I really wish....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see how that would be frustrating, but people come to R2R for a wide variety of reasons. I hope that R2R's focus will always be expanding and sharing the knowledge of the hobby but it isn't the only thing that happens here. We have members that have gotten out of the hobby but keep up with friends who are still in it. We have some people that love the live sales (don't ask me how!?!?). Some people want to buy and trade corals. Some people want ideas for their next build or to see what the trends are in the hobby or see what new equipment is available.

R2R is a lot of things to a lot of people. It's hard to put a number on, but I suspect fewer than 5% of posts on any given day are people asking for or providing help. And that plays a large part on why photo's get more likes than a wall of text and why I feel the most technically correct answer might not be the highest rated if we go to an upvote system.

The cool thing about the upvote system is that when a member is going to create a new thread they will choose if they want it to be a regular thread, a question thread or a poll thread. If they choose question then the upvote will come into play for the best answer. There will be no upvoting in regular threads just those that notate from the beginning that they are looking for an answer. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Badges?? We don’t need no stinking badges”
(@jda ?)

This isn’t a “I think I’m best, I deserve a badge” thread.
Badges are definitely the worst way to judge a persons knowledge. I know I posted this earlier in the thread, but I have seen people argue with this guy about Alk/Calc dosing. Probably, in part, because he doesn't have any badges.
1597156765774-png.1726592

Still makes me chuckle. You never know who is on the other side of the keyboard.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Badges are definitely the worst way to judge a persons knowledge. I know I posted this earlier in the thread, but I have seen people argue with this guy about Alk/Calc dosing. Probably, in part, because he doesn't have any badges.

Still makes me chuckle. You never know who is on the other side of the keyboard.
Never heard of him

(I kid, I kid....I joke, I joke)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not frustrated and if you are watching, I am happy to help people without any emotion or recognition at all. I just don't need any. Other people are different.

In the end, competent is as competent does, not as they accumulate likes, post photos or otherwise are active.

I pay attention any time that Ed, Lasse, Dr. Holmes-Farley, Dr Mac and others post. Even if I end up not agreeing, I read and think...and think again.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Badges are definitely the worst way to judge a persons knowledge.

On the other end of the road you have people like me who have NO idea how or why the excellence badge has appeared under her name. IM NO EXPERT! and the only thing I do with excellence is spend too much money. I do try to be nice though so I’ll keep the hospitality badge :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other end of the road you have people like me who have NO idea how or why the excellence badge has appeared under her name. IM NO EXPERT! and the only thing I do with excellence is spend too much money. I do try to be nice though so I’ll keep the hospitality badge :)
The excellence badge has nothing to do with knowledge. It is R2R's way of showing appreciation for you being an excellent member in how you interact with the community.
The only badge that only currently exists as an endorsement of knowledge is the Expert Badge and very few people carry that one. To get an Expert badge you must be a recognized expert outside of the R2R community, with rare exceptions.

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should it be all or nothing, “expert” or not. Everyone has valuable experience and advice to give. I like the idea of progressive badges/banners. Are you an SPS noob with only 6 months of experience? Have you been keeping SPS for 5 years? Or have you been reefing for decades? Something like this would allow people to take advice with context. Are the opinions being giving by someone in the same boat as the person asking the question or is the advice coming from someone with a decade of experience who can set up a reef in their sleep? I think build threads are a great way to showcase your experience as a reefer but a badge could help when sifting through dozens of comments on a thread. I do agree with the basic point made by the OP though, I think you should only advise on something if you’ve had direct experience with it. I would never feel comfortable trying to help someone with a calcium reactor because I’ve never set one up. I feel like that should translate to all reefing topics. I’ve been watching this thread since the beginning and wasn’t sure if I wanted to comment but here’s my 2 cents.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cool thing about the upvote system is that when a member is going to create a new thread they will choose if they want it to be a regular thread, a question thread or a poll thread. If they choose question then the upvote will come into play for the best answer. There will be no upvoting in regular threads just those that notate from the beginning that they are looking for an answer. :)

Hey Rev, I tagged you and the Mods in a couple other threads with some good ideas for possible features to enhance R2R, I hope you don’t miss them :)

Not really related to the thread but it would be awesome if we could change the topic of polls in our threads. I've mentioned it before but It would be really nice as we evolve our build threads if we could change polls along with that so members can vote on a new decision or issue going on currently in the build...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with being able to edit topics after posts have been made is those posts may no longer be relevant or the nature of what was said in those posts might be viewed differently depending on the topic. In this case, being able to add additional polls and/or archive existing ones within a thread would be great.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am not a huge fan of most build threads since they are more often a way to show-off than to educate or teach. You all know the ones where people take pictures of the UPS person delivering their boxes and then stacking their new gear on the table (flossing), contemplating about blue or red PVC, and then never really getting around to reefing at much of a clip. I have no time for any of this. However, the Copps thread on RC is amazing and it is equal parts Copps being Copps and a way for everybody to learn.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that just photos or a build thread mean nothing to me. I get that build threads drive posts and interest, but much to Brew's point, there are a lot of reasons why people have them... so if having a build thread is a pre-req to being a bad-butt, then it might need a human reading to see what kind it is... the ones that want to show off how much they spent at BRS or the ones that are meant to help.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev, I tagged you and the Mods in a couple other threads with some good ideas for possible features to enhance R2R, I hope you don’t miss them :)

Not really related to the thread but it would be awesome if we could change the topic of polls in our threads. I've mentioned it before but It would be really nice as we evolve our build threads if we could change polls along with that so members can vote on a new decision or issue going on currently in the build...
haha this is not the least of the scope creep happening in this thread already, don't feel bad :) That's not a bad idea however. Build threads are great for problem solving inspiration. I've learned a ton of different approaches I hadn't been exposed to before while combing thru build threads. Polls are a nice way to ask for problem solving advice, assuming searches didn't yield any results. YMMV there too I guess.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am not a huge fan of most build threads since they are more often a way to show-off than to educate or teach. You all know the ones where people take pictures of the UPS person delivering their boxes and then stacking their new gear on the table (flossing), contemplating about blue or red PVC, and then never really getting around to reefing at much of a clip. I have no time for any of this. However, the Copps thread on RC is amazing and it is equal parts Copps being Copps and a way for everybody to learn.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that just photos or a build thread mean nothing to me. I get that build threads drive posts and interest, but much to Brew's point, there are a lot of reasons why people have them... so if having a build thread is a pre-req to being a bad-butt, then it might need a human reading to see what kind it is... the ones that want to show off how much they spent at BRS or the ones that are meant to help.
I actually learn from build threads in ways to improve my own. I have looked at a build thread and got ideas for mine. Ways other people have done something I did not think of.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a quick thought, but isn't rehashing some topics the way the hobby advances anyway? I'm thinking that while the same questions may be asked, sometimes the answers to those questions evolve. I understand that to some people answering the same question again gets old (and to those people, I'd suggest not answering...if it isn't enjoyable, don't worry about it...someone else who is knowledgeable and who will enjoy the conversation can chime in and help), but in some ways, it's those continual rehashings that can sometimes lead to breakthroughs. ...and sometimes the common wisdom of the hobby evolves in such a way that the answer to that same old question actually gets a new take... Or am I way off?
I think you're exactly correct. IMHO - people tend to become experts on their own tanks and their own method - and a lot of the 'experts' have opposite views on what should be done with SPS and a lot of other things (which is why 'experts' still disagree about cycling, QT).

My personal opinion - I would not create 'experts' or try to 'rank' posters. Even on this very thread there are some comments saying that 'most of the advice from the Reef Squad is a joke' - (BY THE WAY I DONT AGREE WITH THIS) - just pointing out - everyone is going to have an opinion - and trying to legislate who is 'an expert' -may cause some unintended consequences. For example - I consider Lasse an Expert - because his answers make sense - and he backs up what he says with data, science, etc. Same for Randy Holmes Farley (although last I think I read he doesn't have a tank set up).

I do like the idea (if people want to) of putting experience, etc in their signatures - beyond that - It would be my opinion to let people's answers speak for themselves (thats what makes it a discussion board).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back