OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet there is the main tool of Build Thread the OP is not using that would give new hobbyists and even season hobbyists a way to judge OP’s advice.

I just think before we start complaining about things that are not here, we should use the tools that are.
Thanks for the suggestion. Good luck with your rebuild.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like other online media platforms, the most popular answers will be upvoted, not the best. Lets hope that they are the same more than they are not.

I’m not sold on upvoting but we will give it a try in one or two forums to see how it goes and to see if it works before rolling it out to the entire forum. If it’s not working we won’t implement it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth a trial, for sure.

While I am no slave to likes or any kind of acknowledgement, I can write paragraphs to explain to people how anoxic bacteria are consuming the nitrate that they are adding and/or that aragonite is binding tons of the phosphate that they are adding and I will get one or two likes... but a photo of a run-of-the-mill coral that is clear and close-up will get ten or twenty. A photo is more important than actual knowledge. Perhaps we should covert our points into cartoons like The New Yorker. It is a crazy world... someone ought to sell tickets (another pop culture reference to see if Chaswood gets it).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

While I am no slave to likes or any kind of acknowledgement, I can write paragraphs to explain to people how anoxic bacteria are consuming the nitrate that they are adding and/or that aragonite is binding tons of the phosphate that they are adding and I will get one or two likes... but a photo of a run-of-the-mill coral that is clear and close-up will get ten or twenty. A photo is more important than actual knowledge. Perhaps we should covert our points into cartoons like The New Yorker. It is a crazy world... someone ought to sell tickets (another pop culture reference to see if Chaswood gets it).

Sadly this is true everywhere for any subject! If you're up for writing some good nuggets we can sticky them babies in a sps tips thread?

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang it. I know I’ve heard it but can’t place it. Give me a hint please

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet there is the main tool of Build Thread the OP is not using that would give new hobbyists and even season hobbyists a way to judge OP’s advice.

I just think before we start complaining about things that are not here, we should use the tools that are.

I don't see it as complaining. I see it as a good observation to try and make an area of our hobby that is seriously lacking better overall. If more hobbyist across the board are better equipped from the start then the better it will be for our hobby.

While I agree about the Build Thread, sometimes it doesn't apply though. Someone could have a lot of knowledge and experience but could be going through a new build. Their build thread might have one or two pages of basic info which wouldn't prove anything. Also, some people probably dont want to spend a great deal of time on a build thread to get one or two views every now and then. I should know, I am one of them ;)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I'd buy one! I did a quick tour to finish the remaining Cohen Brothers movies when the Pandemic started - I missed some like A Serious Man, Inside Llewan Davis and a few others). Raising Arizona, Millers Crossing and No Country and 1 a, b and c for me. Finish them if you have not seen them - all of those mother-scratchers are worth watching. Millers Crossing is probably #1 if somebody REALLY made me choose.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly this is true everywhere for any subject! If you're up for writing some good nuggets we can sticky them babies in a sps tips thread?

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing a picture of a tank proves nothing about skill. Whose to say it's your tank you posted? Or that you even manage your own tank and don't just pay someone else to manage your tank?

Like everything in life.. Use your brain, digest the info being sent your way to parse the bs from the useful information and move on.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I'd buy one! I did a quick tour to finish the remaining Cohen Brothers movies when the Pandemic started - I missed some like A Serious Man, Inside Llewan Davis and a few others). Raising Arizona, Millers Crossing and No Country and 1 a, b and c for me. Finish them if you have not seen them - all of those mother-scratchers are worth watching. Millers Crossing is probably #1 if somebody REALLY made me choose.
How have I never heard of miller’s crossing? I’ll have to check that out tonight. I really like o brother, where art thou? As well but it’s not for everybody. I guess I’m just a dapper dan man

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to understand the other side too especially for SPS.

There's a ton of new, casual, likely short term hobbyists trying to jump straight to fast growth and perfect colors.

And they often want advice about the best short cuts to take bc they don't want to hear that a lot of the experts think a yr at a time.

There's a huge amount of arrogance thrown at old timers and experts whenever their advice involves work and patience vs money and snake oil.
i absolutely get that and I'm by no means referring to those people. I'm sure the ones that i am referring to know whom they are and maybe will take a second before putting someone down or offering un necessary comments. That's all....

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see it as complaining. I see it as a good observation to try and make an area of our hobby that is seriously lacking better overall. If more hobbyist across the board are better equipped from the start then the better it will be for our hobby.

While I agree about the Build Thread, sometimes it doesn't apply though. Someone could have a lot of knowledge and experience but could be going through a new build. Their build thread might have one or two pages of basic info which wouldn't prove anything. Also, some people probably dont want to spend a great deal of time on a build thread to get one or two views every now and then. I should know, I am one of them ;)
Yeah, I didn’t think I was coming off as a complainer but I can see why others feel like that. I honestly would of never started the thread if I had known it was going to grow so many different legs. I never intended it to turn out that we need this or that. Just a community suggestion. I myself don’t have any issues with R2R or fellow hobbyists. I wouldn’t be glued to it for hours everyday if I did. I know I need to do a build thread and will get to that ASAP.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All very valid points.

I know I need to do a build thread and will get to that ASAP.
I hope you do because it's gonna be a fantastic read and help a lot of people I'm sure!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I need to do a build thread and will get to that ASAP.
Please do! I browse the sps forum but don’t reply to anything (I’m pretty sure; apologies if I’m one of the bad advice givers; feel free to correct me). I would love for you guys to share your tanks and how you run them. If you already have threads like this I’m sorry, I haven’t come across them. @bobby.w.hodges @Softhammer @Chaswood79

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can see how that would be frustrating, but people come to R2R for a wide variety of reasons. I hope that R2R's focus will always be expanding and sharing the knowledge of the hobby but it isn't the only thing that happens here. We have members that have gotten out of the hobby but keep up with friends who are still in it. We have some people that love the live sales (don't ask me how!?!?). Some people want to buy and trade corals. Some people want ideas for their next build or to see what the trends are in the hobby or see what new equipment is available.

R2R is a lot of things to a lot of people. It's hard to put a number on, but I suspect fewer than 5% of posts on any given day are people asking for or providing help. And that plays a large part on why photo's get more likes than a wall of text and why I feel the most technically correct answer might not be the highest rated if we go to an upvote system.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back