I really wish....

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of agree - the problem is that mature reef tanks are very different than new ones - they're completely different environments - one is typically a net waste producer and the other a net consumer.

So often the advice from the guy with the gorgeous 300 gallon established tank - the advice that works great in his tank - is awful advice for the guy with his 6 month old newly established 50 gallon reef.

It's MUCH HARDER to keep a new reef than it is to keep an established one.
But you can't get to "mature" without going through "newly established". Seasoned reefers understand the different stages of reefing, it's the newer reefers that think it's all the same.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you can't get to "mature" without going through "newly established". Seasoned reefers understand the different stages of reefing, it's the newer reefers that think it's all the same.

Ahhh thanks for saying that for me :p ;Smuggrin

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do we have to be overly friendly, to a point its fake though? Or can someone give good solid advice and join?

You don’t even have to be friendly. Just don’t be rude. Not saying you are rude just clarifying.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit late to this party, but as more of a self described "noob" to sps than expert, I can understand and appreciate the intentions of this thread. Without the threads asking for help, there would be nothing to search for, I get it. But, probably more than 90% of the commonly asked questions asked today, the answer could be found with just a little internet searching. Problem is the good information gets drowned out by 100's(wanted to say 1,000's) of posts to the same question, which is further exacerbated by the 100's(again, really mean 1,000's,lol) of answers that are destined to lead someone to failure. Or a lot of money spent, then failure still. Which most could be avoided just by doing some research on some great info that's already out there, especially for new tanks, and instead, not wanting to do the leg work and immediately pop on a question on the forum, repeating the whole thing. I know my way around a tank, but in matters that I don't know 100% about, I'm more like how my parents taught me to be as a kid. Seen, but not heard. Soaking in information like a sponge.
I am proof of this pudding. My 1st attempt at a sps dominant tank just passed the first year mark. Everything recently took a turn for the worst, due to what I deemed from low nutrients in what has otherwise been a successful tank(to me anyway). Gathering good info from here and elsewhere, I was able to save my tank from completely crashing. Now had the steps I taken not shown improvement, trust me, the asking for help was coming, lol. But following the advice of those I felt actually knew what they were talking about, via internet query, quite possible saved the more than 40 corals I possess. It's still in recovery mode, so time will tell. So to all of you real sps "experts", Thank You !!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a quick thought, but isn't rehashing some topics the way the hobby advances anyway? I'm thinking that while the same questions may be asked, sometimes the answers to those questions evolve. I understand that to some people answering the same question again gets old (and to those people, I'd suggest not answering...if it isn't enjoyable, don't worry about it...someone else who is knowledgeable and who will enjoy the conversation can chime in and help), but in some ways, it's those continual rehashings that can sometimes lead to breakthroughs. ...and sometimes the common wisdom of the hobby evolves in such a way that the answer to that same old question actually gets a new take... Or am I way off?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the first part, disagree with the second.

There are a ton of seasoned reefers who don't have the capability to both internalize those lessons, and then teach them - so you get threads where a newbie is having issues with corals not doing well/algae/whatever, and has 1ppm phosphate and 150 ppm nitrate, and you've got old hands chiming in with "My 400g runs at 1ppm phosphate - so its clearly not that".Or "I run my tank at 16 dkh, so your alk definitely isn't the problem". Things that work in established tanks often lead to disaster in new tanks - and people with established tanks often give very well meaning advice without understanding that.

For instance - you have old hands saying stuff like "Oh, SPS won't survive in a tank less than a year old" when the truth is really that SPS do just fine in newer tanks as long as you cater to their needs - and the old hand is just assuming that their experience as a newbie is a reef truism, and not a result of them not understanding that new tanks have to be handled completely differently than old tanks, and the advice they were given - that now works on their established tank - was awful advice for a new tank.

@CollectOyster04 s tank is a good example of the transition from new tank to mature tank, and that swapover from net waste producer to net consumer - the rules of reefing completely change when the tank hits that point - and pretty much all the management of the tank changes - and its a tough part for a lot of people because so much of the advice that has worked for them no longer does - and everything they've learned - all those newbie lessons - aren't relevant.

Some people go through that paradigm shift and understand what happened - some go through it - and don't.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick thought, but isn't rehashing some topics the way the hobby advances anyway? I'm thinking that while the same questions may be asked, sometimes the answers to those questions evolve. I understand that to some people answering the same question again gets old (and to those people, I'd suggest not answering...if it isn't enjoyable, don't worry about it...someone else who is knowledgeable and who will enjoy the conversation can chime in and help), but in some ways, it's those continual rehashings that can sometimes lead to breakthroughs. ...and sometimes the common wisdom of the hobby evolves in such a way that the answer to that same old question actually gets a new take... Or am I way off?
Questions like
“Whats going on with my new WD”
First reply
“How stable is your alk”
Well...
2FB3FDB7-6B99-438D-9D08-6285241ACC14.png

Maybe it’s time for some new answers

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mods...Maybe there could be badges for qualified/specific areas of the hobby. Just a thought

See attached post. I suggested this exact same thing in March when asked what could make R2R better. It just ended with people seeming to argue with me. Lol.

Would be cool to have a PRO badge like SPS PRO or LPS PRO. When you clicked on their PRO badge then it would go to a page dedicated to their experience, etc and let them show off their tanks, etc.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See attached post. I suggested this exact same thing in March when asked what could make R2R better. It just ended with people seeming to argue with me. Lol. Would be cool to have a PRO badge like SPS PRO or LPS PRO. When you clicked on their PRO badge then it would go to a page dedicated to their experience, etc and let them show off their tanks, etc.

Can i have a zeovit badge hahaha :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i have a zeovit badge hahaha :)

There you go laughing at me again. LOL. Actually, yes that would be awesome for you!! Honestly when I hear Zeovit I automatically think of you. Hah

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See attached post. I suggested this exact same thing in March when asked what could make R2R better. It just ended with people seeming to argue with me. Lol.

Would be cool to have a PRO badge like SPS PRO or LPS PRO. When you clicked on their PRO badge then it would go to a page dedicated to their experience, etc and let them show off their tanks, etc.

I know the feeling

And I love that idea

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the first part, disagree with the second.

There are a ton of seasoned reefers who don't have the capability to both internalize those lessons, and then teach them - so you get threads where a newbie is having issues with corals not doing well/algae/whatever, and has 1ppm phosphate and 150 ppm nitrate, and you've got old hands chiming in with "My 400g runs at 1ppm phosphate - so its clearly not that".Or "I run my tank at 16 dkh, so your alk definitely isn't the problem". Things that work in established tanks often lead to disaster in new tanks - and people with established tanks often give very well meaning advice without understanding that.

For instance - you have old hands saying stuff like "Oh, SPS won't survive in a tank less than a year old" when the truth is really that SPS do just fine in newer tanks as long as you cater to their needs - and the old hand is just assuming that their experience as a newbie is a reef truism, and not a result of them not understanding that new tanks have to be handled completely differently than old tanks, and the advice they were given - that now works on their established tank - was awful advice for a new tank.

@CollectOyster04 s tank is a good example of the transition from new tank to mature tank, and that swapover from net waste producer to net consumer - the rules of reefing completely change when the tank hits that point - and pretty much all the management of the tank changes - and its a tough part for a lot of people because so much of the advice that has worked for them no longer does - and everything they've learned - all those newbie lessons - aren't relevant.

Some people go through that paradigm shift and understand what happened - some go through it - and don't.
So we judge the whole community based off of some stubborn ones? I think you and I have different definitions of seasoned, I think a seasoned reefer understands different stages (understands being the key word), has the experience solving problems, and has a proven track record(like the tank they keep). The seasoned reefer you described sounds a little cocky(yes they are out there too).

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And let me just say this in the most loving way possible. If you don’t like Reef2Reef then I really hate that you don’t but no one is making you stay. Either help make it better or use another forum. Complaining doesn’t help anyone. Don’t like something? Know a better way? Have a good idea? Tell us about it in a respectful way and let’s work together to implement some of these changes. Some of the best parts of R2R came from growing pains and the ideas of the community. Negativity breeds negativity. If you truly care about the community let’s work together to make it better!! I’ll do my best to take every idea into consideration and to implement the changes needed for the good of the community. Sound like a plan?
lol! With all the inflated egos in here I'm surprised you were able to take a breath to say that much, was thinking I was back in reef central for a bit there...

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we judge the whole community based off of some stubborn ones? I think you and I have different definitions of seasoned, I think a seasoned reefer understands different stages (understands being the key word), has the experience solving problems, and has a proven track record(like the tank they keep). The seasoned reefer you described sounds a little cocky(yes they are out there too).
Cocky???
Here????
No way

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see value in identifying the experts.

The expieriance I have from another hobby and another website related to that hobby is such a close parallel as it is here.
That site did have a member list avalible to paying members.
That list included the top of the class members by a star rating.
You could view the profile and understand who they are and what they know.

Worked great for a while but the experts were soon leaving.
They would sign in and be hit with 100s of messages.
That would have taken hours and hours of time to reply.
A lot of the membership thought it was useless as they never recieved a responce, and the experts had better things to do.

So it more or less failed and went back to how it was before.

Sorry to bring a negitive aspect but wanted to share the experience so maybe more thought could be put into the solution on the problem this thread is bringing up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back