Those plug into these. Screw this into that. Viola, you built a computer!

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you should go windows for video games. I only say that since basically all games can basically play on windows unlike Linux or Mac OS.

I'll definitely go with Windows. I haven't really used Mac or Linux so I'll stick with what I know :)
I know prices will probably vary quite a bit, but what sort of budget would you suggest aiming for? I'm not sure if I can do this for $1000 or if I'll need $2000+ or what. I'm only really wanting to upgrade for the sole purpose of VR. I'll be keeping my current laptop to use for practically everything else.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily get a really nice machine with $1000. Just concentrate on a good processor/motherboard and a good amount of fast RAM, buy all of your other parts as cheaply as you can (while still being quality parts), and then spend the rest of what's left over on an awesome graphics card.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily get a really nice machine with $1000. Just concentrate on a good processor/motherboard and a good amount of fast RAM, buy all of your other parts as cheaply as you can (while still being quality parts), and then spend the rest of what's left over on an awesome graphics card.

I agree with this, mostly. If money is not an issue, get a Solid State Hard Drive, I put 2 in this computer I just built and I definitely do not regret the purchase. They are super fast and you'll notice it from the first time you start the computer. On mine, I can push the power button and be logged in and doing whatever in about 10 seconds.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for the tips!
I may be back here soon with some questions about parts and whatnot.

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but as someone who is a dedicated PC gamer, that's nowhere near enough power to run VR at an acceptable framerate.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back