I only have Macbook's... Will this work with GHL?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years ago you had to do initial setup with a PC but then could use a OS X or iOS from that point forward. I do believe that has changed now but I am unsure the specifics of it. Someone else can chime in.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can run VMware or Parallels desktop is what ive always preferred due to the integration of being able to not have to have a windows desktop exactly, it can basically run windows apps in OSX. its Catalina friendly if you have updated already, there is a trial.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy Parallels - no crazy dual booting - no buying windows etc etc.

Want it gone? Just delete it - need it again? - just install it.

I can confirm for you that the latest version of Parallels running on a macbook pro works just fine to run GCC and connect to / manage GHL gear

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years ago you had to do initial setup with a PC but then could use a OS X or iOS from that point forward. I do believe that has changed now but I am unsure the specifics of it. Someone else can chime in.
You could use virtualization or dual boot on the mac.

Is there any reason why that computer I linked to won't work? It's super cheap and it would be nice to have something separate for the GHL system.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run bootcamp assistant on Mac. partition to windows.

I tried this and couldn’t get Windows to run. I spoke with several IT folks that had done so and all of them stated that trying to install from a USB failed them no matter how much hair they pulled out, but installing it from a disc worked fine. I don’t have a disc drive, sooo... I had to buy a new PC right after Black Friday deals were over.

I just thought I’d mention that challenge as you consider moving forward.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this and couldn’t get Windows to run. I spoke with several IT folks that had done so and all of them stated that trying to install from a USB failed them no matter how much hair they pulled out, but installing it from a disc worked fine. I don’t have a disc drive, sooo... I had to buy a new PC right after Black Friday deals were over.

I just thought I’d mention that challenge as you consider moving forward.

Did you just buy a surface or a full on windows computer? Does it matter what kind of computer/tablet it is? Or doe it just have to have Windows?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No windows computer is needed.
The initial setup can all be done on the app:

If the controller was picked up less than a couple months ago, no updates are necessary either. Even then if you wanted to have a windows computer as an alternate means of setting things up, you can get an RCA Windows tablet which runs for about $120.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just buy a surface or a full on windows computer? Does it matter what kind of computer/tablet it is? Or doe it just have to have Windows?

I was doing it for an accounting class that said Mac or PC was fine, but the software provided only worked for PC and, more importantly, the class files were only for PC.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really only need windows (either ran on a mac or a seperate pc) for updating firmware. Everything else can be done via the app or a web browser - and you’ll be probably using the later two anyway 99.999% the time. It is very easy to virtualize windows on a mac, so I’d rather buy coral or something that brings more pleasure than a computer for the money:) That said, the linked one will work, it’s just that you won’t be using it apart from that 2-3 times a year.

Edit: it’ll probably have to be docked into the keyboard for it to work.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone that uses the GHL IOS based APP and the windows based software. I prefer using the windows software. From the Windows based software you can do all the firmware updates. Also I prefer doing allot of work inside the Windows software over the APP. For me the APP is clunky and you have to bounce around to many screens. The windows interface has you set up where you can fit everything on a single screen if you need to.

Another key feature of the Windows software is backing up your system. If you can do it in the App I haven't figured it out yet.

I know people go on craigslist and buy an old Laptop for $30-50 bucks to use on their GHL equipment. No need for something new. Just get something that runs Windows 10.

FWIW, I leave my laptop in the cabinet where my GHL equipment is. I can power it up. Work on major changes and put it back.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a used surface pro first gen for pretty cheap now days. I keep on in my camera bag, i believe i paid under 150 bucks for it with the type cover, the 256gb will run standard windows 10 no problem. then you can mount it by your tank if you wanted to. i used to run my apex from one on my 34gal waterbox. I only say that one because it can run full version windows.

Back