I think I have the dreaded Dinos

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_Jake_Simek_ I am going to go back and try to get better pictures of it.

I see them mainly in the sand, but i may see strings on some parts of low rock. In my original picture i do not see the beaks, but do see more off set points on the dinos. I will try to get more pics and videos to see. Thank you for the pdf super helpful!
Yes no problem! It sounds like an odd combination of both. I had both Dinos and GHA at one point and that was a living nightmare. Im surprised the diatoms haven't overtaken the Dinos yet.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes no problem! It sounds like an odd combination of both. I had both Dinos and GHA at one point and that was a living nightmare. Im surprised the diatoms haven't overtaken the Dinos yet.
I am wondering if i should boost some silicates to help the diatoms? my conch hoovers these suckers up

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if i should boost some silicates to help the diatoms? my conch hoovers these suckers up
I don't think that would be a terrible idea, Mabye confirm 100% that you do indeed have Dinos with the microscope and then maybe go that route.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_Jake_Simek_ I am going to go back and try to get better pictures of it.

I see them mainly in the sand, but i may see strings on some parts of low rock. In my original picture i do not see the beaks, but do see more off set points on the dinos. I will try to get more pics and videos to see. Thank you for the pdf super helpful!
Tip if you are trying to get better image in microscope. Rather than looking at the thick Dino snot under the scope, as that can kinda make it difficult to see the individual Dinos.

Just get some of the water that drips from the Dino snot to look at.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got really good pictures and videos of these dinos. Can you help me out ? @BetterJake @_Jake_Simek_ @Koh23 and the rest?

Prorocentrum or Amphidinium is my guess?

1670349959702.png

1670349870192.png

sample 12 06 2022 25.jpg sample 12 06 2022 20.jpg sample 12 06 2022 4.jpg sample 12 06 2022 2.jpg sample 12 06 2022.jpg 1670349774121.png

Attachments

• 221206111357.mp4
    56.5 MB
Last edited:

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Amphidinium, based on the hook in the front.
I second Amphidinium for the same reason, also their swimming pattern based on the video seems to match them as well. Prorocentrum Dinos have a more uniform rounded shape without that hook on the front.

Great pics btw

Last edited:

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so then no UV works, I will have to try other methods

would adding silicate help eradicate these?
I think that is defiantly a good idea, I have personally never done it but I have heard many great success stories from it. I see nothing but benefits by taking that route and worse case it doesn't work and you can try other methods. Just keep an eye out on corals because you may see a depletion of trace elements that could harm them, just don't add too many silicates too quickly. Also keep an eye out for nutrients as to not let them bottom out.

If you don't already have a silicate product I would recommend Brightwell Sponge excel.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding hydrogen peroxyde....

I know that it work great, but... Impact on pod population, crabs, shrimps... Is something that worries me...

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is defiantly a good idea, I have personally never done it but I have heard many great success stories from it. I see nothing but benefits by taking that route and worse case it doesn't work and you can try other methods. Just keep an eye out on corals because you may see a depletion of trace elements that could harm them, just don't add too many silicates too quickly. Also keep an eye out for nutrients as to not let them bottom out.

If you don't already have a silicate product I would recommend Brightwell Sponge excel.
I think I am going to start with pods, and phyto. Order some sponge excel I saw people use this with really good results. Start slow as everything seems to be ok for now.

My main worry is without water changes my trace elements / Ca / Mg/ Alk is dropping for my corals.

I also have 2 fish coming Friday (ordered way before I knew about the dinos) so I will for sure keep testing every parameter daily or 2x daily to make sure it doesn't spiral.

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to start with pods, and phyto. Order some sponge excel I saw people use this with really good results. Start slow as everything seems to be ok for now.

My main worry is without water changes my trace elements / Ca / Mg/ Alk is dropping for my corals.

I also have 2 fish coming Friday (ordered way before I knew about the dinos) so I will for sure keep testing every parameter daily or 2x daily to make sure it doesn't spiral.
Sounds like a good solid plan to me! yes pods and photo worked amazingly too, I have noticed that the Alge on my glass grows much slower since the addition of them. Yes, slow is fast, fast is slow.

During my no water change period, I did still continue dosing, I use BRS additives and it didn't seem to effect anything on the alge side of things.

Yes, testing everyday is key. Especially no3 and po4 and making sure they don't bottom out. Keep the times you test at as consistent as possible throughout the day to ensure all of your trends are as accurate as they can be.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m not dosing yet really except mg since I’m only 3 months in but maybe I will give a touch.

today after dosing 2 days of P04 I finally have a measurable amount!! I haven’t in weeks! Nitrates are solid at like 8-12

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m not dosing yet really except mg since I’m only 3 months in but maybe I will give a touch.

today after dosing 2 days of P04 I finally have a measurable amount!! I haven’t in weeks! Nitrates are solid at like 8-12
That's great! Defiantly keep them detectable, you may want to bring those nitrates down a tad, especially with the addition of new fish. You don't want those to get out of hand cuz nitrates are a pain in the butt sometimes. You are doing great I think you are on the right track.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! Defiantly keep them detectable, you may want to bring those nitrates down a tad, especially with the addition of new fish. You don't want those to get out of hand cuz nitrates are a pain in the butt sometimes. You are doing great I think you are on the right track.
Yes I did dose some nitrates yesterday. I think I’m going to go to every other day. And reduce my dose a tiny bit to zero it in

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help with the specific type?? It looks like both diatoms and Dino’s

The pics are very "crowded" but the majority of what can be made out in the picture are diatoms. I dont see any specific dinos in the pictures. 3 month old tank is kind of early for dinos but in the sweet spot for diatoms.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have nitrates doing well and phosphate doing well. I’ve been dosing MB7 and phyto with pods. I’ve also gotten sponge excel and have been slowly dosing that to increase diatoms.

Things are going well. I’m seeing less and less bubbles and looks to be slightly clearing up with the Dino look and seem to be more diatom looking.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am noticing my water seems more yellow. Is this just excess nutrients / algae? Should I run some carbon / purigen or something to clear it up? Or let it get all nasty to out compete the Dino?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back